Sign in to follow this  
DaveCT2003

Call to Arms - Keeping a Valued Resource Valuable

How often do we see topic titles such as "Help!!!!!"

Especially when the  effective content is  "My xxxxx doesn't work."  - that's when I can't be bothered to respond.

I have never been a big fan of search engines on forums where specific questions are concerned. Quite often the results of such a search just lead to more confusion. Personally, I prefer to cut to the chase, and simply ask the question. I must have answered what amounts to the same question on various topics multiple times, but do you know what? I never get fed up of it. That's because I get a sense of satisfaction from helping someone when I know the answer to their problem.

I understand that some people get fed up with what seems to be the same questions asked over and over again, but there is one easy solution to that if it annoys you. Ignore it, and move on to something that does interest you.

No disrespect to the OP intended. I appreciate you taking the time to start this thread, and post your thoughts B)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I agree with you Christopher, forum search engines are very seldom helpful. I do a general Google search. More often than not I find the answer to my question. Mostly, in fact always, the answer comes from a forum where the 'dumb' question has been asked before...But it did save me from asking it. :P

Thread titles? Don't get me started! Titles like 'FSX' and 'P3D' and, and...

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I'm more put off by "asked a thousand times, why don't you try a search" and "RTFM" type kneejerk responses, almost always put forth with an air of condescension, than I am by seeing a simply answered question asked again and again. In terms of finding information via a search, I find the more times a question has been asked and answered, the easier it is for me to find an applicable solution, not the opposite.

So where have we got to? Answer questions that have been asked a thousand times or encourage people to think for themselves a bit? :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

. I must have answered what amounts to the same question on various topics multiple times, but do you know what? I never get fed up of it. That's because I get a sense of satisfaction from helping someone when I know the answer to their problem.

Yes you did Christopher and thank you,  you have answered many a question for me  :rolleyes:

Im only here 5 months now,  I know it probably feels like much longer:)  but when I joined I knew nothing about files, adding scenery, settings Etc Etc and yes I asked all the usual questions thinking at the time I was the first to ask them,  5 months on and yes of course I see all the same questions being asked over and over again but I was there only a short while ago and know exactly what it was like.  Looking back now I could have done more home work and research but I didn't really know how and I thought "My Problem" was an original one and wanted to ask it in my "Own Way" 

5 months on and thanks to Avsim and its Members I have a good grasp on things now and hope some day I will know as much as some of the folks here to give a little back by contributing my knowledge on our hobby   :rolleyes:

I personally see this as a "idealism vs. reality" situation (and debate).

Although there's probably no right or wrong answer, I personally just like where Jim Young is going with it - maintaining friendliness and helpfulness and not allowing AVSIM's standard's to drop and for new members to be 'blasted' for asking "the wrong question".

Is it realistic to expect there to be only a handful of posts on each subject, and for everyone else to search and find those, rather than asking similar questions themselves?      People aren't robots and what is annoying to one person is really no big deal to someone else.

Jim's analogy about the grocery store is fantastic; ...... someone asking where the milk is, being told "uggh, didn't you look on the directory when you came in??", (or perhaps more aptly, "ugggh, can't you search for it??"  :lol: ).

The OP talks of protecting AVSIM as a resource and that's of course a valuable concern - but protecting it as a resource could just as easily amount to keeping it as a professional-level, courteous, welcoming FS forum rather than a grumpy old men's club,  as it could to reducing duplicate questions.

I get a sense of satisfaction from helping someone when I know the answer to their problem.

True Scholar!

Forum etiquette is important for any large community like AVSIM's.  I personally like the definition of proper forum etiquette at the following website -

Thanks for your kind comments regarding our Moderators.  It is sometimes a thankless job but we do receive a lot of thanks and do appreciate those nice comments.

Excellent response to an excellent opening post. I am in complete agreement that the attitude of some individuals on the forums, requires a bit of adjustment. Nobody likes to less informed after resding a response than they did before asking the question.

The opening poster makes some good points. I notice on several support sites that when you start a topic, a list of suggested similar topics pops up. Would that be practical here?

I notice on several support sites that when you start a topic, a list of suggested similar topics pops up. Would that be practical here?

Thanks!  The OP has a point and we always enjoy getting suggestions for improving our website.  I've seen that too on various websites but do not recall seeing them on any in the flight sim community.  Our membership, old and new, have a lot of questions.  We survive with our members feeling free to come here and post the comments or questions without interference from a virtual machine.  Heck, a lot of our members are really becoming professional responders to questions asked over and over (like where is the fsx.cfg?).  They feel like they are helping someone as they, at one time, were in the same position.  We make look at gadgets like this in the future should we upgrade our system.  Thanks for your suggestion!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

At the end of the day, if you get frustrated by what may be appear to be a question asked/answered a thousand times before, click the back button and move on to another thread. I don't think you'll ever get away from or fix people posting up questions that may have been asked numerous times before. We're here to help so live by that and help a fellow simmer out.

At the end of the day, if you get frustrated by what may be appear to be a question asked/answered a thousand times before, click the back button and move on to another thread. I don't think you'll ever get away from or fix people posting up questions that may have been asked numerous times before. We're here to help so live by that and help a fellow simmer out.

+1

Respectfully,

First and foremost, for all the mods on this forum: yes. This is indeed why you are "mods", and that you answer each and all questions, whether from newbies or not. "Clueless"? "Ignorant?" "Got an agenda?" - all handled respectfully.

At 62 years young, but having been working with computers since '73, I intuitively know (now) what questions to ask, and I am a sage to my friends, co-workers, and family. Others in our community, as you point out, may not be that well versed.

Your patience, tenacity, and forbearance are admired. 

Thank you.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I think the following video link pretty well sums up the OP's initial statements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qf6Sv3A9zs

LOL!!!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I agree with that!  :BigGrin: Brings back lots of memories too....

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10