Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

This aircraft is a true Charm to handfly!

This must have been said millions of times since the 777 was released, and specially after the latest patches have brought it's FBW very close to real ( there being no way to properly model all of it's features given the limitations imposed by the HW we use in our controllers... ), but I couldn't avoid to express my admiration for EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS PMDG 777.

The 777 200 LR was offered to me by a great friend, soon after it's release, almost 1,5 yrs ago, but it was just very recently, when I decided to re-install FSX ( FSX - SE ), that I decided to buy the -300

My biggest problem is that I do not have the time, nor the will, to fly long-haul flights that would take hours and imply leaving the PC On for long periods of time without even being useful for any other task ( we must save energy in our Real World !!! ), so, while there is no program that implements jumps in time, allowing us to teleport our aircraft some hours ahead and into a close to ToD fix, I keep flying small flights that are completely unrealistic for a 777, or simply circuits around airports.

My criteria to pick an airport for a circuit is the worst possible weather withing the operational limits of the 777 :-)

I use ASN for the weather, and vly my circuits almost completely by hand, with the exception being when I need to access the FMC or configure the aircraft for landing, because I do not have sophisticated HW... 

And that's excatly when it really pays to feel the level of detail, quality, performance. smoothness, evrything!!! that this model provides us. It is so rewarding to perform one of this circuits, under strong gusting winds, with heavy precipitation, turbulence, kindly provided by ASN, together with those great Radar displays, and to really fight the weather, and bring the aircraft to a stop, just like we can observe on most videos of 777s landing IRL under adverse weather. It must really be as close to real as we can get, and it's still our good-old FSX providing us a virtual World that no other sim ( MS FLIGHT excluded ) was IMO able to provide, specially when it comes to weather rendering and effects!

I look forward for the 744 v2, I really do !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Glad you are enjoying her. Please take a moment to read about the PMDG Auto Time Compression feature. It may assist in doing exactly what you lament is impossible. Not exactly a "teleport" but something that will allow an Atlantic crossing in 90 mins ;). That way you can bury yourself in the finer nuances of ETOPS fuel planning ;).

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Thx Carl,

but I do use that great feature :-)  although sometimes I would prefer to be able to simply jump ahead some 6 hrs or so :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Just goto World / Map and pull the thing further simple.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hmmm, ZB, I guess a lot of complex systems in the 777 wouldn't approve that sort of "Map-Jump", not to mention clock time, to match what I would find when arriving there :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Oh I have no idea about the systems as i only fly small birds.

Why not try it,

If I could make a suggestion, fly the trip once using time compress if you prefer, say JFK - EGLL. Then when you get say 200 miles or so from TOD save the flight. After that , later if you want a short session you can start at JFK, fly to TOC or what ever point you desire, end the flight, reboot FSX, and load your saved flight and enjoy flying the approach. You can change the weather, time of day, or fly a different approach for variety. I have a few flights to Brazil and Chile I fly out of DFW this way. 

Vic green

There is a feature that Jim(Forum Admin)posted somewhere else, that allows you to jump forwards in a flight. It's called Quantum Leap.

@jcomm

Do you have ORBX that hmmm texture for FSX ? I just need to see how Nepal looks in that . I just need some area snaps once when departing from lukla go up 1300 ft turn North and then NE head 60 Nm and you should be at Mt. Everest.

Can you post some snaps ?

I know I should have made a new thread for this but it's only a few shots.

Let me know thanks.

No problem, I will probably not be able to get it until tomorrow night ( Lisbon time = UTC ), because I'll be away from my sim pC till then...

I was about to install Aerosoft's Lukla, but didn't yet do it, so, you'll be able to see how ORBX really enhances that area :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

@jcomm

Tomorrow would be great.

Thanks.

It's "just" FTX Global, not the Vector series. Actually it's my only ORBX add-on, but it's GREAT!

Main Simulation Rig:

@jcomm

You mean only textures correct ? and vector would be the mesh and roads i guess.

I just want to see the textures that's all.  I am using  Himalaya Mesh + Lukla airport from simviation.

Exactly!

Main Simulation Rig:

@jcomm

You can check this route. I am using the scenery from here.

http://www.simtours.net/mounteverest.php

You will need an aircraft with  a  powerful engine to climb up those mountains. And don't take your glider there :) not meant for soaring.

And sorry for the typo it's FL130 and not FL13 :)