Sign in to follow this  
scott967

New build Socket/chipset?

So my Sandybridge Socket1155/Z68 that I built in 09 is having some issues but I'm thinking it's getting time to rebuild anyway, so just now getting back into looking at options.  I see a lot of buzz on Socket1150/Z97 vs Socket2011-3/X99 from last year and now that maybe the dust has settled a bit is there more of a clear answer?  Looking for something for another 5 years or so.  Don't need to spend big bucks for bragging rights as long as I can get as good or better as my 4.5 i7-2600k DDR3 PC-3 12800 7/8/7/24/1T RAMs I'm happy.  Also want to upgrade my GTX 580 but that's a separate problem.

scott s.

4790K or wait for Skylake

Those 2011 socket CPUs seem to be helpful if you run a lot of photoscenery but I still think the 4790K is best (mostly based on user reviews here)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well for starters if you go with the 1150 socket you can reuse your ram so that will save you some money, all you should need is a Z97 motherboard and a 4690k. $400 bucks total and your done. Everything else you can transfer. (That's what I would do). If you WANT to spend some money you can get the 2011 socket, but you will also need new DDR4 ram to go with it.

If you have good cooling and can reach 4.5 with the 4690k/4790k as you did with your 2600k that would give a nice boost there, as a 4790k @ 4.5 is equal to a 2600k @ 5.0. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Thanks.  For now I will concentrate on Z97 and see what I really need.  I'm kind of MB brand agnostic (have used several brands over the years) but I kind of like my current Asrock and right now think I will stick with them.  It seems like all the top-tier brands have "pushbutton" OC so you don't have to become a student all over again to figure out what settings to use (at least at first).

scott s.