Sign in to follow this  
Old_As_Dirt

Runways follow contours

For years, I have used the "flat" runway option.  This was brought about by turning it on early in my X-Plane experience and having bounced around all over the place when I first tried to use it.  I turned it off and hadn't, until recently, turned it back on.

As was brought to my attention by Andras/Alpilotx when I was having problems with some elevations around an airport while using his fabulous hd_mesh_v3, sometimes the airport just doesn't mesh with the surrounding terrain unless the "runways follow contours" is selected.  This is because his mesh is more accurate than the airport scenery.

This corrected my problem and works very well.  

It does, however, make some airport runways seem like taking off of a washboard.  I don't believe it is a bug as such, but there must be some way to smooth those runways and still have the contour mesh with the surrounding area.

I'm not really complaining as it doesn't occur often enough to really worry me.  I'm just throwing it out there to see what others think.

John

John Wingold

Yes, I've had some of my runways seem like a roller coaster.  I haven't found any that are so bad that I can't use them, but I do have the ends of some of my buildings that I placed in WED raised above ground level just a bit.