Sign in to follow this  

60Hz HDMI 2.0 and my Sony 4K monitor and 970 GTX ... impressed!

I'm very happy and impressed with the smoothness and stunning visual quality I'm getting using 2 GTX 970's in SLI.

Running at 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz refresh rate In Windows 10 and both FSX-SE and P3D v2.5

The monitor is a Samsung UHD 78" Curved Screen.(UH9000)

Using a Monster HDMI 2.0, thick cable plugged into port 2 (hdmi/dvi)

Latest samsung update and settings to HDMI UHD Color (4.4.4)

I think a recent samsung update might have something to do with my recent sucess with 60hz. For weeks my attempts would result in black screens or device not found.

Couldn't be happier now though.

Cheers

Steve

Have you tested RGB Full.

Yes, but not extensively ... reporting 60Hz via HDMI 2.0.  However, my Sony seems to favor YCrCb as it has opened up a wealth of display adjustments (via Sony not nVidia) that I didn't have with RGB input.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes, but not extensively ... reporting 60Hz via HDMI 2.0.  However, my Sony seems to favor YCrCb as it has opened up a wealth of display adjustments (via Sony not nVidia) that I didn't have with RGB input.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess each monitor is different. I use an ASUS VN247H (1920x1080) and it worked best at RGB Full (on YCbCr, I found it hard to see a light yellow object on a very light bluish gray color). I also use a GTX 970 (only one as I use one 1080p monitor). The one I use is an EVGA GTX 970 FTW.

Júnior Silva

he monitor is a Samsung UHD 78" Curved Screen.(UH9000)

Using a Monster HDMI 2.0, thick cable plugged into port 2 (hdmi/dvi)

Latest samsung update and settings to HDMI UHD Color (4.4.4)

Thanks, been waiting for a UH9000 report.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

That is huge!!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That's perfect ... but wait for the 8K version :)

Cheers, Rob.

Will current cards be able to drive it?

Yes, but not very well -- but on the plus side we'll probably not need to use AA any more.  But you can be sure nVidia (and hopefully AMD) will be there to support 8K resolution.  If you think about it SGSS 4X on 4K monitor has about the same processing requirements as 8K monitor with no AA ... I've run SGSS 4X on my 4K and it does work, but there is a performance hit about 30%.

Sharp, Sony, LG, Samsung have all demo'd 8K TVs ... I'm sure they'll be initially expensive but they should also cause 4K prices to drop even more.  So who's gonna test out Sharps 85" and 80" 8K TV first?

Cheers, Rob.

Does the 8K stand for $8,000? 

Maybe initially, but as with 4K, prices will drop rapidly within 12 months.

Cheers, Rob.

Just joined the 4K club with a 49 inch LG 120 hz TV. Have not hooked it up yet but do not think my 3 mb GTX 580 will up for it. Hopefully picking up a 970 tomorrow. Time to update the video drivers also. After reading your post Rob I got inspired.

Just joined the 4K club with a 49 inch LG 120 hz TV. Have not hooked it up yet but do not think my 3 mb GTX 580 will up for it. Hopefully picking up a 970 tomorrow. Time to update the video drivers also. After reading your post Rob I got inspired.

Good job

I get my Phillips 4K today.  It should be delivered within the hour.  Well excited

Interestingly, I upgraded my graphics card from a 780 3gb to a 970 4gb strix, and have noticed NO difference in framerates at EGLL in the 777. (about 20fps in VC).

Gordon did forewarn me that this might be the case, and indeed it is.  Although this was purely a ground stationary test - I haven't actually taxied or flown with the new card yet.   Somewhat disappointed as all other settings were unchanged.

After more testing of my new setup, I am thrilled with the new monitor and card.  Overall, I'm finding it a smooth experience.  Flying the 777 is much more pleasing - and flying in Alaska is amazing, as the experience is so much more immersive.  At the moment I am completely immersed in 'training' myself on the 777 and the 40' monitor just makes that a whole lot more fun.

One thing though.  My anti-aliasing needs some attention and I'm not sure how to achieve best results.   Is nayone using Nvidia inspector or is anyone willing to share their Nvidia control panel settings?

Wow...so those of us still running the 770 on a 24 inch monitor 60 hz will still be plagued with the dreaded stutters re the lack of FSM until such time as we all go to 4k screens and monster GC's!

It is a bit like the old days when FSX first came did not run well on the hardware then and is only now capable of doing so...I thought P3d would be a step forward but once again to run it well I need to throw more money at this hobby......could be a while before my bank balance allows such luxuries..

Still nice to see it's capabilities!

I'd like to hear your feedback on your new setup.