Sign in to follow this  
Manny

777 AT Question

I have been flying the 777 in FSX and I was very comfortable with  the Auto Throttle and its behavior.

Now in P3D, the 777 Auto Throttle seems to behave differently

1) Sometimes It does NOT engage auto throttle when I click the A/T button..but when I click the Flch button, it engages the A/T.

2) When I am on approach I have manual control except the A/T, when the speed slows it goes below the IAS Setting (the pink mark), it doesn't throttle up. I almost stalled a couple of times.. The A/T light is on. and when I throttle up it powers up. Basically, its on manual not auto thrust but the A/T light indicates its on auto throttle and the indicator on the PFD says "THR"

3) even when the A/T is on (the light is green on the A/T button), it doesn't reduce the thrust when it exceeds the pink speed limit. it keeps going.

Anyone else seen this?

Its probably user error on my part. I did not see these things in FSX.

Did something change?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

What do you have your setting for throttle override set to? In the PMDG options in the FMC you have the option to have your throttle lever override the A/T: Always, Never, or Only in Hold Mode. Look at the Introduction Manual starting on page 93. If it's set to "Never" then that's not the problem. "Always" can definitely be an issue if your throttle is creating "noise" and overriding the A/T. If it is set to "Only in Hold Mode" that could also be the issue, especially if you see the issue only at times the A/T is in "HOLD" mode.

As for your near stall on approach, that sounds eerily like what happened to OZ214. What A/P / A/T modes were active at the time of your near-stall??

I have been flying the 777 in FSX and I was very comfortable with the Auto Throttle and its behavior.

Now in P3D, the 777 Auto Throttle seems to behave differently

Hi, Manny,

In addition to What Adam said about setup:

The 777 autothrottle is quite complex.  You did specify some issues on final and Adam had good points about your setup.  I can't think of a situation where the A/T should be in THR mode on final, so there may be something wrong there.

For the other situations you need to give much more information: phase of flight, how LNAV and VNAV were set, etc.  But before you seek further advice I suggest that you search "Autothrottle" under "topics only" in the PMDG 777 forum.  You will find many valuable threads there.   You also need to review the setup instructions in the introductory manual and you may want to search "autothrottle" through FCOM (especially  FCOM 2) and FCTM .

Also, PMDG requires you to sign your full name in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks guys... I need to test this properly..  I just loaded and started flying like I do a Cessna..  So I can't give too many details which I know y'all need. Sorry about not mentioning that earlier.

But I used to do that in FSX too and it never surprised me.

I'll try to fly by the book and see if I have this issue.

Thanks

Manny

I have seen this on airbus - check your hardware sensitivity and trim sensitivity especially - it thinks your moving the yoke and you cant do that or AP will not come on - you aren't moving the yoke when engaging AP right ?

Rich Sennett

you aren't moving the yoke when engaging AP right ?

No. I don't believe so..

Manny

No. I don't believe so..

Check your sensitivity settings in P3D menu - more times than not this is the fix - easier said then done as you have to fiddle with it to make your hardware happy - ailerons and elevator - sensitivity and null zone - no one answer as everyones hardware is different but this may save you a bunch of time looking elsewhere

Rich Sennett