Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Stutters + FPS Limiter - anyone using it still?

FSX and my rig just don't get along...  I tend to get uber stutters especially with payware addons.  It could be my lower OC of 4GHz (can't go any further anymore, OC seems to die once in a while).

I've tried the usual fps locked to 30 (in places where I'd get 2-4x more than that if unlimited)

I've tried unlimited in game but vsync set to 1/2 refresh rate in nvidia inspector

Back in the day I think I used the FPS limiter with some success.  But I'm wondering if somehow that's outdated now?  If not what file should I get and where?

When I say stutters there's two types I'm seeing btw:

1) Track IR is paused...  view is fixed, in a bank or something and FSX microstutters or appears to "jump" ahead every 1/4 sec or so.

2) Track IR is not paused and while panning the view jumps/stutters horribly...  almost makes me sick.  Tends to occur with glass cockpit payware, F1 king air, PMDG 737, etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've tried the usual fps locked to 30 (in places where I'd get 2-4x more than that if unlimited)

I've tried unlimited in game but vsync set to 1/2 refresh rate in nvidia inspector

Hey Ryan! :)

Neither of those methods will work successfully. Locked 30fps where you get say "only" 40fps is no good since you lose more than that to the look ahead buffer when internal fixed fps is on. The Look ahead buffer is your friend, coupled with a partial vsync. In full screen FSX I use 15fps @ 1/4 vsync, or 20fps @ 1/3 vsync with better performing aircraft. But I can't do 30fps with a 3960x at 4GHz, and a GTX 680.

Unlimited is a test mode of D3D and does not allow time for the look ahead buffer. An external limiter might ignore the proper workings of the GPU with respect to look ahead buffer. To see how bad Unlimited is for smoothness; sit on the runway and with the external view hold down a pan button - the rendering speeds up and slows down depending on the complexity of the view. But switch to 15fps and pan and it's smooth, unless the frame rate drops below the fixed rate - that's where the big stutters start.

A micro-stutter is caused by the frame rate differing from the monitor refresh rate. I recommend the internal fixed frame rate limiter and partial vsync, here I've compared 20fps vsync methods on a 60Hz monitor (with an NVidia card):

vsynccompared.jpg

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Interesting. I'm not found of flying at 20 fps though - especially when using track IR. It's fine with payware scenery and airports where I'd likely only get 20 anyway.

Usually when I see the worst stutters is with a payware glass cockpit but default rural areas ( where unlimited fps would be high say 60-70 fps but with a variance of 30-40%)

Is there a lock at 30 with vsync 1/2 ?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes, if your monitor is 60Hz then you can do 30 @ 1/2 vsync and it's better.

Just to confirm - 30 locked in FSX plus 1/2 vsync in NI?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I must be very lucky then, because my system is almost stone aged compared with Ryan's. But I don't use trackIR or camera addons. I find the space bar+mouse perfectly adequate for looking around/zooming in and out. I don't push scenery too far or have more than around 35% Traffic but I get a steady 34 fps with the internal limiter to 35fps in the PMDG 737 while climbing/cruising and easily 27 fps on airports with traffic.

I agree with Steve: Unllimited is only useful for checking fps potential once in a while but it produces horrble stuttering. The internal limiter works fine for me.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Yes achieving high fps is easy, on FSX, my 3960x at 4GHz + GTX 680, gives me 60-80 fps (Unlimited) on the ground at stock Cardiff with stock B58 and no addons (bar IF10), maxed autogen and LOD 4.5.

You got it!

What does FSX do if I'm setting 30 locked + 1/2 vsync and FSX does not obtain 30... let's say I'm only getting 22.  Does that increase stutters or does it prioritize loading differently to accommodate the lack of fps?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

That's a good question Ryan, it falls back gracefully to the no pre-rendering time. Since it's prepared for pre-rendering it performs better overall. If you watch unlimited in operation, it's quite spikey, those positive spikes can be better utilised as pre-rendering and save on negative spikes.

In the graphs I showed above it's exactly that. I used 20fps as it shows more easily a good example of that kind of drop out, whereby the fps goes below the fixed - the lower graph is visibly smoother overall.

Well thanks...  on the aircraft that was giving me the most stutters (with track IR because using TIR really exaggerates the stutters), the 30fps + 1/2 refresh rate helps the most.

I must be very lucky then, because my system is almost stone aged compared with Ryan's. But I don't use trackIR or camera addons. I find the space bar+mouse perfectly adequate for looking around/zooming in and out. I don't push scenery too far or have more than around 35% Traffic but I get a steady 34 fps with the internal limiter to 35fps in the PMDG 737 while climbing/cruising and easily 27 fps on airports with traffic.

I agree with Steve: Unllimited is only useful for checking fps potential once in a while but it produces horrble stuttering. The internal limiter works fine for me.

I don't even run AI traffic...  en route I can get a fine number with PMDG stuff but on the ground with payware everything those numbers will be cut in half.  I guess I like my eye candy.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Well thanks...  on the aircraft that was giving me the most stutters (with track IR because using TIR really exaggerates the stutters), the 30fps + 1/2 refresh rate helps the most.

Welcome; that's the best one to go for generally with FSX.

...Just wanted to recap to be clear about setting partial vsync in NI. Choosing values of 1/4, 1/2, 1/3, the card attempts to lock the fps to the result rate, i.e. 60Hz monitor refresh x 1/4 = 15fps. So if we want to use Unlimited fps setting, we do not choose those partial settings. We can instead set vsync to force off or force on (does not apply to windowed modes, as is for full screen game mode). So, say if we want to set a value for fixed fps that is not a division of the monitor refresh rate? Say 40fps; we set 40 fixed in FSX, *and* we set 40 with NI, and set vsync on or off (on = micro-stutter, off = tearing). The smoothest graph shows 20fps internal FSX fed to the card, and the card effectively set to limit to 20fps, 1/3 vsync x 60Hz refresh = 20fps.

Oh that was my other question... do those partial vsync values work in windowed mode?  That's what I always use.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Oh that was my other question... do those partial vsync values work in windowed mode?  That's what I always use.

Applies to full screen game mode Ryan. You can experiment by temporarily setting 1/3 vsync and switch between window and full screen modes (ALT-ENTER). With Unlimited setting in FSX, you should see the fps race away in windowed mode and try to stick to 20 in full screen mode.