Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

VREF + 20 kts and landing flap placard speed help

Do any of you NGX pilots bounce the AC during gusty weather? I can keep it coming down nicely, reduce the ROD about 20 ft and cut the throttles but somehow she keeps on bouncing. I don't know if its due to being too fast because of VAPP?

Vernon Howells

Bounced landings are rare.  Once the spoilers come up the jet is going to stay on the ground.  Most of the bounces I have seen are the result of flaring late (or not at all) combined with too much speed.

I don't know if its due to being too fast because of VAPP?

It's all down to landing technique. With gusty winds, you need to set the aircraft down firmly. The FCOM states that you should bleed off the wind additive (down to the gust correction) in the flare, touching down at the gust correction. It also adds that a smooth landing is not necessarily a safe one.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm landing with my full gust of 11kts onto vref + 30 139kts so about 150 i'm flaring with at 20 feet. It seems to float slightly though on the bounce. Its not a hard bounce may i say ;) i do focus my view to the end of the runway. I'm searching everywhere for tips!

I'll keep on trying as i'm flying into LPMA rwy 05 visual :) one of the most extreme airports. Never a day when its not gusty lol

Got a few RW pilots helping me too :)

Vernon Howells

The last two guys who answered here are RW pilots (though Joe actually flies the 73 and I don't), too.

As I've always said: just because it's from PPRuNe doesn't make it better.

Kyle Rodgers

I'll keep on trying as i'm flying into LPMA rwy 05 visual :) one of the most extreme airports. Never a day when its not gusty lol

Perhaps try a less extreme airport while you are learning.  One step at a time.

The last two guys who answered here are RW pilots (though Joe actually flies the 73 and I don't), too.

As I've always said: just because it's from PPRuNe doesn't make it better.

Do they fly into Madeira? I only asked on pprune for pilots help and got a good response. Infact i've learn't quite alot more about the AC :)

Perhaps try a less extreme airport while you are learning.  One step at a time.

I see myself doing the same old ILS app and wanted a challenge to boost my confidence in flying and getting to know how to handle her.

Vernon Howells

Do they fly into Madeira? I only asked on pprune for pilots help and got a good response. Infact i've learn't quite alot more about the AC :)

You are asking for advice on landing technique.  The airplane doesn't care if it's landing in Madeira or Chicago.  

Glad you got a good response. A landing is a landing is a landing, though...

EDIT: Joe beat me to it.

You are asking for advice on landing technique.  The airplane doesn't care if it's landing in Madeira or Chicago.  

Exactly.

Kyle Rodgers

I just thought i would mention Madeira. This is the first time i've actually took control of this AC and flew manually and multitasking, but with the help with my FO :D

Vernon Howells

I'm landing with my full gust of 11kts onto vref + 30 139kts so about 150 i'm flaring with at 20 feet. It seems to float slightly though on the bounce. Its not a hard bounce may i say ;) i do focus my view to the end of the runway. I'm searching everywhere for tips!

If you are landing Vref +30, I think it's excess speed.. Unless you mean flaps 30 Vref + a more normal number.

I never land Vref+30. Actually, I never use higher than Vref+10... That my usual gusty wind setting, instead of +5..

I'm thinking it's excess speed more than anything judging from what you describe.

I almost never bounce.. Quite rare for me.. Like Kyle mentioned, I will often land firm with funky winds or wet

runways, but I rarely bounce with a firm landing as my speed is not high enough to want to go fly again after

touching down.

I just performed numerous landings at a few UK airports and it was smooth with no bounce. So when i tried it at Madeira it slightly bounces? Winds are only 10kts today Flaps 30 vref + 5 only giving me 145 kts.

Vernon Howells

Done more landings no problem atall soon as i go to Madeira i bounce slightly and it seems to do a few more bounces even when my main gear is on the ground?

I set weather with winds only at 5 kts. Could this be a problem with the airport?

Vernon Howells

Ok i've been at it all day and got about 2 no bad landings out of dozens at Madeira. Harder than it seems alot to think about

Vernon Howells