Sign in to follow this  
ire

QANTAS 747-400 Last Flight

Hi,

The date has been set for the last Flight ever of the first QANTAS Boeing 747-400.

As I mentioned before the aircraft will be housed at the Albian Park Historical Aircraft Museum.

It will Leave its QANTAS Base at Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport and fly down the coast to its new and permanent home.

The QANTAS Boeing 747-400 will touch down at the Albian Park Airport on Sunday morning, the 8th March 2015 and the time will be at approx 8am Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time.

This will be subject to Weather conditions on that day.

Would it be possible to put the date and time of touch down on Avsim's Front Page for all Flight Simulator and Aircraft enthusiasts please.

Regards, IRE.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Letters to the Editorial Staff of AVSIM" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Sure will be interesting to see it land in YWOL! Hopefully they will have cameras in the cockpit.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Albion Park. (o)
Usually termed Wollongong (YWOL, NDB is WOL)

Sure is sad seeing all these last flights of the big 400, but I'm glad this one is being preserved.  At least we still have the 4-banger freighters flying for awhile still.  I know one thing, the 747-400 (as in PMDG 744v2) will never be retired from my fleet.

Take pix of her Dan

Chris Sunseri

I just hope somebody posts a YouTube for those of us thousands of miles away who will not be able to see it in person. And to think I used to see them in the late-80s to mid-90s taxi-ing out ever so slowly like giant beasts amongst a herd of 737s, and turbo-props to the departure runway at Manchester. Alas, now no more QF flights, discounting Emirates code-shares.

Hi Everyone,

Thursday 5th March.

On way back from Sydney I decided to check out the layout of the Airport and 'bumped' into the Manager of the Historical Aircraft Museum (sorry, can't remember his name) while looking for a suitable location to take photos.

He informs me that the QANTAS 747-400 has a departure slot around 7:40am, Sunday 8th March from Sydney Intl (YSSY) and is expected at Albian Park Airport (YWOL) approx seven to ten minutes later (depending on prevailing weather conditions) and will be landing on runway 16.

The airport is situated in a triangle surrounded by public roads with a roundabout pretty much directly in line with runway 16. According to the manager the N.S.W. police force will be closing all traffic in either direction at the roundabout while the Boeing 747-400 makes its final decent into the airport. At the southern end of the airport for a runway 34 approach is the Illawarra Hwy and that too will be closed also until the aircraft has landed and stopped.

The tug to tow the 747-400 is already there and will tow the aircraft from the runway to its temporary parking area until the permanent parking apron is completed.

I believe that there'll be a 'small' fenced off area that the public can view while the 747-400 is being towed and positioned in the temporary parking area.

I hope that this information is helpful to any aircraft enthusiast who is planning on travelling to the airport to see the QANTAS Boeing 747-400 make its final landing this coming Sunday, 8th march.

Regards, IRE.

A friend and I flew down to Wollongong a little while ago, and we spoke to a couple of the people down there about the arrival.

Additionally some news organizations have been doing some pieces about the event.

Audio of the discussion with the HARS guys can be found at

We were down runway 26, unfortunately the approach was so low we never saw it until it was on the ground!

Was a bit disappointed the internet cut out just before takeoff I was listening to liveatc app and missed the departure. I guess social media was using all the Telstra bandwidth..

Glad all went well, look forward to seeing it when it's open. HARS are having an airshow on the 2nd May will be good to see.

post-264169-0-85758500-1425766004.jpg