Sign in to follow this  
Driftingisfun106

FSX LOD help (Blurry textures from afar).

I seriously need help with my LOD, and I don't understand how to fix it with other people's computer setups... So here are my specs...

Intel i3-3220T @2.80 ghz

4 gigs of RAM

Windows 8.1 x64

And Intel 4000 graphics

The specs run well in rural areas and smaller airports averaging about 20 fps (locked at 20)

Bigger airports/cities like KJFK will drop my frames until everything loads (about 5 minutes or so once I get in the sim)

I average about 12 frames in bigger airports. But I don't really care much about the frames here, I really want to increase my LOD because whenever I look out the window, I hate seeing blurry textures and then they all randomly load in... I don't want to increase it too drastically, but just enough to where I can't tell. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but you need a much faster system to achieve that goal.

Bert

Sorry, I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but you need a much faster system to achieve that goal.

Haha it's fine, I'll need to upgrade my RAM soon anyway, but I might as well get a gaming computer all together... But I have fixed some of the blurries, the more I fly around the better the LOD is which is sort of strange, but it works lol.

Do you mean LOD radius? In that case, you can increase this value in the FSX.cfg from default 4.5 to 6.5. The visuals should be a little better. I hear some even get nicer visuals with a value of 5.5. However, this will also drain VAS quicker and lead to OOMs. Your choice.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

There's stuff you can check to improve matters:

Make sure Hyperthreading is enabled.

In "C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg" add the lines:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

In FSX Display settings, choose Medium draw radius and Autogen. Try lower display and other settings first, then see if you can get more later.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I seriously need help with my LOD, and I don't understand how to fix it with other people's computer setups... So here are my specs...

Intel i3-3220T @2.80 ghz

4 gigs of RAM

Windows 8.1 x64

And Intel 4000 graphics

The specs run well in rural areas and smaller airports averaging about 20 fps (locked at 20)

Bigger airports/cities like KJFK will drop my frames until everything loads (about 5 minutes or so once I get in the sim)

I average about 12 frames in bigger airports. But I don't really care much about the frames here, I really want to increase my LOD because whenever I look out the window, I hate seeing blurry textures and then they all randomly load in... I don't want to increase it too drastically, but just enough to where I can't tell. Any suggestions?

I think the biggest problem is that your CPU cannot process the data fast enough.  A CPU at 2.80 GHz and Intel GPU simply is not going to give you good performance.  FSX runs best on multi-core CPU's as close to or beyond 4 GHz and Nvidia GPU's tend to produce the best graphics with FSX.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

You can still get a lot of enjoyment using FSX on an old system with a very good display and frame-rates, with a few qualifications. I use a Q9400 processor  (2.8 MHz same as you) with an old 1 MB Nvidia GTS 250,  at 1920x1080 dual display.

1. DX10 mode using Steve's fixer is an absolute must and works very well on a Win8 system.

2. You really can't fly airliners because of required texture loading rates. But GA aircraft, particularly

default ones, run very well. I use almost excusively the Maule which in my opinion is very well done.

3. Orbx scenery will run very well, A good example is New Zealand. Even detailed add on airport

scenery by them runs well eg. Milford Sound. I really enjoy the approach into this one and now have a

real life visit there on my bucket list.

4. I have found setting trees and buildings in autogen to 900 / 1300 in the config.,  in combination with very dense in the FSX menu, gives a pleasing display that is not taxing my system with the Orbx scenery.

5. Someone suggested for blurries a mesh resolution of 19m which Orbx does not recommend, but I do use it without adverse effect

that I have seen and for me it does help with the "blurries" issue  on my system.

6. I run unlimited in FSX but lock frames to a pleasing 25 externally using a prog called Dxtory. May drop to

high teens into a more detailed airport like NZQN , but no issue at all with all the smaller ones in the Orbx pkg.

7. If you want AI,  limit it using Air Traffic Mgr ( in my case to only 2 aircraft in your immediate vicinity)

Hope some of this is encouraging and helpful

Larry