Sign in to follow this  
captainsazzman

Help with Gaming Laptop in UK please!

Sorry,but I don't think laptops are a good choice for FSX/P3D X-Plane use.

Laptops are not very flexible, (only RAM can be upgraded).

With a desktop, over time, a complete new machine can be built by replacing or upgrading components.There will always be a better graphics card,faster RAM and better processors that can be retro-fitted (even it it means a new motherboard).

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

With a desktop, over time, a complete new machine can be built by replacing or upgrading components.There will always be a better graphics card,faster RAM and better processors that can be retro-fitted (even it it means a new motherboard).

While I can't argue with upgrade-ability, there is nothing wrong with using a laptop for FSX/P3D. Many people use them, myself included and Kyle does as well!

Get more ram, the more the better. Currently P3D doesnt use it but if X-Plane is a standard on memory usage with 64bit you need 16gb now with the new UHD Mesh and with the increased visibility comming, it will double easily.  So 32gb is not as much as it used to be.

Cheers,

Chris Roberts

Get more ram, the more the better. Currently P3D doesnt use it but if X-Plane is a standard on memory usage with 64bit you need 16gb now with the new UHD Mesh and with the increased visibility comming, it will double easily.  So 32gb is not as much as it used to be.

Cheers,

Chris Roberts

VAS =/= RAM 

VAS =/= RAM 

which is correct , but that doesnt make anything i said less true.  The moment you open the bottleneck, you will see meshes and other scenery increase profoundly. All i said, was that if someone thinks about the future, its not a bad idea to look at a flightsim that already is 64bit: X-Plane. And there you can see in the last years a constant increase in RAM use, First HD-Mesh, then V2, then V3 and now UHD mesh.  Of course noone knows the future but if you contemplate about buying a 2k laptop that lasts a while its not a bad idea to go max. I got 8gb on my pc 5 years ago when everybody said 4gb is overkill. now its bare standard.

Cheers,

Chris Roberts

What do you mean by external gpu dock?

a connector that allows you to plug GPUs in to add to the laptop, basically turning your setup into SLI. Dont need it now tho

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

which is correct , but that doesnt make anything i said less true.  The moment you open the bottleneck, you will see meshes and other scenery increase profoundly. All i said, was that if someone thinks about the future, its not a bad idea to look at a flightsim that already is 64bit: X-Plane. And there you can see in the last years a constant increase in RAM use, First HD-Mesh, then V2, then V3 and now UHD mesh.  Of course noone knows the future but if you contemplate about buying a 2k laptop that lasts a while its not a bad idea to go max. I got 8gb on my pc 5 years ago when everybody said 4gb is overkill. now its bare standard.

Cheers,

Chris Roberts

8GB is still more than enough for today, and 16GB even more so. Even with 64 bit programs. Try running photoshop, lightroom, every office app and any other 64bit application on your laptop and see what your ram use is. I can bet you it'll be well below 16GB and probably below 8GB.

Either way, the amount of RAM being used isn't the issue with FSX/P3D at the moment, it's the size of address space that they can use. Going 64bit will increase the VAS, but it won't blow ram use out past 16GB. 32GB is overkill, even on a laptop planned to last 4-5 years. My laptop is 4 years old. Only has 4GB ram, yet I can run FSX with no OOMs and plenty of addons (777, ORBX, addon scenery etc), I can run photoshop and lightroom simultaneously with no crashes or getting anywhere near 4GB used.

a connector that allows you to plug GPUs in to add to the laptop, basically turning your setup into SLI. Dont need it now tho

Interesting never heard of one of these! Can you post a link to one? How does that work with FSX which doesn't use SLI?

8GB is still more than enough for today, and 16GB even more so. Even with 64 bit programs. Try running photoshop, lightroom, every office app and any other 64bit application on your laptop and see what your ram use is. I can bet you it'll be well below 16GB and probably below 8GB.

Either way, the amount of RAM being used isn't the issue with FSX/P3D at the moment, it's the size of address space that they can use. Going 64bit will increase the VAS, but it won't blow ram use out past 16GB. 32GB is overkill, even on a laptop planned to last 4-5 years. My laptop is 4 years old. Only has 4GB ram, yet I can run FSX with no OOMs and plenty of addons (777, ORBX, addon scenery etc), I can run photoshop and lightroom simultaneously with no crashes or getting anywhere near 4GB used.

Interesting never heard of one of these! Can you post a link to one? How does that work with FSX which doesn't use SLI?

They're mostly used by people with a single GPU that want to add more GPUs They're not that common yet, but have been popular for those wanting to explore 4K gaming at 100fps

http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

check this video

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I disagree, on my Asus G73 I run PMDG 737/777, ASN. UTEurope, payware airports, rex textures, clouds set to 2048, TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096, FS2crew, TrackIR...etc. I do online flying & I never had an OOM. I'm very satisfied with the performance. I also use my laptop for DCS World with high settings ^_^

To the OP go for 17'' or higher!

If got a One K56-5N with a 4x4.0 GHZ Intel 4940K desktop CPU, a geforce GTX980M and 16BG Ram (that i upgraded to 20 recently). My laptop also supports up to 4 harddrives (i have 2 build in.. one 250GB SSD and a 500 hybrid) and that for 2030€. The cooling is awesome and while you are only surfing the web, you dont even hear the laptop. It has no DVD however (but i actually never used one on my old One K56-3N). It has no 4K resolution but i heard there might be an upgrade later on this year. My 56-5N is a 15" laptop but you can get a 17" (i think its called K73-5N) for about the same price and specs.

and that is absolutely not true. it was a few years ago maybe, but we are at a point where the gap between a normal PC and a laptop is very small. I can upgrade everything in my laptop (CPU,RAM,Harddisks,GPU,..). Of course, for a higher price.. but then, some need the advantage of a laptop to be mobile and you pay for that. I use only laptops for more than 10 years already and with my systems, i never had problems with FSX or P3D or X-Plane or DCS World and i play most of those games with an Oculus Rift nowadays (which requires stable FPS and so on and so on)

I play only on my laptop as I currently live in South Korea and my desktop is back in France. I have very good performances and no VAS problems.

I have an MSI GS60 Pro Ghost edition. The time when laptop had crappy performance is gone, you can have very powerful laptops nowadays.

For what its worth, I am running FSX SE at 4K. Granted, its on a desktop. i7-4790K, GTX970. And it looks amazing! And there are laptops out there now that have the same (or better) processor that I do. Now if only I could get FSX SE to use both my GPU's I would be in heaven.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Valesius,
this is the solution to your problem:
http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fulcrum-17-Flight-Simulation-Laptop-GTX-970M-3GB.html

I bought mine last year (although I do not live in UK), it is a Defiant 2 17" with NVidia GTX 860M and i7 4810MQ Quad Core Processor 2.70 GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) and I am quite happuy with the performance in FSX-SE. Fulcrium was not yet marketed then and due to its more powwerful configuration, you can expect even better performance (read similar to a medium/high-range desktop).
Only week point: price.

Needless to say, the best laptop you can get can't compare to an overclocked desktop, but if you really need a laptop, as I do, then Chillblast is the solution to your problem. They are also very supportive if you need help for customization, some guys there must be FSX addicted.

Hope this helps.

Check out the Clevo P750/770ZM. Overclockable, multiplier-unlocked desktop Intel Core i7-4790K and GTX 980M with 8GB VRAM. You should have a reseller in your country. Besides the specs above, you've probably got as many customisation options as a desktop, including several M.2 slots, two SATA slots, up to 64 GB DDR3L RAM, and screen choices from full HD all the way to 2K, 3K and 4K. With a BIOS mod, you can overclock the GPU and RAM.

... and lots of useful (but contextually misplaced) info was exchanged in this wonderful thread....

And then the big fearsome moderator came along with his toolkit of punishments.

He huffed and he puffed, and he closed the thread shut.

And those who complained were tazered in front of their friends, an example to the rest...

;)

Have a great day.