Sign in to follow this  
Johnbc

FSX unstable in DX10

I read good reviews about dx10 ie slightly improved graphics, possibly better fps and more stable than dx9. I bought DX10 Scenery Fixer and carefully followed the instructions for setting up with AMD Catalyst Control. However I find that I'm unable to fly more than 20 minutes without the scenery breaking up ie large triangles, flashing large areas of the screen etc (previously I've noticed this prior to an 'out of memory' error). I have reverted back to DX9 and flown the same route but with no problems at all. I have experienced very few memory problems with DX9. I assume that I must be doing something wrong as I can't find any other similar complaints.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to eradicate this problem?

All the best,

Johnbc

Yes I have them also now and have reverted back to DX9. Since doing so my available VAS has increased.

I even lowered my graphics to the minimum with no effect at all.

Dave Taylor gb.png

For amd the only full solution is to use driver 12.4. As a workaround you should set water slider to no more than 2.low and aa to more than 4x. I recommend nvidia GPUs for dx10

Steve thanks for your support mate.  I sussed it tonight.

I always fly on-line in M/Player and discovered that ASN was conflicting with the weather on the IVAO server, causing big squares in the sky and on the ground too.  As I turned off ASN, they all dissapeared!

I'm assuming this is also happening with Vatsim.

Food for thought................................

Dave Taylor gb.png

Thank you for the useful information - I didn't realise that AMD Graphics Cards are such a problem with DX10. However I have altered AA to 8x and I now have the water setting to High x1. I tried it flying for well over an hour without any problems.

When I exit the flight I can't access the FSX Menu, I need to use Task Manager to close FSX.

I enabled the missing texture fix. I just have the one monitor. Escape doesn't work. The FSX Menu Screen is corrupted and after a while I get the message - Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly .........

When I revert back to DX9 there is no problem, it works fine.

John, you might want to try posting a description of the fsx menu/exit problem in the dx10 discussions forum to see if anyone there has encountered it or has a workaround, it's not something that I have experienced with nvidia or AMD - which Amd GPUS do you have?

When I exit the flight and it returns to the FSX Menu Screen, the screen has been corrupted ie the top left hand corner has an overlay from somewhere with buttons saying yes or no. Also the bottom third of the menu screen is absent except for the fly now button. I have tried clicking on this and settings etc but there is no response. The only solution is to delete it via Task Manager.

The AMD graphics card is - Radeon 9 series 280x with 3gb. I have installed the latest driver 14.501. I tried to find and install 12.4 but without success. I've reported this issue to AMD (if they can get it right with version 12 why can't they replicate this in the latest version).

Anyway thanks for all your help Steve. I will try posting it in the discussion forum.

@g7usl do you have the ASN missing texture fix enable

No Steve, can you give me more info on that please?

EDIT: Okay found it now. Will that solve the artifacts Steve?

Dave Taylor gb.png

I am not sure but it may. ASN on its own sometimes seems to try and use a texture before it is available, in DX9 this would be ignored and the cloud wouldn't be drawn but in DX10 it will appear as a black square. Shortly afterwards the texture is loaded and the cloud appears normally. This must be some timing issue. I suspect that the IVAO Interaction perhaps makes this scenario more likely. So I would try selecting the option.

It didn't solve it Steve. :-(   I P/M'd you here.

Dave Taylor gb.png

can you explain what your problem is please - are you using ASN weather and seeing the dark squares or are you experiencing spikes using an AMD GPU or something totally different - this old thread covers two separate issues.

Had the same problem with the bursting rectangles. Tried everything, and the solution turned out to be to just delete the [bUFFERPOOLS] section from the FSX.CFG file. That's it; simply remove any reference to Buffer pools. The entry puts too much strain on the GPU especially in DX10.  Voila no more busting rectangles. BTW there is no need to limit water effects or anything else. Just delete [bUFFERPOOLS] from your FSX. CFG.