Sign in to follow this  
gfd

Taxi Steering

Greetings,

I am setting up my shiny new 777 in P3D. I have all of the axes setup except the tiller. Now I notice a number of posts about this issue. But to be honest, I think what I'm looking for is more of a newbie thing...so please bear with me.

I use Aerosoft's Airbus, and while I know it's not apples to apples; their tiller is assigned to Throttle #3. There is also a button to transfer control of the aircraft from the tiller to the rudder. That is modeled after the real plane. Please understand...I am not saying one is better than the other. I am just relaying what I understand from the Airbus. I have a controller with an available axis to use as a tiller.

So what is the process in the 777? What event do I assign to the axis to steer the plane and is there a way to transfer steering from one control to another? Now I know that Peter Dowson has a routine that progressively switches control between the two mechanisms, based on speed. Is that how Boeing does it?

If someone would be kind enough to set me straight, I'd be grateful. Would very much appreciate a simple answer. I am beginning a long climb, learning this aircraft. I'd like to keep my confusion level as low as possible  :blink:

Thanks and have a good day.

Please forgive the triple post. The web page crashed on me twice while writing this and I thought I had to repost...oops!  :unsure:

Please forgive the triple post. The web page crashed on me twice while writing this and I thought I had to repost...oops!  :unsure:

Always helps to verify. As far as the error goes, it actually says "Service Unavailable" (503 error) and not that the post didn't post, or that the server is down (where you wouldn't have gotten a response code). It's something that AVSIM should fix, but hasn't gotten around to yet.

Had this been a purchase, it could've been a costly mistake.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle,

Any ideas on the setup for the tiller? That's the one remaining axis. I can then move onto switches and buttons.

Thanks for setting me straight on the 503.

I don't think there is a separate tiller axis.... I could be wrong but I've been around this sim a lot and don't recall this feature.  Nose wheel steering is via 'rudder' axis but if someone appears with contradictory information I'd go with their ideas on the subject.

Dan Downs KCRP

This is for anyone who is interested. Assigned an axis to 'Steering Set' in FSUIPC. Click the Send to FS radio button. The plane changed direction, the rudder did not move, the nose wheel was animated.

Cheers