Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

MegaScenery Earth Europe

I remember a thread about MegaScenery Earth England & Wales on this forum last year, and two of the criticisms were the rather poor coastlines and water masks (with default scenery appearing at the edges in places), and also the relatively small amount of hard drive space required when compared to the PlayHorizon scenery (30GB versus around 70GB), leading to the conclusion that it couldn't be 50cm per pixel resolution (or 60cm as Andy Digital would correct me) :smile:

Bearing this in mind, I would be interested to know user opinions of the other MegaScenery Earth Europe products (particularly Belgium and the Netherlands), since I am considering extending my little area of flightsim nirvana (currently the UK and Ireland) to cover those European countries that are just a short hop across the North Sea or English Channel. Obviously I would like to know if these have any water mask problems (I really don't want to see default scenery of any kind on my travels; it might upset my tummy), or any other issues (low texture resolution, poor colour saturation etc).

On a side note, does anyone know if MegaScenery Earth are intending to release Denmark, Norway and Sweden in the near future?

Responses from P3D or FSX users will be gratefully received :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That does look rather good, Glynn. What is the texture resolution of the photoscenery? The water masking looks very nice.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hello Christopher,

From the very good manual:

Surface
The surface is based on aerial photographs originating from 2005, and they have a resolution of 1m/pixel.
For some of the airports we could even use 40 cm/pixel photographs. FSX's specifications allowed us to
deploy this resolution.
VFR flight over The Netherlands has become more realistic than before. We took special care to present the
visible water areas in The Netherlands in a unique way, while retaining it's properties as a water mass, so
you can still land on it.

The Manual is available here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDwQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nl-2000.com%2Ffiles%2FManual_nl2000_v4.01.pdf&ei=fvzgVJvoEOOZ7AantoCgDg&usg=AFQjCNEDz64Jn7yoV56mvaivNu4fx-lRWw&bvm=bv.85970519,d.ZGU

That sounds excellent, Glynn. I will have to take a closer look. Many thanks for the information.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Several weeks ago I switched from the NL2000 photo underground to MSE NL.

All Nl2000 objects and airports are active.

The reason is that other European MSE scenery are to bright compared to NL2000 or NL2000 is to dark compared to MSE scenery.

Now the transition to Germany or Belgium is way less obvious.

I made an SweetFX file and a tweaked HDR file to get the best look with the photoscenery I have from Europe.

Perhaps NL2000 had the best colors but it was an isle in the photoscenery sea....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Is there a difference in texture resolution between the two?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've got Ireland, Portugal, Switzerland and Italy. Run them all in P3D v2.4

So, they're OK. Not even close to home-made scenery with FSET at 0.5/pixel, though. I use them as a cheap way to cover large areas, but the European source imagery is not nearly as good as the hi-res US cities (now that's actually pretty good).

If you get them, add Aerosoft night environment and Open VFR autogen - works nicely with the MSE base imagery.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Hi Chris,

Whatever you decide about Europe, please, please give DSR x 4 a try in Nvidia control panel (no smoothing), honestly it works wonders for photoscenery.

Enjoy!

Phil (Bakewell UK)

Where is DSR located in Nvidia Inspector? I was looking for it after I installed the latest 347.52 drivers. Do I need to update Nvidia Inspector to see it?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris, DSR is dynamic super resolution. Accessed via NVIDIA control panel if you've got one of the newer GPU drivers.

If anyone is wondering how to do this:

Right click your desktop, then select NVIDIA control panel from the menu (if you don't see it listed, you've got an older driver that doesn't have this feature)

In control panel, go to 'mamange 3D settings'

Select the 'global settings' tab

Under 'DSR - Factors' select a resolution e.g. 2x, 4x

What it's doing is upsampling the visuals to a higher resolution, then downsampling them again to your monitor's resolution.

You'll also notice the tab for 'DSR - smoothness' - this defaults to 33%

I'm still experimenting with this whilst using ultra hi-res (25cm per pixel) photoscenery. Not convinced it makes much difference so far - seemed to introduce some minor stutters - but I'm going to keep trying it until I'm sure either way.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."