Sign in to follow this  

Steve,

Thanks for your explanation.

IN this case , Do I suppose to change from AM=84 to AM=244 to achieve "greater texture throughput " :unsure:

That's the thing about AM, you have to try it out for your setup and addons. Look at the "Task Manager" performance graphs and on the "details page" right click on the app and choose "set affinity" to check out how cores are loading. 244 may not provide any better texture performance than 84.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

"Look at the "Task Manager" performance graphs and on the "details page" right click on the app and choose "set affinity"

I opened Task Manager but I cannot locate "detail page"+"app+ set affinity :(

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

You found Task Manager? Look at the row of tabs on the top, just below the menus: Processes, Performance... Last but one "Details". Look down the list for the app you want to inspect, and right click on it, choose "Set affinity". Shows you what LPs are used by the app. On the Performance page you can see a graph, or graphs of the cpu in use.

Rick,

Thanks.

I will try HT=ON with AF=84, then I will try AF=14.

If you have an 8-core CPU, these values do not apply to you, since they are for a 4-core (quad) CPU..

Bert

OK. I found it. It looks like only three CPU assigned for P3D from listed 16 CPU ??

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/2573/GQy48W.jpg

Choose the "Performance" tab, click on the CPU icon on the left, down the bottom, look for Logical processors, and Cores. Cores are split into LPs when Hyperthreading is on. So with some apps, like FSX, if HT=On, we mask off an LP from each Core so that the core does not get loaded with more than one app thread. The image is of a 6 or 8 core with HT=On, and an AM=84, seems OK, can try AM=1364.

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding what affinity mask is suitable for what processor, I hope the below helps. The general rule is that the first core should be masked off for non FSX duties, some folks then effectively disable hyperthreading by masking off their remaining hyperyhreaded cores, others just disable the next hyperthreaded core in line so the core running the main sim engine can focus solely on that task without having to hyperthread, leaving the remaining cores to hyperthread.

The below shows how the appropriate affinity mask is set I have included typical masks for asanal's 8 core CPU.

P=Physical Core

H=Hyperthreded Core

0=Disabled

1=Enabled

Set the Affinity Mask to the appropriate decimal value. 

AM01.jpg

...The synchronizations with the main thread are also doubled...

Here the increased synchronizations slow down the sim, the main thread on LP03 is not performing so well in the lower half of the image:

TooManyLPs.jpg

With 6 core HT=On I would go for 5 threads, 1364 or 2728. with the 8 core HT=On, 43648 etc. I've got an addon with an AM=3 on LPs 0, and 1.

PieEater,

That is very interesting. According your  chart my 8Core/HT Enabled settings should  be : 65524

Am I right?

Ahmet Sanal

PieEater,

That is very interesting. According your  chart my 8Core/HT Enabled settings should  be : 65524

Am I right?

That would be even worse than the example I just posted.

Steve,

My PC CPU  i7-5960X 8 cores, HT Enabled.

Sorry mv be I am repeating  my self:

What should my settings will  be: 43648 / 65524 / or 84

Thanks

Ahmet Sanal

Steve,

My PC CPU  i7-5960X 8 cores, HT Enabled.

Sorry mv be I am repeating  my self:

What should my settings will  be: 43648 / 65524 / or 84

Thanks

21824 or 43648

Ok I will try both of them and will inform results.

Thanks to All

Ahmet Sanal

Wow. I didn't realize this thread was still alive. Thanks for the great info.

I'll try some of these options over the weekend.

Honestly, the only OC I have ever done was my I7-920 and Nick Needhan walked me through it. I had a very common chip. very common mobo and very common ram. He gave me the settings and the oc was stable for almost 5 years. It really was set and forget at 4GHz. The M7F has so many more options, I'm not sure what do do with them. I can't even remember what I did back in 2009.

I'll start with Ricks advice and see where that get's me.

Thanks!

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Just be aware Duck that some of the specific info Steve is giving Asanal is for a different type of processor than you have.  You have a 4Core/8Thread CPU.

Rick S.