Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

Experts please critique this build before I give the go ahead.

Hello, this (my) current computer is barely functioning, as such it's almost impossible for me to surf the forums reading up on the latest builds. Also I'm out of touch with the new stuff so most of these componants are over my head. I am likely going to put a deposit to have a new computer built in a few days. My only gaming is FSX. I have the original FSX (non-deluxe) on CD, and then upgrade to acceleration on CD. I will do a fresh install when I get the new computer, not sure if I should re-install the CD's I have or go that new Steam route, or try and find a copy of FSX Gold? My add-ons are lots of Orbx regions, and aircraft such as A2A and iFly, Real Air etc. I also have REX and newest active sky. Not looking forward to reinstalling all that stuff.

Anyway can you please look at these componants and tell me if it's fine, or do you see any issues:

- CPU- i74790   Intel i7 4790 3.66 GHz S1150 8mb

- MB Max7Hero   Asus Maximus VII Hereo Z97

- NRKHX16C10F/8   Kn HyoerX Fury Blue 8GB - 1600MHz

- VC-N970WF30C4GD   Gigabyt GTX970 4GB DDR5

- SSD- MZ7TE500BW   Samsung 500GB 840 EVA Sata3

- DVD- GH24NSCO   LG GH24NSCO 24x Sata DVD/RW

- PS-CMG750M   Coolmaster G750M 750W 80+ PS

- CS-CMSCOUT2   CM Storm Scout 2 W/Window NO/PS

- Fan-CMH212EVO   Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO

- OS-W7HP64   Windows 7 Home Prem 64 Bit

I suppose if I have any concerns, is the 750w power suppy enough?, and Windows 7, or should I get whatever is the newest? 

Also they said they will overclock my CPU for me somewhat and test to get more from it, but they won't try and max it out and I don't want to complcate things so I'm fine with that.

Thank you for your time, it's very much appreciated.    

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

Your CPU needs to be a 4790K,  not 4790 for any overclocking to be possible.. double check that.

Windows 7-64 is good, as is the power supply.

Your RAM needs to be either 2X8 GB or 2X4 GB, not 1X8 GB.

Bert

Your CPU needs to be a 4790K,  not 4790 for any overclocking to be possible.. double check that.

Windows 7-64 is good, as is the power supply.

Agreed....spend a little more on a "K" model and get more value. (plus its the only model line that overclocks)

I just got a new rig, 4790K that easily overclocked to 4.7ghz... and its a huge factor in flightsim performance.

Overclocking these days is a no-brainer...most motherboards have a built-in "Tuning" app that will automatically (and safely) overclock your processor...no need to adjust voltages, multipliers, frequencies, etc.  To be honest...all that talk that made my head spin, and I thought I'd never "overclock"...but with my motherboard, it was a one-click affair.

So...if you have a company that is going to overclock it for you...save the money they'll charge you and do it yourself with your MB's tuning app.  (I'm pretty sure that Asus board has one).

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Wow, I'm so glad I posted this even with my computer running on 1 cylinder.

I will double check the CPU, I think you guys caught an oversite by them, also will double check the ram too.

It's a small local computer company, and in fairness they are not Flight Simmers so that's why I run it by the best (you guys). That CPU isn't one they normally carry so they may not be too familiar with it. I've read here recently about you guys speaking highly of the 4790K so I told them that, maybe they missed the "K" part. They are definately charging me to overclock, and thats fair but worse is they want to keep the new build for the better part of a week and do it in stages & test etc. Based on what I read about O/C I'd never try it myself, but I had no idea things have changed to make it so easy now. Not only would me doing the O/C save money but more importantly is getting the computer home faster.

Can anybody confirm for me that the Asus MaximusVII Hero Z97 has the built in app to easilly overclock? Or is there a different/better motherboard I should get to do that? Sorry if that's a loaded question.

Thanks again.

Be careful about Asus MOBOs.  Some of them have a defective bios clock.  I know - I have a Z97 deluxe with a defective clock.  In which case if you are using PMDG add ons (737 & 777) they will malfunction.

PMDG does not recommend Asus MOBOs.  Asus has been working on finding a fix but to my knowledge have been unable to do so.

Lon Duncombe

and GTX 970 isnt 4GB, its only 3.5 GB RAM. Not future proof if you are upgrading to a 4k.

Matt

Personally I like Asus motherboards, and if it were me, I would get the shop to do the overclocking.

Don't know what it is about the GTX970, but me thinks we are getting overly picky here..

I would say, go with your original plan (with the K-CPU, and dual channel RAM).

Bert

Try to find some faster RAM as opposed to the oft-standard 1600mhz. And, also, when you look for faster RAM (e.g. above 2000mhz), make sure the timings aren't too high, e.g. CAS9 or 10 at the most. Anything under 2000mhz is bottlenecking your CPU to a much larger extent.

I've been able to run this stuff at spec:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231638

...although it currently looks to be out of stock. Their CAS10 looks to be much easier to find. You really don't need much more than 8Gb since 1) FSX/P3D can't address more than 4GB in a 64-bit operating system and 2) perhaps you won't be trying to run a bunch of other applications while you're simming.

Be careful about Asus MOBOs. Some of them have a defective bios clock. I know - I have a Z97 deluxe with a defective clock. In which case if you are using PMDG add ons (737 & 777) they will malfunction.

PMDG does not recommend Asus MOBOs. Asus has been working on finding a fix but to my knowledge have been unable to do so.

Lon Duncombe

listen to this guy asus mobos are sketchy specially the z97s go for another brand

If you are going to be overclocking the 4790k I would be going for a better cooling solution than a 212.  I would be looking at a H80i or similar

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Quite agree with Greg

G.Skill Trident X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2400 is fantastic. In my unit. :wink:

Clayton 

and GTX 970 isnt 4GB, its only 3.5 GB RAM. Not future proof if you are upgrading to a 4k.

Matt

Marketing 101, but for fsx 970 will handle fsx no problems. With 4k coming up the 970 gtx will be fine till x70 in 2018 comes out.

Hated that nividia turn 960 into just over-clock 750ti.

I just built a new system about a month ago. I picked the components and had a local shop assemble everything.

I had to return a Hero because it quit after 3 days. It also fried a couple components. When I was in line at Microcenter to return it, the guy behind me was also returning a Hero and replacing it with a Formula. I debating getting another Hero, so I asked the girl at the counter if she was getting a lot of them back. She said she has seen a few of them come back but she has not seen many Formulas come back, so I went with the Formula.

I know this isn't great evidence, but if you have a little extra cash, go for the Formula. With the 4790k, I was able to get it to 4.6 with a couple clicks in the bios using their ez tweak option (or what ever it is called). Keep in mind that you should check your power supply with the Formula because it needs an extra connector. Also, from a quick search, it looks like the bios clock issue is with the Heros

I also agree that you should go with 2x8 (or 2x4) G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 2400. 2400 CL10 will be faster than the sticks you have listed. I think you can get the 8GB kit at CL9.

I was originally going to go with the highest end fan I could find, but the Corsair products are reasonably priced. I ended up with a H110.

Anyway, that's the process I went though FWIW.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Hi everybody, I just wanted to post an update for you guys that took the time to give me input. I just got my new computer a couple days ago and I now have a lot or work to re-install all kinds of programs, including FSX with lots of aircraft and scenery.

Anyway here is what I got:

- Intel i7-4790K 4Ghz S1150 8MB

- Asus Maximus Vii Hero Z97

- Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400 Mhz

- GTX970 Gaming 4GB

- LG GH24NSCO 24X Sata DVD

- Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500 GB

- Coolmaster G750M 750W 80+ pS

- CM Storm Scout 2 w/window

- Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

- Noctua NH-D14 fan

I had them overclock it for me and I advised them I don't need them to squeeze every bit out that they can, I'm just looking for a nice improvement. Anyway they said that the board(s) were very good quality as it was one of the easiest and most stable O/C they have ever done. They stress tested it for several days with temps around 73 degrees which they were really happy with. It's at 4.6ghz. 

Also I had a newer 1TB hard drive in my old computer which I got them to move over to this new computer, so I do have lots of hard drive space. Should I install FSX on the new solid state hard drive or on the 1 TB regular hard drive, and should all my FSX stuff be on the same hard drive?

Hi everybody, 

"Should I install FSX on the new solid state hard drive or on the 1 TB regular hard drive"

Yes make a folder on your c:drive call it fsx load it there - ssd will perform better and it will be much easier to keep track of everything - other stuff chuck on the other drive - this is what I do and its the cleanest solution

Rich Sennett