Sign in to follow this  
Guest contrail

Live ATC online/radio scanner

Guest contrail

For others here who use scanners and such to listen to the aircraft band(118-136)trying to emulate real-time airline schedules. I often wonder, with many having high-speed access now, if it might not be possible to create an online network of scanner users(connected to their PC's)with a central website that would allow one to listen to actual ATC freq's. enroute? While it would be virtually impossible to get complete departure to arrival coverage(depending on flight distance)I think with enough participants it might lend to an interesting set-up for those always striving for "as real as it gets".Not being very computer savvy myself, i'm not sure what type of hardwaresoftware setup would lend itself to this type of endeavor.Anyway, just a thought. Just that many times i'll tune into one of many online Live ATC sites(or just listen to my scanner)and along with Arnt's real-world flightplans and Thomas's AITM timetable find it a kick in the pants to sit at say JFK or Boston and see(and listen)to the "flightsim world" imitate the "real world". The added feature of being able to listen to the ENROUTE communications would make this even more enjoyable(even if the only communication is from the aircraft due to being out of range of the corresponding ATC facility).