Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

777 jerks slightly when setting a new course in LNAV mode

I did my first 777 flight in P3D today which was awesome.  But I've noticed a tendency for the aircraft to jerk slightly in the direction of the turn when it sets a new course in LNAV mode. At soon as the new course is set which requires for example a left turn, instead of smoothly rolling onto the new course a slight jerk happens and the aircraft then rolls left onto its new heading.    Is this a known anomaly ?

Thanks

ERICH BERNER

Not a normal complaint.  Is the bank increasing, stopping, then resuming or is it increasing then jumping to increased bank?  I suspect you are witnessing a small stutter, which is caused by the platform.  P3Dv2.4 had some stutter issues, are you using v2.5?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi there,

No, I'm using 2,4. 

I'm doing short sectors at the moment to teach myself the fundementals of the systems so am hopping bewteen London and Amsterdam.  

I didn't notice any of this behavior and my flight last night though, so perhaps it is related to the 2.4 stuttering issue you've  mentioned.  I'll try again tonight and report back.

thanks for the reply

ERICH BERNER

By the way, I like your avatar picture.... I'm still looking for the 'inflate otto' button in the B777

Dan Downs KCRP

By the way, I like your avatar picture.... I'm still looking for the 'inflate otto' button in the B777

Yes, it's a great metaphor for most of us here.  Frustrated Avsim forum pilots - always getting their nickers in a twist....

You can see the same stutters on banking even with GA aircraft.  In steep turn you can see the sim slightly jump and jump.  Alas the same problem exists in 2.5 as well.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

You can see the same stutters on banking even with GA aircraft.  In steep turn you can see the sim slightly jump and jump.  Alas the same problem exists in 2.5 as well.

Well, to be more specific to my original post....

The jerking happens on the roll axis.  When the aircraft banks left (or right)  to engage its new course, it rolls very quickly (in a jerking movement) to the left or right, probably to the extent of about 2 or 3 degrees  (which is is obviously quite noticeable) and then continues the roll as normal.    I'm not entirely sure that  it's related to the stuttering issue in  P3D  because it is consistent in every turn in LNAV at the same point.  However, I can't see that it is a problem with the plane itself.  I suspect I have something set, either in the sim or elsewhere causing this behavior, as no-one else seems to be experiencing it.

I was about to test this all again last night, but unfortunately,  as I was thundering down the runway on 27L at EGLL using TOGA.... just before V1, my thrust suddently reduced to idle.  I'm not entiely sure what went wrong there, but I found it quite an (enjoyable) unforseen event, and it just proves that there is always (much) more to learn.   I had no obvious annunciations or warnings that anything was wrong.

As I get older,  I'm starting to enjoy study sims ALOT more than I did 10 years ago. 

ERICH BERNER

However, I can't see that it is a problem with the plane itself.  I suspect I have something set, either in the sim or elsewhere causing this behavior, as no-one else seems to be experiencing it.

I am experiencing this with GA aircrafts, so it's not the 777.  The effect is there despite high FPS and you can only ignore it if you look far in the horizon, but turn your eye corner and it's there.  Some will accept this stutters but I can't, so P3D 2.5 is now back to the shelve.  Beside I just realized that P3D is a new sim, and I am going to have to spend more money getting sometime the same add-on again.  The main reason that I have not bought the PMDG 777 P3D license yet.  May be someday I will, but not today.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I am experiencing this with GA aircrafts, so it's not the 777.  The effect is there despite high FPS and you can only ignore it if you look far in the horizon, but turn your eye corner and it's there.  Some will accept this stutters but I can't, so P3D 2.5 is now back to the shelve.  Beside I just realized that P3D is a new sim, and I am going to have to spend more money getting sometime the same add-on again.  The main reason that I have not bought the PMDG 777 P3D license yet.  May be someday I will, but not today.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm loving the 777 and it was definitely money well spent.  However, I didn't purchase the FSX version because I knew I'd be moving to P3D ultimately, so I bit the bullet for a few months.    I still have more testing to do.  I've only flown EGLL-EHAM and back and only really noticed it on the outbound sector.  So I need to test some more.  Hopefully it 'sorts itself out' or i just get used to it.  But it is annoying nonetheless.