Sign in to follow this  
Stewey

Need advices concerning my hardware for prepar3d

Hello all, i need some advices concerning my hardware. My goal right now is to Upgrade my prepar3d experience. My pc is 4-5 months old, and when i bough my hardware i wanted to have something really acceptable as a matter of performance vs price.

So here is my setup :o)

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz) (i am not overclocking it at the moment)

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+

HyperX Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Memory

EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 1300W

XFX Core Hydra Edition R9-295X-8QFA Radeon R9 295x2 8GB 1024 (512 x 2)-Bit GDDR5

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PDBW 2.5" SATA III

NZXT Kraken X61 RL-KRX61-01 280mm All-In-One Water /

completing with a nice aluminium case...So temp is not the problem i run at like 17 degree celcius to 35 celcius when its loaded for like an hour or so...

I have a couple Prepar3d addons, like FTX global, vector, ASN, preci, REX4+ clouds......etc....some aicraft..... but why am i stuck to 10-20 fps and not currently maxxed??? I  think the problem is my processor !!! he seems not really up to the task, he sound a bit overtaken... my sensor tell me very often that my cpu is 100% maxed out of  use. Any advices on how i could get better performance? My goal is to max everything. ;)

Forget FPS, aim for smoothness. You also need to remember that there are a bunch of people on this forum that have great rigs and don't run at maximum settings. It's all about finding that fine line between graphics quality and graphics performance. This is difficult because everybody has a different perspective on what this fine line looks like.

You have good hardware, better than me anyway. I get the sim to run smooth, but I compromise on the slider settings. That doesn't really bother me. But I remind myself that my pc isn't capable of achieving anything special, so I tailor my aspirations to fit this.

The only thing i would suggest is to overclock. This gave me a performance boost. Although I have heard others suggest there is no benefit. I disagree purely from my own experience of the results.

Personally I would change your expectation that you want to max the sliders otherwise you will always be disappointed.

Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Speaking from experience, as my old PC had an FX-8350, both P3D and FSX benefit significantly from single thread CPU performance.  Intel's single thread performance is much better than AMD's at the moment which you can see for yourself by perusing the various benchmark websites.  I've said this before but the best hardware change I have ever made for P3D was ditching that 8350 and getting Intel cpu (haswell).  I saw a much bigger performance increase with that change than I did when I upgraded my GTX 670 to a 980.

Ryan

Thanks guys for answers, i will lower my expectation and hire a new cpu ;-)

*edit: wich intel cpu do u suggest? i cant believe im going to sell my almost brand new crosshair board, cries. ;-\

I too had an AMD CPU (FX 6300) at one point. It was useless for flight simming :lol: 

Anyway, what's your budget for a CPU + Mobo? I would recommend AT LEAST an i5 4690k. If you can afford it, an i7. If you can't afford either, you could go with a 3rd gen i5. You would also see a performance increase with an Nvidia GPU, but CPU power should be your priority.

im not sure how much i want to spend, i already lost 1000$ with the GPU lol. now i hear that my cpu is not good and i have to change my mobo too lol. ;) so i should probably go for the i5 right? :(

If you're on a budget, I recommend the i5 4670k or if you want to save a bit more money, an i5 3570k. It's still pretty powerful, but won't kill your budget. You can stick with your R9 295 for now, or you can get a GTX 750(ti) or a 760.

If you're gonna get the 3570k: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304&cm_re=lga_1155_motherboard-_-13-157-304-_-Product

4670K: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131989&cm_re=lga_1150-_-13-131-989-_-Product

Before you get this stuff, did you modify and tweak your config file?

I did not tweak anything for now, i dont know what to do about it. ;)

Thanks TheNerd!

Speaking from experience, as my old PC had an FX-8350, both P3D and FSX benefit significantly from single thread CPU performance.  Intel's single thread performance is much better than AMD's at the moment which you can see for yourself by perusing the various benchmark websites.  I've said this before but the best hardware change I have ever made for P3D was ditching that 8350 and getting Intel cpu (haswell).  I saw a much bigger performance increase with that change than I did when I upgraded my GTX 670 to a 980.

Thanks for your awnsers, its good to hear, i will switch for intel for sure, but for the GPU it wont happen lol, i paid 1.6k for my gpu. ;)

A good starting point for tweaking in P3D would be this video: 

P3D doesn't require much tweaking, but a simple tweak will boost your fps substantially... even with an AMD CPU.

thanks for everything !!

one step closer tonight i bough a new GPU,  EVGA Geforce GTX 780, and thinking about buying an i7-4820k what do u think? 

edit: lga 2011, motherboard seems expensive, but i like the CPU benchmark for physics...

Finally bough an i7-3930k  for really cheap! lol ;) i cant wait to see the results next weekend!

I just tested my new rig yesturday!

Here is my new rig : 

Asus P9X79 LE LGA2011/Intel X79/DDR3/Quad CrossFireX and 3-Way SLI/SATA3 and USB3.0/A and GbE/ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011

Evga Geforce Gtx 780 Dual Ftw Graphics Card With Acx Cooler 3Gb Gddr5 384-Bit Double Bios Dual-Link Dvi-I/Dvi-D Hdmi Dp Sli

All i can say is Wow, the difference is incredible... Totally worth it! thank you guys ! Now i can maxx everything no exceptions and get the Same FPS i ad with my AMD built that was at medium settings overall.

Thank you