Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

P3D v2.5...Does anyone use DSR?

Hi all,

I have finished re-installing my addons on the new Prepar3D v2.5 (except ASN and ORBX) and I am in the process of finding again the 'sweet spot' of performance and anti-aliasing. Its a pity that in this wonderful simulator we don't have a perfect in-game anti-aliasing and we need to find external settings to modify it.

I use the following tweaks in my  p3d.cfg :

UseGlobalTerrainView=True

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

Altering the graphics settings inside P3D does not seem to have a significant impact on performance.

Frame limiter: Unlimited frames (better FPS and using TrackIR)

Vsync: ON
Triple Buffering: ON

AI Traffic: OFF

For anti-aliasing I am mainly between two settings mode:

1) Nvidia Inspector = default setting
    Nvidia Control Panel = DSR:4x       

P3D settings: 4x anti-aliasing and no FXAA

2) Nvidia Control Panel = default 

Nvidia Inspector = file from this source: http://simtweak.com/ (uses 4x anti-aliasing and 4x transparency anti-aliasing)

P3D settings: 4x anti-aliasing and no FXAA

The best image quality is definitely using the 1st option (DSR), however I am not sure if it is placebo effect or not that the 2nd option is giving better performance. That's why I would be glad for your recommendation. 

I have also visited Rob Ainscough's website but haven't find a ''best'' setting for the latest v2.4 or v2.5.

http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html

So, my question is maybe the following..do you still use DSR ? 

Maybe we can run a poll with the following to choose from :

1) DSR 

2) Vanilla Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel

3) AA using Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel

*My hardware settings are on my signature

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

With P3D 2.5 I am using 4x DSR with no AA in P3D. In version 2.4 this would have caused a lot of shimmering however with 2.5 the shimmering is virtually gone and the quality is excellent! It also gives me great performance since there is no need for AA. I am not using Inspector or the Control Panel. Everything is default except for FSDT and Flightbeam airports. Also flying the Eaglesoft Citation X with Opus Weather.

Hi thetford569,

did you just happen to install the most recent Nvidia driver in parallel? I am still under 2.4 and updated to the most recent driver and it's my impression shimmering is much improved in 2.4 already. Thus I would like to isolate the effects from P3D2.5, from the latest Driver, or, perhaps, just from a clean installation.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

What is DSR?

www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr

Dynamic Super Resolution renders a game at a higher, more detailed resolution and intelligently shrinks the result back down to the resolution of your monitor, ...

‎Supported GPUs - ‎What's New - ‎Technology - ‎Games

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Thank you, found it in Global Settings, where I seldom venture.  In my case it doesn't appear neither in game specific settings nor NI.  I have to give it a try.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you for your replies...

thetford, I tried your setting and it seems promising. However then I tried with heavy cloud conditions and there was stutters.

The best solution for this situation seems to be default Nvidia settings  and using 4x anti-aliasing inside P3D (even using FXAA).

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |

I am not using the latest drivers....can't remember which ones I am using off hand. I have not had issues with stutters but I am using Opus Weather right now until Active Sky Next is working with 2.5.

Brandon

With P3D 2.5 I am using 4x DSR with no AA in P3D. In version 2.4 this would have caused a lot of shimmering however with 2.5 the shimmering is virtually gone and the quality is excellent! It also gives me great performance since there is no need for AA. I am not using Inspector or the Control Panel. Everything is default except for FSDT and Flightbeam airports. Also flying the Eaglesoft Citation X with Opus Weather.

Hello,

it would be really interesting to know which driver you are using.

With DSR 4x, but without AA filters, the shimmering and flickering are tremendous, in 2.5 like in 2.4.

Same here..Opus until ASN arrives (in 1-2 days hopefully as announced) .

Brandon, I used the latest Nvidia drivers, and DSR 4x without P3D anti-aliasing is giving excellent results (no shimmering, except a slight shimmering on the horizon). I used the ''gray & rainy'' weather theme using only DSR 4x and was not smooth. Instead when used 4x P3D anti-aliasing without DSR it was very smooth (but not as good in anti-aliasing terms).

I tried DSR but turned it off after an app error with Visual C++ module... maybe coincidence but DSR was only variable that changed.  Meanwhile, I'll just sit on the sidelines of this one.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok I just had a chance to check my settings while I am flying this morning. I am using the 344.75 driver version on my GTX970. I thought I was using no AA but in fact I am using 2X AA inside P3D. I am not using Nvidia Inspector and inside the NVidia Control Panel I am only using the single display mode and texture quality high options. There is some slight shimmering with very distant objects but this is my best balance between too much shimmering and bad performance. If I use 4x AA the frame rate starts to tank.

I just departed FSDT KDFW in the Eaglesoft Citation X with 70% AI Traffic from UT2 using Opus Weather and REX and the sun was smooth with frames never below 20-25. I know this will go downhill some more as I add Orbx stuff back in as well as Active Sky Next but right now this is great and better than 2.4 was.

I really am only having problems with OOMs in Prepar3D and otherwise I am getting great performance and image quality. I have not gotten an OOM with 2.5 yet but I also don't have Global, Vector, or UTUSA ver 2 installed yet. I fully expect to have to dial some of my settings back down when I get those installed. Right now I'm ending with about 500-600 MB of VAS flying between detailed airports but again I'm only using the default terrain. We will see how it goes....LOD is a big factor and I have it at Ultra now. Hopefully I can go down only 2 notches and be ok and not be back in OOM land like I was with 2.4

Brandon

On the default airport and default weather, with complex aircraft, I get nearly 60fps when I use only P3D anti-aliasing. However, same settings on the new Fly Tampa's Toronto airport I get 20-25 fps.

The fact is that I can't stand the shimmering of the P3D's anti-aliasing and the blurriness of the P3D's FXAA.

Still the best image quality is using DSR 4x... 

The fact is that I can't stand the shimmering of the P3D's anti-aliasing and the blurriness of the P3D's FXAA.

Did you try the most recent Nvidia driver? 

I am still using P3D2.4 but upgraded to the most recent driver 347.72 recently. I had terrible shimmering before only to be cured using 4xSGSS via NI. This seems to have gone now. There are still aliasing issues with some houses' facades and a few taxi lines, but no more disturbing shimmering. This was a clean driver installation with no new NI profile activated.

I know this would be too good to be true, thus I would learn if others can confirm or deny this observation (after all I could have made some configuration change I overlooked).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I am using the latest nvidia driver on a clean installation. I maybe agree with you that it seems better from the previous versions (I don't know if it's the P3D update or the Nvidia that contributes here) but maybe it is the comparison that drives me..For example using P3D's anti-aliasing I see shimmering on the aircraft's exterior painting lines...while using DSR it is picture perfect clear.

Kind regards,

Ifikratis

EDIT: Ok, I now got very good image quality results using all P3D anti-aliasing settings (4x, 16x and FXAA on). Again DSR wins, but now its much closer.