Sign in to follow this  
Jsol

P3D 2.5 with ASN?

It's great that SP2 is coming out. I'm sure it will be great. But we are not dealing with diminished performance or functionality.

The program is broken. It doesn't work. There is no way to work around it.

Would have been nice to get a temporary fix. Maybe not possible, given how closely ASN works with P3D. OK

But I must say that Hifi's response to this has been very uncharacteristic. They run one of the best support operations going. On the other hand, I'm not Hifi having to listen to me whine about it.

Damian and Kostas have not stuck their heads in the sand.  They have been updating folks on their official forum if one would take the time to go over there and look.  AVSIM is not where they release official information. 

Kostas has explained that the whole AS_Connect.dll module had to be re-written from the ground up.  It wasn't just a simple fix.  Because of the re-write, it has to be tested before it can be released, or they open a whole new can of complaints.

Either way in today's "instant gratification age", you can't win...  :wacko:

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Damian and Kostas have not stuck their heads in the sand.  They have been updating folks on their official forum if one would take the time to go over there and look.  AVSIM is not where they release official information. 

Kostas has explained that the whole AS_Connect.dll module had to be re-written from the ground up.  It wasn't just a simple fix.  Because of the re-write, it has to be tested before it can be released, or they open a whole new can of complaints.

Either way in today's "instant gratification age", you can't win...  :wacko:

Fair play to you. Thanks, eh?

Fair play to you. Thanks, eh?

How do you mean?  I'm only saying it like it is:

On one hand, those who want it now don't have it and it's not good enough.

On the other, if they got it now, it wouldn't be good enough because it isn't ready yet.

It wasn't directed at you...it's just a trend in today's day and age of the internet and very prevalent (look around this forum re PMDG, etc).  It's unfortunate, but, there it is.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

The guys at HiFi are top notch. They're one of the few developers that have effectively mastered their space... and are amazingly quick with releases, fixes and support (I can attest to the latter, too). Maybe they should have just released the 2.5 compatible build immediately and released the performance upgrades and whatnot later on but hey, can't please everyone all the time can you?

It's not exactly like ORBX was quick to the draw this go-around either: 2.5 bore some real growing pains but, in the end, everyone will be better off because of it.

HiFi are doing fantastic job of communicating and releasing updates.

How do you mean?  I'm only saying it like it is:

On one hand, those who want it now don't have it and it's not good enough.

On the other, if they got it now, it wouldn't be good enough because it isn't ready yet.

It wasn't directed at you...it's just a trend in today's day and age of the internet and very prevalent (look around this forum re PMDG, etc).  It's unfortunate, but, there it is.

Sorry, it didn't come across as intended. Fair play to you was 'you're right'. Thanks, eh? was just one Canuk to another.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Sorry, it didn't come across as intended. Fair play to you was 'you're right'. Thanks, eh? was just one Canuk to another.

No problem brother!  I thought I did bad against you, not intending to!!

Goes to show you that even us Canuks have a "different language" over that 3500km distance!! 

Probably because we're influenced here in Ontario by our friends down south (and I don't mean Toronto...they're the centre of the universe right??) and to our east (a la poutine) much more than you Northern folk!!  lol!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

No problem brother!  I thought I did bad against you, not intending to!!

Goes to show you that even us Canuks have a "different language" over that 3500km distance!! 

Probably because we're influenced here in Ontario by our friends down south (and I don't mean Toronto...they're the centre of the universe right??) and to our east (a la poutine) much more than you Northern folk!!  lol!

I'm from St. Catharines.

If you're bored, you can re-acquaint yourself with those people you live with!!  :lol:

BWAHAHAHAHA...Brilliant !!! That really made me laugh :)

"We are in process of finalizing a new build and beginning internal testing. If this checks out OK we plan to release the open beta SP2 update on Wednesday or Thursday. This is planned for both FSX/FSX:SE and P3D(v2.5). Thanks again for your patience. Our next update should include the SP2 Open Beta availability announcement."

almost there...:)

But I must say that Hifi's response to this has been very uncharacteristic

I beg to differ with you on this. It's not fair to compare ASN to say for example OpusFXI. The former uses a non standard way of injecting weather into the sims and the latter uses the standard approach, SimConnect. Many of the "bells and whistles" that one gets with ASN are due to the way that it injects weather. Unfortunately, every time LM makes major changes to P3d, HiFi has to go back into its ASN codebase and make changes that match up to what LM did. The changes are probably not that hard to figure out, but the beta testing takes time. Look how long it has taken ORBX to release installers for 2.5. One could say that their response is uncharacteristic also. 

Basically, in my opinion, LM should have waited until a major version change to make the changes that they did. But I also understand why they made those changes to the file and folder structure.

Basically, in my opinion, LM should have waited until a major version change to make the changes that they did. But I also understand why they made those changes to the file and folder structure.

Agreed. There are a lot of developers with a bit less hair because of this. The good news is, once LM gets the stable base they are looking for, further updates will be a lot easier.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Basically, in my opinion, LM should have waited until a major version change to make the changes that they did.

It seems as though vendors like HiFi and Orbx aren't participating in the P3D beta program. It appears they both needed to wait for the final release of v2.5 in order to start their work on their updates. If they were beta participants, perhaps the heavy lifting of their updates might get done during that testing phase with only minor tweaking required when the final code is released. That said, I don't actually know if either of those vendors are or are not P3D beta participants (*or if they even want to) - it just feels like they aren't given the timelines involved.

Oh well - we wait patiently!

-Greg

It seems as though vendors like HiFi and Orbx aren't participating in the P3D beta program. It appears they both needed to wait for the final release of v2.5 in order to start their work on their updates.

Some developers have access to the betas, but their beta testers do not.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png