Sign in to follow this  
cb123

Freezes midway Win7 64 bit

Hi. Im new to the AVSIM forums and am here seeking help with a problem I've been having. I just got a new, rather nice system that runs Windows 7 64 bit on an AMD FX 4130 Quad Core @3.80 GHz, 8 GB of RAM, with a Geforce GT720 with FSX SP2. The issue I've been seeing has been happening with about half my flights. I'll get about halfway through or nearing the end, and out of nowhere FSX just stops. It seems to happen at random and is majorly frustrating. I have to tab out and close the process to close FSX. I don't know if there is an easy fix to this, but I have tried the UIAutomationcore dll and running in compatability mode to no avail. It also runs as an admin. I run RealFsWx lite alongside. Any help is much appreciated.  

It appears you are one of the many flight simmers who gets a powerful computer system and decides it is powerful enough to crank up all of the sliders in the scenery section of the FSX config. Of course, you could also have tweaks employed (maybe Bojote's) which are doing more harm than good. What you describe is what everyone else in this forum is discussing - running out of memory (virtual address space (VAS)). If you have high settings in your fsx.cfg and display driver settings, fsx will run out of VAS about halfway through a flight or on approach at destination. It is impossible to eliminate this problem except to reduce your fsx settings. High autogen settings, coupled with other high settings, eat up VAS very fast on any computer system. FSX is an old program and has not been compiled to operate efficently with modern computer systems (works well with older computers as you MUST reduce your settings).

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides information on how to configure FSX so as to monitor the usage of VAS (see page 3). It also has additional information about running out of memory/VAS. The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides information on how to configure FSX properly with basic configuration settings. These settings provide clear and crisp graphics while keeping the sliders low and work for most members. Anytime you increase your sliders from what was shown when you first started up FSX is dangerous.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks very much for the reply, I will try monitoring VAS with my settings lowered and see how that goes. Once again, very much appreciate the reply.