Sign in to follow this  
mosteen

77W RTE2 ETOPS data entry

If correct that ALTN ETAs take account of current winds, then my method of ETOPS planning needs only the ETOPS entry/exit times and the ETP crossing lat/lon. I can then dispose of calculating crossing times for each and depend on the (tracked) accuracy of the PFPX OFP.

So I set a fix only for the ETP because the PFPX entry/exit points show only times, not lat/lon. The ETP lat/lon is shown.

Using the always updating ALTNs, I can see the ETAs for each selected airfield, and choose accordingly if something should go wrong. Just a DIVERT NOW to the chosen airfield and all is set.

My conclusion so far is that the dispatcher needs to know whether I am ETOPS certificate compliant, and I need only the planned ALTNs and the ETP lat/lon between each pair.

Does this logic stand up to your examination?

Cheers, R

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Richard, in short you can set a fix for ETP or ETOPS Entry/Exit, PFPX actually doesnt show those fixes just because its not available in that specific flight plan format you are using.

The flight dispatcher must be flight watching and making sure your ETOPS alternate airports are still suitable all along the ETOPS segment you are in, in another term if your alternates are still legal, Am guessing this is what you mean by ETOPS certificate compliant as that you are as a pilot certified to do ETOPS flights or not.

Arslan Nouar

Hi Arslan,

Ah! I had forgotten about the other OFP formats and assumed that the vanilla PFPX format would show all data available. Naughty me!

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

On the Subject of PFPX & ETOPs - PFPX has a wonderful function available on the Map View which can be used in conjunction with the ETOPS Tab found under the Advanced Tab in the Flight Planning Process - this is called Toggle Adequate Airports & is based around your planned route of flight that you have already created within PFPX & are using for the particular flight in question.

You can manipulate this to your hearts content & really drill into the forecast WX & NOTAM situation for ETOPs ENTRY & EXIT & ETOPS ALTERNATE Airports.

It helps to create the ETOPS scenario right in front of your eyes - it will pick ARPTs for you right off the bat but like all comouter programmes it is just that & you really need to interrogate to get the best result ... the old adage crap in ... crap out always stands!

Its early ... I guess I should have shown this in action but alas I am not flight planning ATM ...

0gi1UtU.jpg

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Steve, I see you are flying an Emirates 77F, and you're using 420nm as your 60 min.

How do one find this range distance for a certain type? For example, I mostly fly the 77W (G-STBJ). I have used 463nm, blatently found somewhere, but I know that is a value originally referred to the 772, and might not be correct even for the 772...

Just to tie this up -- from a regulatory point of view (EU-land) it is the 60 minute diversion time in still air on a single engine based on a set of reference conditions: with the aircraft weight as it would be at 60 minutes after takeoff from sea level in ISA, a descent to the diversion flight level and subsequent flight on one engine at Vmo/Mmo for the single-engine speed schedule. This results in a fixed 60 minute diversion distance for each type (or specifically, each model/engine combination).

There is an excellent Airbus document entitled "Getting to Grips with ETOPS" which is a few years old now but still well worth a read: http://www.smartcockpit.com/download.php?path=docs/&file=Getting_to_grips_with_ETOPS.pdf

Thanks Simon, no wonder the distance for each type/config is a bit hard to come by.

Any dispatchers here, feel free to pitch in :)

Cheers guys, excellent info in this thread!

23.png

Yes, a very valuable exchange of ideas. Thanks to each.

Cheers, Richard

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I was recommended to insert the ETOPS points at the end of RTE 1. After an arrival runway is selected (or end the route with the destination ID) insert a discontinuity and then insert the ETOPS points. This way, they are visible but do not interfere with track or distance and are not sent as position reports by the ADS. Also we use 435 as the threshold distance.

Cheers

Matthew Knight

Good info Matthew, that's what I've been experimenting with lately, combined with the advice further up, makes up for a good SA. I was able to find a table with weights and threshold data, 435 seems to be a good number.

Cheers,

23.png

Isn't RTE 2 just used to set up a return to the airport with any emergency turns/holds for departure, possibly also for an alternative runway approach setup for approach into a multiple runway airport? That's all I use it for but not entirely sure how it's used real-world.