Sign in to follow this  
Clipper Ocean Spray

AI Controller 1.4 (SID, Jet Route, STAR and Final Approach) (New) Beta

Thanks for the reply Roland. Noted re BIG star, I can edit the airports I'm interested so no probs there. Good news re the other issue I raised re approach selection. I look forward to trying your next release, no rush...

All the best

Andy

melcec, on 09 Mar 2015 - 5:51 PM, said:

I had thought of that and just tried it again with no luck. Just for giggles I also cleaned my system of any possible viruses which could be blocking. This is now driving me batty.

Is there any information in the Windows application logs at approx. the time you attempt to load AIMonitor?

-Roland

For some reason the AIMonitor will now load. But, it now tells me "problem loading the airportlist.dat" and the same thing for the "AIControlerlist.txt". It says they must be in the same directory as AIMonitor.exe. They are in the directory?

For some reason the AIMonitor will now load. But, it now tells me "problem loading the airportlist.dat" and the same thing for the "AIControlerlist.txt". It says they must be in the same directory as AIMonitor.exe. They are in the directory?

I figured that part out and now it works! I have no clue why? Thanks!

A new beta version of AIController v1.14B is available at the following link:

Please do not mix with any version of 1.4A or earlier.  Instead, install into a separate directory for testing.

New for version 1.4B:

NEW:  Manual Landing Runway Selection:  If the user for whatever reason dislikes the current landing runway, which is based on prevailing winds, the user can instead enter a runway designator (e.g, 32R) in AIMonitor to override all wind-based landing runway selections.  All arriving AI above 250 ft AGL will immediately break from their existing patterns (e.g., STARs, finals) and obtain new patterns that correspond to the forced landing runway.  The emphasis is on IMMEDIATELY.  The AI will immediately switch to the new patterns, there will be no gradual transition (i.e.,, AI on old patterns will not continue those patterns and land on the "old" landing runway during a runway change-over transition period.)  A typical usage scenarios are (1) forcing a rapid runway change due to changing winds, (2) forcing a user-preferred runway during calm winds, and (3) generally forcing a perfrerred landing runway for flight-planning purposes when the user aircraft arrives or departs from an airport, or (4) in combination with ADE configure airports for optimum AI flow.  

NEW:  Max. Time Departing AI Remains Stopped on Taxiway Before Deletion.  Maximum time that AI taxiing OUT to the departure runway will be allowed to remained stopped on the taxiway before deletion (default 60 seconds).  Occasionally (even when not using AIController), departing AI becomes "stuck" just before runway entry holding up that AI and all the AI line-up behind it waiting.  This parameter will delete the AI that has become "stuck", allowing the AI behind it enter the runway and take off at a consistent rate.  The parameter cannot be used to increase waiting time higher than the FSX default value.  

NEW: AI Rollout Performance and Parking Based on AI's Aircraft.cfg File and ADE:  The AI rollout performance (e.g., braking distance) and parking preference (e.g., parking codes) are based on performance data in each AI's config file.  The parking algorithm has been revised to conform to typical FSX/P3D - ADE design methods (e.g., first AIController looks to gate radius, second AIControler looks to airline parking codes in the gate order as listed in the ADE parking list).  Version 1.4B automatically reads AI aircraft.cfg data to get each AI's braking, radius, airline code, etc. data, no user action is required.  Thus, the old GrabAIParkingCode utility is being retired.  An interesting note:  AIController will scan more than 5 airline codes per gate, thus eliminating the old FSX restraint.

NEW: Improved Landing Animations.  Consistent touchdown smoke, wheels (including nose-wheel) make firm contact with runway at correct angle, no more smoke effects when AI exits the runway and enters taxiway.

NEW: Special WinXP versions of AIController.exe and AIConv.exe are included in the distribution:  If you're running AIController in a networked configuration on an older laptop running WinXP, please use the AIController_WinXP.exe and AIConv_WinXP.exe files in the WinXP folder (see the readme in that folder for further instructions).

NEW: Latest version of SIDSTARConverter included, which allows you to select your preferred version of AIConv.exe.  The latest AIConv.exe is included in the AIController installation directory.

Fixed for Version 1.4B:

FIXED: Jet, prop, and VFR ONLY STARs/SIDs not recognized.  This has been fixed, but jet, prop and VFR only patterns are now specified by "pattern type" instead of "pattern name" to maintain consistency with final approach pattern types.  Any custom user files that user the "pattern name" to specificy jet-only, prop-only, or VFR-only files will have to be modified so that "pattern type" is used instead (this should be an easy modification, see the readme.pdf for further details).   

FIXED: Duplicate line added to AIControllerPath.txt file.

FIXED: Excessive error messages when attempting scenery scan, such as when program paths incorrect.  AIController will now limit the error messages to five when an unsuccessful scenery scan occurs.

FIXED: Sometime AI didn't park at gate at correct heading.  This has been fixed.

FIXED:  Generic left and right base pattern names reversed.  This has been fixed.

FIXED:  Pattern entry points (enhanced generic left-right patterns) sometimes not the closest to AI's present position.

FIXED:  Some approach files converted from nav data contained missed approach data causing AI to perform missed approach procedure (go-around) when landing.  This has been fixed.

FIXED:  Addon/scenery folder not being scanned when active in FSX/P3D (this is where use-generated ADE files typically reside!).

FIXED:  AI's landing runway displayed more consistently on AIMonitor.

FIXED:  Departing AI not being auto-injected at some airports.

FIXED:  Locale issue continuing to cause errors when comma-deliminated error.  For those users who switched affected by this error, please give this fix a try.

FIXED: Quicker assignment of wind-based runway selection, less incorrect STARs that have to be re-assigned later.

Important Revision:  A registered version (4.9x or later) of Peter Dowson's FSUIPC utility is recommended to use the full functionality of AIController.  For example, AIController will not be able to delete problematic AI targeted for removal (e.g., parked at gate after arrival for the specificed parking time).  For networked configuration users, Peter's WideFS (ver. 6.9) is also recommended.

Various other fixes/revisions were also made.

Important New NOTAMS!

ENTERING FINAL APPROACH COORDINATES.  Do not use FSX when entering final approach coordinates for runway positions (e.g., touchdown, rollout) as the FSX in-game coordinate display (shift-Z) lacks the necessary precision (significant digits).  Use the freeware Airport Design Editor X (or similar) instead.

ENTERING RUNWAY DATA.   Ensure the runway number corresponds to the FSX runway description (for whatever airport scenery you are using).  Often, the latest FMS data will reference changed runway numbers that do not correspond to stock FSX runway descriptions.  For STAR files, if the runways do not match (STAR versus FSX), AIController will choose the STAR based on the waypoint having the closest entry point to the AI’s current position (i.e., not based on runway data), which often is satisfactory, but not always.  For Final Approach files, if the runways do not match, AIController might choose the final approach file having the incorrect runway data.

Please see the Original Thread Post for Additional Details Regarding Ver. 1.4 Including Installation Video.

Thanks!

-Roland

A new beta version of AIController v1.14B (full version including hot fix 1) is available at the following link:

Hot fix 1 by itself is available at the following link:

Please do not mix with any version of 1.4A or earlier.  Instead, install into a separate directory for testing.

New for version 1.4B:

NEW:  Manual Landing Runway Selection:  If the user for whatever reason dislikes the current landing runway, which is based on prevailing winds, the user can instead enter a runway designator (e.g, 32R) in AIMonitor to override all wind-based landing runway selections.  All arriving AI above 250 ft AGL will immediately break from their existing patterns (e.g., STARs, finals) and obtain new patterns that correspond to the forced landing runway.  The emphasis is on IMMEDIATELY.  The AI will immediately switch to the new patterns, there will be no gradual transition (i.e.,, AI on old patterns will not continue those patterns and land on the "old" landing runway during a runway change-over transition period.)  A typical usage scenarios are (1) forcing a rapid runway change due to changing winds, (2) forcing a user-preferred runway during calm winds, and (3) generally forcing a perfrerred landing runway for flight-planning purposes when the user aircraft arrives or departs from an airport, or (4) in combination with ADE configure airports for optimum AI flow.  

NEW:  Max. Time Departing AI Remains Stopped on Taxiway Before Deletion.  Maximum time that AI taxiing OUT to the departure runway will be allowed to remained stopped on the taxiway before deletion (default 60 seconds).  Occasionally (even when not using AIController), departing AI becomes "stuck" just before runway entry holding up that AI and all the AI line-up behind it waiting.  This parameter will delete the AI that has become "stuck", allowing the AI behind it enter the runway and take off at a consistent rate.  The parameter cannot be used to increase waiting time higher than the FSX default value.  

NEW: AI Rollout Performance and Parking Based on AI's Aircraft.cfg File and ADE:  The AI rollout performance (e.g., braking distance) and parking preference (e.g., parking codes) are based on performance data in each AI's config file.  The parking algorithm has been revised to conform to typical FSX/P3D - ADE design methods (e.g., first AIController looks to gate radius, second AIControler looks to airline parking codes in the gate order as listed in the ADE parking list).  Version 1.4B automatically reads AI aircraft.cfg data to get each AI's braking, radius, airline code, etc. data, no user action is required.  Thus, the old GrabAIParkingCode utility is being retired.  An interesting note:  AIController will scan more than 5 airline codes per gate, thus eliminating the old FSX restraint.

NEW: Improved Landing Animations.  Consistent touchdown smoke, wheels (including nose-wheel) make firm contact with runway at correct angle, no more smoke effects when AI exits the runway and enters taxiway.

NEW: Special WinXP versions of AIController.exe and AIConv.exe are included in the distribution:  If you're running AIController in a networked configuration on an older laptop running WinXP, please use the AIController_WinXP.exe and AIConv_WinXP.exe files in the WinXP folder (see the readme in that folder for further instructions).

NEW: Latest version of SIDSTARConverter included, which allows you to select your preferred version of AIConv.exe.  The latest AIConv.exe is included in the AIController installation directory.

Fixed for Version 1.4B:

FIXED: Jet, prop, and VFR ONLY STARs/SIDs not recognized.  This has been fixed, but jet, prop and VFR only patterns are now specified by "pattern type" instead of "pattern name" to maintain consistency with final approach pattern types.  Any custom user files that user the "pattern name" to specificy jet-only, prop-only, or VFR-only files will have to be modified so that "pattern type" is used instead (this should be an easy modification, see the readme.pdf for further details).   

FIXED: Duplicate line added to AIControllerPath.txt file.

FIXED: Excessive error messages when attempting scenery scan, such as when program paths incorrect.  AIController will now limit the error messages to five when an unsuccessful scenery scan occurs.

FIXED: Sometime AI didn't park at gate at correct heading.  This has been fixed.

FIXED:  Generic left and right base pattern names reversed.  This has been fixed.

FIXED:  Pattern entry points (enhanced generic left-right patterns) sometimes not the closest to AI's present position.

FIXED:  Some approach files converted from nav data contained missed approach data causing AI to perform missed approach procedure (go-around) when landing.  This has been fixed.

FIXED:  Addon/scenery folder not being scanned when active in FSX/P3D (this is where use-generated ADE files typically reside!).

FIXED:  AI's landing runway displayed more consistently on AIMonitor.

FIXED:  Departing AI not being auto-injected at some airports.

FIXED:  Locale issue continuing to cause errors when comma-deliminated error.  For those users who switched affected by this error, please give this fix a try.

FIXED: Quicker assignment of wind-based runway selection, less incorrect STARs that have to be re-assigned later.

HOT FIX 1:  Repetitive repetitive "VARIABLE WINDS or TIMEOUT waiting for wind direction data" message in AIController.  Fixed repetitive "Scenery Change Detected" when AIMonitor started for first time. 

Important Revision:  A registered version (4.9x or later) of Peter Dowson's FSUIPC utility is recommended to use the full functionality of AIController.  For example, AIController will not be able to delete problematic AI targeted for removal (e.g., parked at gate after arrival for the specificed parking time).  For networked configuration users, Peter's WideFS (ver. 6.9) is also recommended.

Various other fixes/revisions were also made.

Important New NOTAMS!

ENTERING FINAL APPROACH COORDINATES.  Do not use FSX when entering final approach coordinates for runway positions (e.g., touchdown, rollout) as the FSX in-game coordinate display (shift-Z) lacks the necessary precision (significant digits).  Use the freeware Airport Design Editor X (or similar) instead.

ENTERING RUNWAY DATA.   Ensure the runway number corresponds to the FSX runway description (for whatever airport scenery you are using).  Often, the latest FMS data will reference changed runway numbers that do not correspond to stock FSX runway descriptions.  For STAR files, if the runways do not match (STAR versus FSX), AIController will choose the STAR based on the waypoint having the closest entry point to the AI’s current position (i.e., not based on runway data), which often is satisfactory, but not always.  For Final Approach files, if the runways do not match, AIController might choose the final approach file having the incorrect runway data.

Please see the Original Thread Post for Additional Details Regarding Ver. 1.4 Including Installation Video.

Thanks!

-Roland

Roland, thanks so much for the update.  Really appreciate you allowing us to have our custom AFCAD parking back, in addition to the FDE's for the AI aircraft taking control of the rollout.  A nice bonus breaking the 5 parking code restriction.  Can't wait to see if you can do the 50/50 breakup of the AI aircraft on parallel runways.  Amazing work. 

Can't wait to see if you can do the 50/50 breakup of the AI aircraft on parallel runways. 

That should work in the new version above (1.4B).  Instead of entering 32L, enter:  32L,32R    The landing load-balancing will be approx. 50-50.  

You can also specify cross-wind landings, for example at KORD, enter: 27R,32R

I ran an interesting experiment at EGLL.  Using ADE, I limited takeoffs to runways 9R-27L.  Then using AIController, I forced landings on 9L.  I set the AI traffic percent to "insane" (FSX AI traffic = 100% + UT2 traffic = 100%).  The AI flow-rates into and out of the airport were the fastest I've ever seen in FSX lol.  Any airport with at least one landing runway and one departing runway will benefit.  I probably could have forced landings on 5,9L to make the rate faster though.   

-Roland

Hi I have problem with AIController v1.14B, when I start AIController.exe I have 0xc000007b error

Hi, do you have the 32-bit VC++ lib installed: Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package x86 (vcredist_x86.exe)?  Make sure to download directly from a Microsoft website.

-Roland

I figured that part out and now it works! I have no clue why? Thanks!

Great to read, please let me know if it happens again, especially if it a similar sequence of events.

-Roland 

Since in FSX and P3D the default AI engine runs on one core where all other jobs are handled (pls. correct me if I am wrong), can I conclude that this networked solution would improve the whole performance?

It is subjective, but I think it helps if you can offload a bunch of apps to a networked client (as opposed to running all the same apps on the FSX/P3D machine).   The interesting thing with AIController on a networked client is that you can really load it down with a bunch of monitored airports.  Memory consumption and disk I/O will increase, but it doesn't matter because the app in on a separate PC.  OTOH, what does matter to the FSX/P3D PC -- IPC load (communicating with the client PC) -- won't be affected because the FSX/P3D reality-bubble around the user limits on the number of AI being controlled via the IPC channel.   

-Roland

Thank you Roland.  Not to push the issue, but is it possible to have force the AI to land on three parallel runways simultaneously at really busy airports , like at KDFW or KATL?  Inquiring minds over on our AI boards are interested if that is something that can be done within the limits of FSX/P3D.   Appreciate your efforts.   

Hi Roland,

Could I kinda ask if I use UT2 does your programme run along side this? I ask this as the UT2 programe has several parameters e.g. Spawn aircraft, and adjusting the amount of planes to maintain the FPS.

Can I also kindly ask in your latest update aircraft now get removed after a minute to un block the taxi way. How is this handled at say single operation runways when on occasions it takes two to three minutes for the inbound plane to complete it,s final land and taxi off the runway.

It only a minute is allowed all queuing aircraft would keep disappearing.

Finally thank you for the incredible hard work and effort in making such a progamme for the community it most generous of you.

All the best Mark

Hi Roland,

As always, this looks promising!

Do you think it would be possible to add a feature to specify preferred routings for taxing after landing (and later on for take off), as in real life. It could be specified for example in the airport converted file, in a section after the SID or STAR, or in a new text file reserved for taxi routing (I guess the AFX file for he airport would have to be correct regarding taxi names. That would be great for some big airports with one way taxiways and so on.

Likewise, it would be great if besids the jet routes file, we could have a file where we can specify which route will be used between two airport (again here there are some one way airways, preferred routes between some airport and so on), as preferred route J M W is not enough in some countries.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks

LOL, I'm enroute to EDDB, just had a Jetset 757 pass me at 71,000. When I checked AIC it said he was on a go-around.....At Gatwick!. I think when ATC said "go around" he thought they meant around the World, he past me over Belgium going East at 500knts....;-)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Hi Roland,

thanks again for the.new 1.4B-version !

I just took a first look at EDDL. The approaches seem to work well, now; no more circle around the area, no missapproaches and correct landings so far.

But I found another issue : After landing, at the end of the runway, the AI-aircrafts disappear, Any idea how to solve that ?

Thanks

Dietmar

I think when ATC said "go around" he thought they meant around the World, he past me over Belgium going East at 500knts....;-)

I've seen that happen before, but not recently (thought it was fixed).  I'll keep an eye out for it.  Thanks.  Was it just this one AI or a more systemic problem?  Also, did you have the FSUIPC link enabled?

-Roland

After landing, at the end of the runway, the AI-aircrafts disappear, Any idea how to solve that ?

I know at EDDL with high AI traffic levels, the lack of parking gates is a problem.  If all suitable parking spaces are occupied, AIController will delete the AI at the end of rollout (just as FSX does too).  The console window will let you know if this happens (or if the AI is deleted for another reason).

-Roland

Do you think it would be possible to add a feature to specify preferred routings for taxing after landing (and later on for take off), as in real life. It could be specified for example in the airport converted file, in a section after the SID or STAR, or in a new text file reserved for taxi routing (I guess the AFX file for he airport would have to be correct regarding taxi names. That would be great for some big airports with one way taxiways and so on.

I recommend using ADE for taxi-route tweaks.  For example, if you limit the runway vacate points (by disabling taxi links, which AIController honors), you can get good results funneling the AI into preferred taxi-in routes.  Also, there could be a critical taxi-link somewhere that works well to segregate taxi-in from taxi-out.  I do have have a weighting factor you can change in taxi_graph.txt.   Each X... path link statement as a number (default = 1) at the end which is a weighting factor (higher - less likely to be used).  Use ADE to match up the nodes in taxi_graph.txt file to a visual image of the airfield.  The problem is the taxi_graph.txt file tends to get overwritten, so if you make changes there, be sure to back them up in a separately named file.      

Likewise, it would be great if besids the jet routes file, we could have a file where we can specify which route will be used between two airport (again here there are some one way airways, preferred routes between some airport and so on), as preferred route J M W is not enough in some countries.

Good suggestion (several people have asked for  this feature).  I'm looking into it.

Hi Roland, no, just this odd one. I have never seen it happen before. Thank you.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I know at EDDL with high AI traffic levels, the lack of parking gates is a problem. If all suitable parking spaces are occupied, AIController will delete the AI at the end of rollout (just as FSX does too). The console window will let you know if this happens (or if the AI is deleted for another reason).

Thanks for the hint; indeed, I just found at the console window : "There may be no avaiable gates. The AI-aircraft will now be deleted."

Strange - I've just counted and found, there are more then 20 free gates avaiable. I always use the same starting situation for monitoring, and it didn't happen before. I think there must be some other cause.