Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Bill Gates - The Greatest Evil Ever Spawned?

Guest daveg4otu

Perhaps one expression that may sum up all of the above - both Windows and IE etc is "User Friendly".From what I have seen of other OS etc( I have tried out Linux/Knoppix etc- but not Apple ) it all comes down to ease of use. With Windows I can sit a 5 year old child or an 80 year old lady in front of a PC and teach them the basics of using Windows etc in minutes rather than days.( and have done so several times recently).Dave

Guest ba747heavy

>If you'd read instead of ranted you'd have learned a bit by>now, but obviously that wasn't your intention.Ok.Edit: I fail to understand why you have to resort to personal attacks. I did not personally attack you or anyone in that post, in fact that post wasn't direct towards you. If you wish to explain the way you think, thats fine. However, you might want to read the AVSIM rules of conduct regarding personal attacks.

Guest metamarty

I fail to understand it too. Everybody who criticizes MS, or their products gets treated like this. I've seen it happen before. I won't reply to these personal attacks anymore. Just let jwenting live in his own world. We are obviously the enemy and nothing will convince him otherwise.

Guest glnflwrs

I have read this entire thread telling myself I would not be drawn into it nor would I succomb to the overwhelming desire to come to the defense of MS and Billy G. Before I start though I want to clear up one thing. I am not attacking or insulting anyone by my words. I am describing the attitudes of certain people and their outward influence on me. Only the facts.When overwhelming ignorance (not stupidity) and a complete lack of any sense of tolerance towards other humans is displayed as generously as has been here I can not remain silent.Those of you who insist on focusing on MS's or Mr. Gates' shortcomings and use those to perpetuate ill will towards him and his company are FAR FAR more evil and destructive than he/they are.What kind of humanitarian achievments are you personally responsible for? Is your operating system, web browser, flight simulator, office suite, or certification system available for use? How many computer type machine manufacturers specify your line of products?Instead of giving credit to an outstanding businessman and philanthropical giant you whine and spout your jealousy and untruths while all the time depending on and revelling in the use of his creations.Why don't you be a man. If you really don't like Billy G. and can't keep it to yourself, if you hate Microsoft and try to convince others you have a valid reason for it, be a man and trash your PC and never fly MSFS again. Why? Because, and get this straight, THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO REPLACE IT. No one has and probably will ever replace Windows or MS. So if you can't appreciate the person who brought that to you enough to not speak badly of him, don't take advantage of his successes.Be a real man. Stand up for your convictions. Don't fall prey to MS's tactics. Just trash your PC and never fly MSFS again. I know we won't miss you here.OR, you could gain some civility and maybe not care for him, but also be kind enough not to berate or deride him either. That would be real humanly. I apologize if anyone has their feelings hurt. You deserve it. A bit of your own medicine back at you.Glenn

Guest jdu

So I guess you ALWAYS think of everything before you post and you've never messed up before, right? WHat if I were to post a joke about something, does that mean I belive its fact? Just give me a break, alright?

You got me on that one... I have stuck my foot in my mouth big time in these forums.... But I think over the years I've learned what to avoid posting, and what not to--but I had some pretty glorius "crash and burns" early on in my forum career....Break given :)

Guest jdu

>I have read this entire thread telling myself I would not be drawn >into it nor would I succomb to the overwhelming desire to come to >the defense of MS and Billy G. Before I start though I want to >clear up one thing. I am not attacking or insulting anyone by my >words. I am describing the attitudes of certain people and their >outward influence on me. Only the facts.>>When overwhelming ignorance (not stupidity) and a complete>lack of any sense of tolerance towards other humans is>displayed as generously as has been here I can not remain>silent.>>Those of you who insist on focusing on MS's or Mr. Gates'>shortcomings and use those to perpetuate ill will towards him>and his company are FAR FAR more evil and destructive than>he/they are.>>What kind of humanitarian achievments are you personally>responsible for? Is your operating system, web browser, flight>simulator, office suite, or certification system available for>use? How many computer type machine manufacturers specify your>line of products?>>Instead of giving credit to an outstanding businessman and>philanthropical giant you whine and spout your jealousy and>untruths while all the time depending on and revelling in the>use of his creations.>>Why don't you be a man. If you really don't like Billy G. and>can't keep it to yourself, if you hate Microsoft and try to>convince others you have a valid reason for it, be a man and>trash your PC and never fly MSFS again. Why? Because, and get>this straight, THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO REPLACE IT. No one has>and probably will ever replace Windows or MS. So if you can't>appreciate the person who brought that to you enough to not>speak badly of him, don't take advantage of his successes.>>Be a real man. Stand up for your convictions. Don't fall prey>to MS's tactics. Just trash your PC and never fly MSFS again.>I know we won't miss you here.>>OR, you could gain some civility and maybe not care for him,>but also be kind enough not to berate or deride him either.>That would be real humanly. I apologize if anyone has their>feelings hurt. You deserve it. A bit of your own medicine back>at you.You said clearly at the beginning that you didnt mean to insult anyone, and that you wished to state only the facts. Since you so blantently lied about not insulting anyone at the beginning of you post, then we can rightfully doubt the validity of your so-called "facts". I won't try to disagree with you on your argument beacuse you have demostrated that you will just try to dodge the real question and attack me on the front of ignorance, jealousy, and un-civility.

This issue of browser compatibility looks different from a different side of the fence. I write - not professionally - web pages, and try to a) use standard wcc compliant code while still :( taking advantage of new features when they're widespread.The problem is that different browsers support different sub-sets of the code, and that major browsers have new functionality that is not yet part of the standard.The author has two ways to address this. 1) He can not use any new functions on his web pages. If everyone did this, the web would never evolve, and none of the fancy features we take for granted today would even exist, as they were all non-standard extensions once.2) He can use a get agent to determine what browser is accessing his page, and supply either a diffrent version of the page, or a different .css to work best with the browser being used.The problem with this is that, especially to support less-common browsers, you have to virtually re-write your web page for each browser. In the anti-microsoft example linked to above, there's an error in the Opera-specific version of the .css which causes it to display slightly wrong. The author of the article, of course, assumes that this is evidence of deliberate malfeasance on MS' part. As 'evidence' he points out that the same page displays fine in Opera using the MSIE style sheet. Well, yes, the home page does, because it probably doesn't have any fancy MSIE extensions on it - others of the thousands of pages on MSN.com probably look horrible in Opea with an MSIE style sheet or page version. The other issue here is the authors of Opera feeling that they're somehow entitled to have Microsoft expend programming time and storage space to make their web page compatible with Opera. Why? Why on EARTH should MS put themselves out to make a competitors product more attractive to use?Richard

jdu:"Hey! I never said that story was true"Actually, yes you did. You didn't say "I read somewhere that..." or "So-and-so is claiming that...." - you presented it in a simple statement of fact - "When Google (the search engine) refused to be bought up by Microsoft, Mircosoft decided to incorperate an interesting feature into the new Longhorn OS and the new IE's, they will not allow you to visit Googles page, instead it will redirect you to a Microsoft search engine, which is a direct copy of Google, just with a different name, and interface."No comment about "is that true" or any such, just the allegation posted as accepted fact.Richard

Guest Ken_Salter

Well this thread is running to its inevitable (unfortunately) end of personal attacks. I am locking it now so that when I wake up in the morning I don't have to worry about any overnight hijinks.