Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

Experts please critique this build before I give the go ahead.

Something to think about on the OC. The 4790k runs a turbo speed of 4.4GHz. With mine OC'd to 4.6GHz the temps are 68-70C (on air). If I remove the OC and let it run at the standard 4.4GHz turbo speed the temps drop to 50-52C. And I'll guarantee that you can't tell the difference between 4.4GHz and 4.6Ghz....but the CPU can. Is the OC worth it??

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Just another update everybody. I've had my puter for a couple weeks now, and finally re-installed all my Orbx scenery, aircraft such as A2A, Real Air, Carenados, and picked up some new stuff like Active Sky Next, Ultimate Traffic 2, REX 4, and updated version of Plan-G. Boy it was a lot of work, time, reading etc, and that is exactly why I put off upgrading my computer for the last few years.

Anyway I must say I am extremely happy with my new rig and these add-ons which make FSX so much more enjoyable. To be able to run my sliders to the right, with complex aircraft, outstanding weather and traffic is hard to describe. Flying around Seattle used to be a slide show, and now it's completely transformed it in so many different ways and very smooth. I also have Tahiti X and a few others that I had to run at low settings before,  so to see these areas in much better detail is a whole new experience. :-)

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

And I'll guarantee that you can't tell the difference between 4.4GHz and 4.6Ghz....but the CPU can. Is the OC worth it??

I agree with this statement thats for sure - more problems than its worth if you have a slower cpu over clock that thing but not to crazy as it will become very unstable really fast

Rich Sennett

Something to think about on the OC. The 4790k runs a turbo speed of 4.4GHz. With mine OC'd to 4.6GHz the temps are 68-70C (on air). If I remove the OC and let it run at the standard 4.4GHz turbo speed the temps drop to 50-52C. And I'll guarantee that you can't tell the difference between 4.4GHz and 4.6Ghz....but the CPU can. Is the OC worth it??

Doug

I overclocked I7 4790K @4.7GHZ with just 1,25volt (recommended by intel is under 1,3v) the temps are under 70^ and it never crashes. Plus i overclocked the GPU from 1080 to 1200mhz, RAM from 1600 to 1866 mhz and now even the CPU cache from 3,9ghz (auto) to 4,6ghz (1,26v). (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/465624-the-importance-of-cache-freq-overclock-in-p3d/#entry3208817)

With ASUS Z97-P (even the more economic asus Z97 mobo) no issues / CTD / BSOD / crashes and i can see the difference

Limiting just to the CPU OC, according to benchmark my CPU is faster by about 6.5% on the stock...  of course if you run the sim all day 50^ could be a better choice than 70^, but using it 2H a day i don't think an haswell CPU may be will be minimally impacted in its life expectancy with that temps. Infact, i've read that for some cpu voltage of 1.25 is preset by intel.

Plus running it 2-3H a day I think you will replace it anyway before its life will be coming to an end. Of course if it is your work PC, or it runs H24, the situation is different.

Otherwise, why not to take the most from your hardware if it comes with no cost?