Sign in to follow this  
Westcoastpilot

Feeling like I'm not getting the most out of my GPU

Hi All,

I run P3Dv2 on my system using an AMD HD7870 2GB GPU on a 24" monitor. Ever since I installed it, it's been performing great, giving me ~60 FPS on pretty much any game I throw at it.

However, I don't feel that I'm getting the most out of it. What I mean by that is whenever I'm running a graphic-intensive program OTHER than P3D, I can clearly hear my GPU's fans, and they get quite loud as the card heats up. When I run P3D, however, the fans never get as loud as when I run other games, making me think that whenever I run P3D, I'm not getting the most out of my card. I average around 30 FPS in P3D with medium-high to high settings, but I'm feeling like I could be getting more. Any suggestions?

Is this a dumb question or does this make sense? Maybe my GPU is running normally, or maybe there is something I can do to make it run better when using P3D?

Thanks

Gabriel - CYVR canada_flag.gif

P3D uses the core programing of FSX.  FSX uses the CPU far more than the GPU, so when running FSX or P3D, don't expect to hear the fan on your graphics card scream, but the fan on the CPU cooler will definitely run faster.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Welcome to the world of non PD3 Optimized Graphics cards.  Yes you are getting the most out of your card at the moment as we all wait for updated drivers/profiles from the specific card makers.   When i run Battlefield or Far Cry 4 my system will easily belt out 60 FPS on very high settings, my fans will be loud and it will actually raise the temperature of my small sitting room be quite a bit. When i run PD3, my fans are quietish with very little heat,  hence non optimized card drivers.  

In PD3 V2.5 on a fresh install sitting in my very beautiful  777 i am getting 28 FPS at most,  with no other Ad On's. 

P3D uses the core programing of FSX.  FSX uses the CPU far more than the GPU, so when running FSX or P3D, don't expect to hear the fan on your graphics card scream, but the fan on the CPU cooler will definitely run faster.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure. Come to think of it, I do hear my CPU fan more than my GPU fan when I run P3D. 

When i run Battlefield or Far Cry 4 my system will easily belt out 60 FPS on very high settings, my fans will be loud and it will actually raise the temperature of my small sitting room be quite a bit. When i run PD3, my fans are quietish with very little heat,  hence non optimized card drivers.  

Sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.

as we all wait for updated drivers/profiles from the specific card makers.

Forgive my ignorance, but has it been made known if the release of these drivers is somewhere in the foreseeable future?

Gabriel - CYVR canada_flag.gif