Sign in to follow this  
raymar

SP2 Just became available - Let's Go see what we have.

As far as I'm concerned the only thing lacking from this a/c from SP1 with Berts Mods is the Fuel Consumption gauge that was implemented on SP2... If we can find a way to add that to Berts Gauge folder and the cfg - We all set. all the other SP2 items Bert has adressed already.

Just my .02.

If anyone knows what files/code was added to SP2 to activate that gauge in the panel we can figure it out....

Flighto, knowing your taste from other threads (and Carenado planes), how good is the plane now, after SP2? Worth recommending since it's fun for at least some time to come or would you put her in the 'just another one in my hangar' category, running the risk of being forgotten when the next Carenado release is out?

Haven't bought her yet, hence my desperate research. ^_^

The Good:

The flight dynamics are nearly spot on. I mean they are almost PMDG good.

The model and textures are typical Carenado eye popping. However, repaint kits are still terrible.

The sound is fairly good if you consider you are wearing some sort of ANR headset. (Muffled correctly.)

Their systems are there but many lead to dummy switches that do no more than turn on a Warning, Caution or advisory lights. (Inverter test switch still does nothing, Weather Radar operates with Weather Radar OFF, STBY, TEST, Pressurization still likes to stick at -2,000 feet and scale is off for 8.8 PSID aircraft, fuel crossfeed is hidden, fuel cutoff levers are difficult to reach with mouse, ect)

Avionics are OK with many fixes to EFI-550 and SPZ-500 but still the autopilot does not operate per book. While this is understandable with no TCS available in FSX/P3D the IAS is still V/S based and not pitch based. IAS always pitches down when selected and over pitches when new IAS is selected. You can also exceed the limits of the actual SPZ-500 system.

FMS is still at best a very lightweight version suitable only for those who have no interest in actual FMS operation. They should scrape the Universal name off the device and call it what it is, Carenado Super Simplified Long Range Navigation System with limited features. It has as much functionality as some freeware FMSs.

Is it worth $45? That depends on how much you enjoy flying a 1984 Cessna II with moderately upgraded avionics. Remember it is called slowtation for a reason, this is not a jet on rails and this thing flies fairly close to the books. Try climbing direct to Fl430 at 15,000 lbs and you are going to be disappointed. Cruise climb this bird and she will do better. Hot and high, she is a pig. But a pig that will get you in and out of short airfields comfortably and still cruise at over 360KTAS. 400 KTAS is doable under the best conditions but she is not a daily 400 knotter.

Some people have had problems with fps. I have a i7 4770K (no oc) and a Nvidia 760 with 2GB and I have not had any stutters. I also use REX for weather and have some highly detailed airports that I have gone in and out of. I have noticed some texture swaps (usually in scenery) and it does take a moment to load this airplane. Overall the aircraft flies very smoothly on my rig.

Thanks for the write-up, Ken. How's your take on the FMC update? As a person already using the plane and liking it, would it add something for you or do you consider it very optional?

On another occasion, it seems like the SP2 really helped with some of the initial and SP1 problems. Good outcome so far.

Cool...

I would agree with Ken.....And I may add that this bird does not fly well above FL390/FL400 at any weight. FL390 seems to be mas usable ceiling for this model.

I would recomend this a/c only if you are planning on using the GTN750 or the IGS FMS. Unfortunalry I am still running SP1 as I went the GTN route with Berts mods and there have been no post SP2 mod version made - So here I sit stuck in SP1 - however SP1 with Bert mods is just as good as SP2 I would assume.

I recomend the GTN750 as well.....Awsome gauge.

Hope this helps as well.

Thanks for the write-up, Ken. How's your take on the FMC update? As a person already using the plane and liking it, would it add something for you or do you consider it very optional?

On another occasion, it seems like the SP2 really helped with some of the initial and SP1 problems. Good outcome so far.

See this thread on the FMS. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463159-hot-news/ We will have to see if Carenado changes anything when they release the FMS that can be updated or if they are just going to add a different Navigraph database and leave the default functionality.

(this may interest Bert P, and others;)

As far as I can tell from some initial tests, SP2 seems to correct the phenomena where when IAS mode was used, the vertical speed would always move to 500 FPM, before then moving to the correct (variable) vertical speed that maintains the speed, when the mode was engaged.

It seems IAS mode now "locks on" to the speed when the button was pressed, and immediately adopts a pitch/vs rate that maintains the speed.

Excellent result if it's the case.

I think I just get her now, with SP2 and considering the RXP unit for as long as the reports on the FMC come in.

The GTN is high on my list too but I think this gauge would need more than the MFD screen (which seems like a nice workaround for the lack of real integration nonetheless). Lets hope Carenado also provides a model update to integrate the GTN, as Ray has said.