Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Wobble at Altitude?

I've been doing relatively short and low level (under 30,000 feet) hops around Texas without issue. Today I decided to stretch out the 550 with a high altitude (39000 feet) long distance flight (~1200nm) and noticed that once I was at altitude, a slight wobble became pretty significant the longer I let the AP try to correct it. My only recourse was to disable the AP, stabilize the wobble, then re-activate the AP. Have any of you guys witnessed this before? I had the yaw damper and 1/2 bank enabled (and tried to disable both without any difference in the wobble), so I'm not sure what could have caused it.

Thoughts?

Typically, if you have that kind of wobble, you're either too slow, too heavy, or both.  If you're above 75% payload, don't go much above FL330 until you burn off some of your fuel and make sure you're keeping your speed up.

BTW, I've talked to a couple of real world Citation pilots and they say that the real thing is fairly sensitive to weight and the real AP does tend to hunt quite a bit when heavy.

Chris Trott

Interesting. I wonder if that's how Carenado modeled their 550 or if it was just a glitch (kind of like the CS757 does with some of the later versions of FSUIPC). I'll keep an eye on it and report back any updates from additional flights.

Think it is an issue with their FMS.  Altitude hold without the FMS works fine.  As soon as you kick on the FMS Nav, the plane starts to Oscillate.  

Yeah.. I learned that lesson with the B1900D and never turn on the FMS if I'm using GPS for navigation. I haven't seen the wobble since I first reported it, but I did have a weird dual engine failure on approach to KAUS recently (I had plenty of fuel and static controls, so I'm not sure what happened there), so it looks like I still have gremlins in the system.