Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Toolkit, and Weather ....

Does the toolkit allow for any weather parameters to be modified, such as those used, for instance, on the native FSX weather themes, which include good deviations from ISA weather ( Temp and Pressure ) ?

In MS FLIGHT, as far as I recall, no matter what weather team we chose, Alaska or Hawaii, it was always 15ºC and 1013 HPa everywhere... Can the toolkit imported themes also get different weather variables into MS FLIGHT ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm pretty sure that is possible, however, the toolkit doesn't do it for you - it must be done manually.

If you know your way around, you should find that .weatherTheme files can be opened easily via a text editor such as Notepad. You can use the themes set by MS, as a template, to create your own.

MS didn't set the temperature or sea level pressure for the themes so it resorts to its default values:

Temperature: 15ºC 

Sea Level Pressure: 1013.25.

When creating your own Weather theme, you need to be confident with .XML which is quite similar to HTML - I suppose you know this already!  Also use the Sim Prop Symbol definitions in the root folder of the Flight Toolkit. In this instance you will need to use propWeather.xml. 

I'm hoping to create a tutorial on this soon!

Good Luck! 

Thank you so much Kavinda!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the temp and pressure is.  It could be hard coded.  Was it part of the weather system in FSX?

It is, but I've seen it, long ago, when some two years ago I was rather busy looking into the insides of MS FLIGHT CAB files :-)

I also found out one of the reasons why the flight dynamics in MS FLIGHT felt so more "Real" than what we have in FSX ( by default ) - additional cross-moments of inertia present at least in the Maule!

Tell me, after making this install, which will actually bring me to places and times I experienced and made me so happy around 3 yrs ago when I returned to flight simulation by the hand of MS FLIGHT, will I be able to create Aerocaches in Portugal for others to try ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Theoretically they can be, but I need to double check that it is supported in Flight, and add that option to the tool