Sign in to follow this  

60Hz HDMI 2.0 and my Sony 4K monitor and 970 GTX ... impressed!

Just thought I'd share.

I removed my Titan Blacks from my now old PC into my new PC ... so I picked up a 970 GTX 4GB since it has HDMI 2.0 output ... and to my pleasure it was producing 60Hz refresh at 3840 x 2160.

7a44f63842c1f43558a344a5b22011ad.jpg

Being the type that doesn't believe what I see ... I fired up Diablo III to make sure I was indeed getting a 60Hz at 3840 x 2160.  Why Diablo III you ask, well for several reason ...

1.  DX11

2.  Has Vsync support

3.  I can set maximum background and foreground frame rate limiters

4.  I can set it to run full screen mode or window mode

In other words it's the perfect test application.

Now the plot thickens, the 970 GTX is performing extremely well in my now old rig ... heck even recording at 4K resolutions has little to no impact in performance.  And P3D performance was MUCH better than I thought it would be ... given the price point of the 970 GTX OC 4GB at only $329, I'm thinking for those on a budget, this card really delivers considerable performance ... almost embarrassing at how good it is relative to my Titan Blacks.

Anyway, what I found interesting ... and this might be related to P3D not running in full screen mode ... P3D (window mode) would Vsync to 30 Hz, Diablo III "true" full screen mode would Vsync to 60 Hz ... but my desktop IS operating at 60 Hz ... so why the anomaly?  I'll dig into this more because I know P3D just reads what the device reports (i.e. whatever nVidia drivers report).  

Cheers, Rob. 

I should add this is operating at YCbCr 4:4:4 color space @ 60Hz (sony monitor with HDMI 2.0 http://store.sony.com/48.5-diag-x850b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR49X850B/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs  ... here is a quick sample 4K video:

YouTube doesn't do the actual experience justice, was VERY smooth ... included frame rate counter upper left.  File sizes are obviously huge so will not be practical to do a video of any length.

This is using my settings here: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_4K_Long_Haul.html

Cheers, Rob.

No, this is paired with my now "old" PC (the 3960X) ... I just wanted to see how the 970 GTX 4GB performed in P3D (which I'll be wiping shortly).  I was really surprised at how well it performed and the HDMI 2.0 output at 60Hz YCbCr 4:4:4 was just an added bonus.

Makes me wonder how well the 980 GTX will perform ... if they just sold a 980 with more than 4GB, I'd probably give up my Titan Blacks for a pair of 980's.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that recording at 4K takes away from the GPU as well as the CPU as it has to stream that recorded data to my SSD.

I'll be watching for the results. I'm using a single MSI GTX 980 with the 3960X.  Doubt I'll ever be making performance tests, as I'm just getting older. These threads are certainly interesting!

Hey Rob, that is great info. Wanting to upgrade my visuals this spring and thinking 4K. How big is your monitor, and what FSX are you running? Do you recommend P3D? Very interesting info, Thanks!

Not running FSX, running P3D v2.5.

Monitor is a Sony 48" (see link above).  I consider the 970 GTX 4GB a mid range card at $329 but was very impressed at how well it works in P3D and a few other FS titles I have.

Key surprise it that my Sony can do YCbCr 4:4:4 at 60Hz via HDMI 2.0 port (and appropriate HDMI cable type) ... I didn't think it could since the documentation suggested otherwise ... but I've gone thru about 5 automatic firmware updates for the Sony so maybe one brought 60Hz 4:4:4 support.  My Titan Blacks only support HDMI 1.4 so they can't operate at 60hz only 30Hz.

I know other's have been looking for 4K TV that do 4:4:4 at 60Hz so I can confirm my Sony will do that when paired with a nVidia 970 GTX using HDMI 2.0.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Very interesting regarding the above. I've been following your various builds recently, as I'll be making a new p3d rig soon. I was thinking of a 3 monitor setup, but this seems a step up. How far from it do you sit would be my only concern I think?

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Rob

Rob

Hi Rob,

I sit about 3 feet (ish) away from the Sony ... it produces close to no heat if you're concerned about that, it's very power efficient.  I use the Sony for work also so I'm in front of it 12 hours a day, no strain or fatigue.  If I ever build a dedicated "simulation" room in my house, I'll probably go with the 70" here: http://store.sony.com/69.5-diag-x850b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR70X850B/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

Cheers, Rob.

Seriously Rob, That video is not smooth, its full of stutters. :lol:  nice for a cheap card.

Rick

tpewpb-6.png

That video is not smooth, its full of stutters.

Hi Rick,

Agree the video isn't smooth, but my in Sim experience was actually much smoother - the recording doesn't do it justice ... but there again I haven't seen any "true" 4K YouTube video yet that is smooth ... even "real world" content ... maybe if I watch at 3am :)

Keep in mind I can't record at 4K with my Titan Blacks, limited to 1440p ... so that less expensive (by about 60%) 970 GTX 4GB can do things my Titan Blacks can't ... and the 970 GTX has HDMI 2.0 support with full 60Hz and YCbCr444 color space ... again something my Titan Blacks don't have.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm in front of it 12 hours a day, no strain or fatigue.

Rob is this Win 7 or 8.

I thought Win 7 desktop 4K scaling was supposed to be pretty ugly?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Rob is this Win 7 or 8.

Win 7 ... not sure I understand why Win 7 desktop would scale any different than Win 8.x?  Anyway, think you stumble into Urban legend, Win 7 desktop is great at 3840 x 2160 ... very productive having everything available without having to constantly window "shop" ... haha.

Have you tested RGB Full. I noticed Nvidia fixed the HDMI RGB bug where it is always at Limited in the 347.xx series (I use the most recent driver which has the PAPI Lights fix, 347.52).

Júnior Silva