Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

FSX GTX560Ti->GTX960 perf. boost?

I've had my computer setup since 2011, and although it runs FSX reasonably OK, I think it's time for an upgrade. Currently, with my sliders in the mid/mid-low range (except for Global Textures, which is all the way right), I get 28-30 FPS in rural areas (locked at 30 from within FSX), to about 10-15 FPS at big airport using an aircraft of moderate complexity, and even less using a very detailed one. If I upgrade my graphics card from my current GTX 560 Ti to a GTX 960, what kind of performance increase will I see, if any at all? I remember a few weeks ago that this one fellow upgraded his graphics card and saw a dramatic performance increase (don't have time to look for the thread right now unfortunately). Thanks for any feedback!

My specs:

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K  @ 3.40GHz 109 °F
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-28)
Motherboard
MSI P67A-G45 (MS-7673) (SOCKET 0) 83 °F
Graphics
E2350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  
LogMeIn Mirror Driver
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5002AALX-00J37A0 ATA Device (SATA) 81 °F
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST   a ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I would dare to say you wouldn't experience any performance boost. FSX is locked mostly to CPU usage. You'd be better off overlocking you CPU.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

FSX is locked mostly to CPU usage. You'd be better off overlocking you CPU.

I received an extra 15 FPS from overclocking my i7 2600K from the stock 3.4 to 4.5 GHz. The architecture can also boost performance as well (Haswell provides more instructions per clock cycle (IPC) than Sandy Bridge does, so there's a bit of a performance increase. I wouldn't upgrade to Haswell now, seeing as Skylake is due out sometime this year or next (new architecture).

The 960 has similar benchmarks to the 680 and as I went from a 560Ti to a 680 I guess my experience will be relevant to you. I wouldn't upgrade your graphics card if you are looking for a "dramatic performance increase", I remember not being impressed by the few FPS difference using the same settings however I was able to increase the textures and autogen significantly without taking a performance hit. In summary a graphics card upgrade wont make FSX run that much better but it will enable you to make it look better.

As above, the main sim engine only runs on a single processer core and broadly speaking it is the speed of that core that governs FPS rates which is why overclocking is the mantra for FPS performance.

I will agree with the rest of the guy. Although I would say you would see an increase of about 15-20% performance in cloud. You may experience smoother frames overall, but like the guys said, an overall increase would be very little. You may manage an extra frame or two if at all.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The 560 Ti video card is adequate for FSX, but to see a real performance boost you need more speed on the CPU.  FSX really comes to life with multiple cores running at 4 GHz or faster.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thank you for the responses guys. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the GPU, because the feedback seems pretty clear. I've joined an overclocking forum and will hopefully be able to boost my performance a bit. My GPU will need to be replaced eventually, of course, but it's nice to know that I can hold off for a bit!

Sorry to butt in, but would it be worth going from a GTX 580 to a GTX 970? 

Download a GPU monitoring tool such as GPU-z or MSI Afterburner, run FSX in a window and monitor GPU usage, if it's running at 99-100% useage for most of the time then a better card would potentially yield results. 

I had a 2600k with a 560/660/770/970. You will see a small increase but only a few fps. It will help more in bad weather then at a busy airport for example. If you play other games massive difference. But what you need to do is overclock that baby. You will see a massive difference between 3.4ghz and 4.2 ghz which it should do without breaking a sweat with a good cooler.

As for the other question 680 to a 970? Only if your running 3 monitors, for just 1 not worth it.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I had a 2600k with a 560/660/770/970. You will see a small increase but only a few fps. It will help more in bad weather then at a busy airport for example. If you play other games massive difference. But what you need to do is overclock that baby. You will see a massive difference between 3.4ghz and 4.2 ghz which it should do without breaking a sweat with a good cooler.

As for the other question 680 to a 970? Only if your running 3 monitors, for just 1 not worth it.

Actually, I just found out a day ago that for some inconceivable reason speccy told me that I had a -k when I have just a normal 2600. I spent a lot of time on an overclocking forum, then on the MSI forum trying to figure out why I couldn't get it past 3.9 ghz when the -k should go up to at least 4.2. Turns out that it should only be possible to get a non-k up to 3.8, and I got it to 3.9 at VERY good temperatures, so that's a plus!

Actually, I just found out a day ago that for some inconceivable reason speccy told me that I had a -k when I have just a normal 2600. I spent a lot of time on an overclocking forum, then on the MSI forum trying to figure out why I couldn't get it past 3.9 ghz when the -k should go up to at least 4.2. Turns out that it should only be possible to get a non-k up to 3.8, and I got it to 3.9 at VERY good temperatures, so that's a plus!

Sometimes you just get lucky!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.