Sign in to follow this  
era66

SIDs and STARs - Annoying Last Minute Changes

Anyone know of any apps (freeware or payware) or web source that I can QUICKLY use to find the appropriate SID during departure, or STAR during arrival, depending on which runway I was directed to use by control? Sometimes, I find myself ready to taxi only to be told by ground control to takeoff on a different runway than the one I've already programmed in the FMC, or I'm coming in on an approach via a STAR already programmed into my flight plan, and approach will instruct me a different landing runway. I use PFPX as my flight planner, but it's annoying to have to "pause" the sim, reopen PFPX and go through all the steps to see which SID or STAR to use based on which direction (i.e. north, south, east, west, etc) I was originally heading to or coming from before the change was issued.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Era

Elmo Acio

It's hard to replace the gray matter that is inherent in every human being. No computer can do it quite that well yet.

— General John P. Jumper, USAF Chief of Staff, 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, April 2007

Era,

I use vroute sometimes.  Once I get the route, I keep it minimized in case there are any last minute changes.  It automatically suggest a terminal procedures based on runway, which you can dynamically change.  Suggest first trying the freeware version.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Hello,

Nothing like taking time preparing well for an IFR flight; especially a flight with live ATC service.

Using weather forecast should help narrowing down the RWYs one would most likely be asked to depart / land. And from there, carefully examining the SIDs and STARs / IFR Approach procedures more likely to be used, and have those ready on-hand.

Incidentally, that is why the Flight Plane one files must not include SID, STAR neither Approach.

Regards

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

Thanks, guys . . . Will take a look at vroute. Also makes sense not putting any SID or STAR too early. I wonder how often these changes before and during flight in real life?

Era

Elmo Acio

It's hard to replace the gray matter that is inherent in every human being. No computer can do it quite that well yet.

— General John P. Jumper, USAF Chief of Staff, 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, April 2007

Thanks, guys . . . Will take a look at vroute. Also makes sense not putting any SID or STAR too early. I wonder how often these changes before and during flight in real life?

Era

Often - Welcome to the real world! If you're departing/arriving from/at an airport with parallel rwys you should "expect" changes!

Like others have said, when using ATC I never specify the SID/STAR in the flight plan. I only program the FMC when Radar Contact announces the departure/arrival runway. RC has options to let you fly your SID/STAR's without interference.

Electronic Flight Bag is an excellent utility for identifying SIDs and STARs albeit quite expensive. But it does so much more I would never fly without it.

Visual representation of each clearly laid out for you. Use it in conjunction with your CDU to reprogram the new SID or STAR. :good:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather