Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrewing

Real Instrument Rating Training Question- Holding at Intersections.

I'm currently into my IR flight training, and really enjoying it.If on an airway, and told to hold at an intersection located on that airway, is it common to hold on one of the cross radials that defines the intersection (usually just one other cross radial).? This wouild instead of holding on the airway.Thanks,Bruce (just anticipating this weekend's torture lesson :) ).

Guest jrewing

Hi Bruce,Spontaneous en route holds are usually arranged so that you can do a direct entry, so ATC will probably keep you on the airway. But it all depends on what the controller tells you. Like most instrument instructors, I like to give challenging holding instructions. ;-)If the hold is not published on the en route chart or on an approach plate, ATC's holding instructions will always specify:+ General direction in which to hold (this is the outbound direction, such as northeast, south, west ...)+ The holding fix - could be a VOR, a DME distance from a VOR, an NDB, an intersection, or a VOR radial and a DME distance.+ The radial, airway, course, or bearing on which to hold.+ Optionally - the leg length in miles if DME or RNAV is used, but will be specified in minutes on pilot request.+ Optionally - left turns, otherwise right turns are assumed.+ Time to expect further clearance. Don't accept a hold without this important piece of information!Good luck with your training. Glad you're enjoying it!John

Thanks John. My CFII takes great delight at "failing" the DG and AI as well. He hasn't done this in holds yet, but I bet it's coming!As far as holding at intersections- where the only "radials" are those defining the intersection (unlike a VOR that has infinite radials about the fix). Will I always be holding on one of those "radials" (and of course the airway defines one of them)? Meaning that there will be only 4 directions from the fix on which to hold, assuming the intersection is defined by 2 VORs?Thanks for the help. Once I have holds and DME arcs down, and get those steep turns going correctly, I have my first stage check. Then onto real stuff like approaches and talking to a real controller!Bruce.

Guest jrewing

Hi Bruce,I can't imagine an intersection hold that would not be on one of the courses that describe the intersection, unless you had three VOR receivers, GPS or RNAV. CFIIs tend to be twisted individuals, but after all, pilots are only human. ;-)Partial panel holds are fun and I suspect that you'll see a few. If you're like most pilots, you probably don't really miss the AI that much when it's been covered up, but the HI - ouch!Good luck with the stage check - knock 'em dead!John