Sign in to follow this  
Berike

P3D v2 + GTX 980 worth it?!

Hey guys,

After facing some OOM on 2.5, I'm thinking on upgrading my GPU from GTX 680 to GTX 980, but the thing is, up to what point it worth it?

Is there anyone running GTX 980 with P3D 2.5 here? What are the results?

I have a Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II Top 2GB

Would get a EVGA GTX 980 Classified 4GB

hi Fabio,

Consider price versus performance. Look at the benchmarks for the GTX970 and the GTX980 and ask yourself if paying the extra $220 is worth it.

I bought a GTX970 back in November and it's more than able to run P3Dv2.4 without overheating. I can't comment on P3Dv2.5 as I don't have any scenery addons installed yet because of the change in file locations.

And no OOMs so far. Have you tried the "UIAutomationCore.dll" trick with v2.5?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I play other games as well and drive simulation with iRacing, I think in my case GTX980 would worth to get than GTX970

What is the UiAutomationCore.dll ??

What's your cpu also?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

970 and 980 here.......amazing performance with everything maxed :)

What resolution are you running at?

(I think more specific posts when talking about performance are helpful for all to know what to expect)

What resolution are you running at?

(I think more specific posts when talking about performance are helpful for all to know what to expect)

1920x1080

Going from the 680 to a 970 or 980 will not help fix the OOM's and other errors that you are getting. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

In my opnion I don't listen to people who say they have everything maxed and get good frames....First off you won't be able to do a flight if you actually have 'everything maxed'. You would get an OOM probably on the load.

As a 980 owner I have my optimized settings to allow me to do a flight with no OOMs whiling keeping it fairly graphically appealing. If you are using PMDG or Aerosoft's Airbus series with FTX global/vector/lcEU and Pilots' Global mesh along with REX you cannot even come close to having "Max everything" and having a good smooth flight.

Do the 980 and P3D but don't expect anything absolutely insane when it comes to frames. You WILL however, have a GOOD sim....

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

I'm amazed at the number of posts/questions like this but even more amazed by the answers I so often see.

The question can only really be answered by the one who poses it. Are you unhappy with the performance of the 680? Then perhaps  a 970 or 980 might be "worth it." What are you expecting from the simulator in terms of settings and what more can you actually see when those settings are raised. My experience has been that a relatively higher end system built on a budget with settings that can be lived with affords me the most pleasure. I can spend more but at diminishing returns. The card I'm running is a GTX 760 4GB. My CPU, though not part of the question but is germane is a 3820K overclocked to 4.6. I built the entire computer for under $1000 and I run medium high settings in 2.4 with frames between 30-75 depending on what's loaded (all the popular stuff). If I were to drop another $500 on a 980 and sell my current card I'm not sure that I would enjoy the experience any greater than I already do and my CPU/GPU may not be perfectly compatible. IMHO, your present setup 3770/680 is highly compatible. Now for other applications, iRacing, I defer to others.

...You do not need the UI AutomationCore.dll fix

...Your OOM's are not caused by your video card.

James McLees

That's what I wanted to know, because the only struggle today for me is flight sim, with X-Plane 10 I have very good results, great graphics and no problems at all, but I don't like to fly there because of the available aircraft and the flight dynamics are weird to me.

Anyways, looks like the upgrade won't provide me much different, so I will wait a bit to upgrade, maybe if a Titan will be released for this 900 series, don't know...

It's funny, I can play Battlefield 4 in Ultra settings, with PhysX etc but P3D gets OOM LOL it's an old architecture that should be fixed

Jim mentioned to fix my .NET Framework with the Repair Tool and I didn't get OOM in my last landing, so let's see. I'm not using ORBX yet on 2.5, waiting for the update

The irony to all this is that one has to back off the sliders somewhat to avoid long haul OOM's. When the sliders are backed off, a 980 is unnecessary. Until the sim goes 64 bit I'm staying with a more modest rig, but after that, I'll probably throw all I can afford at it!

James McLees

The irony to all this is that one has to back off the sliders somewhat to avoid long haul OOM's. When the sliders are backed off, a 980 is unnecessary. Until the sim goes 64 bit I'm staying with a more modest rig, but after that, I'll probably throw all I can afford at it!

+1

Same thing, I think I will keep this set a bit more and when P3D 64bits comes… hope NVidia and Intel launch a very powerful beast :)