Sign in to follow this  
gfd

Spoilers

I have just purchased the 777 for P3D. I'm in 2.5. Getting things setup in the cockpit. Have most axes setup, but I have a question about the speed brake lever. I have the axis on the Saitek throttle reversed to emulate the position in the cockpit. I would like to have the full travel dedicated to raising and lowering the spoilers, and use a rocker switch to arm/disarm the brake. However, near, the top of the travel, the speed brake arms itself. That would be cool if I had a detente at the top, but I don't. Therefore, if I don't look, I won't know if I am lowering or arming the brake. Is there a change I can make to have the full travel raise/lower only? I am using FSUIPC to program the axes.

Great plane. Am looking forward to this. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Graham Derreck

CYMM

I think this would be better off in the P3D forum as it's more to do with Axis assignment in P3D than the 777.

Cheers,
Chris Brand
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thanks. Perhaps moderator could move if advisable. Thanks

Regards,

Graham Derreck

CYMM

I too have tried to setup the spoilers to a hardware spoiler lever with FSUIPC.

It is one of the last things I can not get woking right.....or not perfectly right.

Mostly I think because of not understanding those spoiler values in FSUIPC!

So first, read the FSUIPC manual about the spoilers, maybe you do understand this part.

For me it works best when I just calibrate a minmum and maximum value in FSUIPC for the top and bottom position of my spoiler lever and leave those two values in the middle at 512.

This gives me the full spoiler range. But sometimes the spoiler arms when the hardware lever is close to the top and sometimes it does not.

quite annoying.

However, there is no reason to be looking at the PMDG777 spoiler lever to determain its position!

If the spoilers are armed you will see a message on EICAS.

No message = not armed.

And then there is the sound of arming/disarming the spoilers (click).

So no message + your hardware spoiler lever not at the top = extended.

I have linked a hardware switch to the PMDG777 CDU option arm/disarm spoilers.

(so in addition to the hardware spoiler axis).

This way if the spoilers arm/disarm unintentionally (as I said this happens a lot) then I just hit this toggle switch to change from armed to disarmed or vice versa.

Rob Robson

I too have tried to setup the spoilers to a hardware spoiler lever with FSUIPC.

It is one of the last things I can not get woking right.....or not perfectly right.

Mostly I think because of not understanding those spoiler values in FSUIPC!

So first, read the FSUIPC manual about the spoilers, maybe you do understand this part.

For me it works best when I just calibrate a minmum and maximum value in FSUIPC for the top and bottom position of my spoiler lever and leave those two values in the middle at 512.

This gives me the full spoiler range. But sometimes the spoiler arms when the hardware lever is close to the top and sometimes it does not.

quite annoying.

However, there is no reason to be looking at the PMDG777 spoiler lever to determain its position!

If the spoilers are armed you will see a message on EICAS.

No message = not armed.

And then there is the sound of arming/disarming the spoilers (click).

So no message + your hardware spoiler lever not at the top = extended.

I have linked a hardware switch to the PMDG777 CDU option arm/disarm spoilers.

(so in addition to the hardware spoiler axis).

This way if the spoilers arm/disarm unintentionally (as I said this happens a lot) then I just hit this toggle switch to change from armed to disarmed or vice versa.

Thanks Rob,

Glad it wasn't just me. Misery loves company. Thanks also for telling me what the plane will say to me. I am totally new with this aircraft and I want to get it right. I use a Saitek throttle for spoilers, etc. I will program the rocker switch below the lever.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Graham Derreck

CYMM