Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

MyTraffic V6 for P3D inbound

Hi Jay,

A good UI is really more about avoiding support incidents (i.e. allowing users to make mistakes) ... I don't have the product yet, but I'm going to assume that all the versions (FSX, FSX-SE, P3D v1, P3Dv2, etc.) listed in the menu will only appear to the relevant user installed version?  So if I only have P3D v2.x that's all I will see?  Over the many years (30+) of coding user interfaces, one key element to my designs is to never provide the end user with more information/options than they need to see ... this has drastically cut back on support calls, doesn't overwhelm the end user, and makes for a less busy interface.

Just my natural instinct as a developer to critique a user interface ... I've seen many really odd UI's when it comes to 3rd party.  I realize it's often just one person coding so the UI takes a back seat to providing the meat of product content ... so I do understand it's not a high priority task.

If you want a good UI example, check out RealAir's aircraft configuration tools for their Turbine Duke V2 ... very well done.

Not picking on the product (Burkhard), just making some observation, I can work with whatever interface is tossed at me and it's the content that matters ... but good UI's do reduce support incidents and if the developer is also the support person it can reduce that load and free up one's time.

Cheers, Rob.

Looking at the screens from the product posted at Simmarket and they still look similar to what I had in FS2002 except way too shiny. Many of the liveries and fonts are simplistic representations of what they should look like.

I know it's cheap and easy, but to me it drastically reduces and cheapens the visual of what I've worked hard on getting. From all of the addons and hardware that so many have invested to make FSX/P3D etc run AND look beautiful it's like one step forward, two steps back.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

OK, all installed and the models imo look great sorry did not take a picture of that.

Note I also used Air traffic Manager. http://www.mediafire.com/download/zmdftsy127jgux2/AirTrafficManagerFSX-P3D+Radar.zip

Test. 

I thought of the hardest test I could do.

EGLL ............................................................Aerosoft version.........OUCH!

Gate 535 facing East to all of London and  all the airport......OMG..OUCH!

PMDG 738WL...................................... ........not what you would call easy!

Traffic commercial @30%, no GA. ............................This they say =real life!

Top Down with FPS Lock 30/30 more to show coverage.

my.jpg

Now the Hard one I was not running ASN/clear sky.

26 fps locked at 30.

my6.jpg

IMO

That's great.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I second Rob's comments about the user interface. And this has been going on for 8 or more years. And no v6 manuals to boot to help with understanding how one is supposed to use this interface. Not at all what I expected.

And just a heads up: the P3D v2.5 setup appears to be all screwed up, at least on my system.

Assuming you can follow the setup instructions, which is quite an assumption because they appear to be tailored to FSX, not P3D, and possibly include irrelevant and incorrect remnants from the v5 setup instructions, the simobjects.cfg entry that was entered in my config was incorrect. It pointed to a non-existent "Aircraft" folder in the P3D main folder. Once I changed this reference to the correct folder in the main MyTraffic folder at the "C" level on my system, I then had MT AI traffic. 

One shouldn't have to go through this with payware. 

Robert

Looking at the screens from the product posted

Probably no changes to models or textures just a platform (gui) implimented to get it to run in various programs and maybe some performance enhancements - aircraft enhancement also would have taken a very long time to achieve everything expected   

Rich Sennett

Well given that you only see them up close at an airport this is good enough for me. If you think this is 2002 look, well each to there own :P  :smile:  

skin.jpg

As for installing.

You open up the communicator and with the install manual you have to click 3 things, really hard!

well its this hard

Click Configure MT and select localize MT

Same for P3D

Manage P3D ....click simobject ...click green button

Option!! select schedules=2015 so 4 clicks with this

-----------------------------------------------

open P3D and add MT to scenery

Yep its that hard!

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

+1

Don't think I'll bother then. The old one works fine on my system. What a disappointment.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

"Assuming you can follow the setup instructions, which is quite an assumption because they appear to be tailored to FSX, not P3D, and possibly include irrelevant and incorrect remnants from the v5 setup instructions, the simobjects.cfg entry that was entered in my config was incorrect. It pointed to a non-existent "Aircraft" folder in the P3D main folder. Once I changed this reference to the correct folder in the main MyTraffic folder at the "C" level on my system, I then had MT AI traffic. 

One shouldn't have to go through this with payware."

Same experience here.  After all this time I certainly expected a much cleaner installation process.  It took me awhile to get it all sorted out on P3D 2.5.  The installation instructions are as clear as mud.

Well given that you only see them up close at an airport this is good enough for me. If you think this is 2002 look, well each to there own :)

That looks decent Dave - no problems installing it on your end - trouble free install I will be looking into this - hows the performance compared to UT2 - thats the big question

Rich Sennett

but I'm going to assume that all the versions (FSX, FSX-SE, P3D v1, P3Dv2, etc.) listed in the menu will only appear to the relevant user installed version? So if I only have P3D v2.x that's all I will see?

The menu drop downs for each sim will still be there but the contents of the drop down will be grayed out until you set the path for each specific sim.

The Communicator is only used for initial configuration,choosing your schedule and checking for updates after that it is set and forget.

There is also the MyTraffic Editor where you can create your own scheduled traffic and compile it and a few other tools included.

Burkhard Renk has been crafting this series on his own for a very long time and his support is good definitely among the best out there.

Guess you did not take the time to read /MyTraffic Professional/MyTraffic/Manual/install.htm, which helpfully pops up during the install and clearly explains how to use the Communicator to configure the software, including how to use the program to add the entries to your cfg files.

If you already had a simobjects line for MyTraffic it clearly explains that you need to use the editor to remove the line and then press the button "get manual edits"

If people dont read the install manual then go for it :huh: . If you do read it :shok:  set up takes around 3-4 mins. Like Glynn said its a one of thing.

@Rich

hows it performance compared to UT2, no idea Rich never had it, but you can see from my test how MY6 performs and looks. Am happy  :BigGrin: 

The funniest thing to me about version 6 are the notes about the Traffic Toolbox. FSX has it in the SDK, as does P3d2. But FSX-SE doesn't come with it and one has to hunt around (cough, cough) for it on the Internet. It's really not needed unless one wants to create their own schedules. In fact, if all you want to do is run the 2015 schedule, you will never use the communicator app again.

Guess you did not take the time to read /MyTraffic Professional/MyTraffic/Manual/install.htm, which helpfully pops up during the install and clearly explains how to use the Communicator to configure the software, including how to use the program to add the entries to your cfg files.
If you already had a simobjects line for MyTraffic it clearly explains that you need to use the editor to remove the line and then press the button "get manual edits"

I had no previous simobjects line for MyTraffic, so why would I follow that procedure? Look, the instructions are unintelligible to anyone who hasn't been using the program before. And that simply shouldn't be the case.

And after one look at the models, which in my opinion only degrade the quality of P3D v2, it's back to UT2 for me. There's simply no comparison.

And after one look at the models, which in my opinion only degrade the quality of P3D v2, it's back to UT2 for me.

Wow, you managed to assess all of the 201 models and 5594 liveries with one quick look, that's pretty impressive.

Look, the instructions are unintelligible to anyone who hasn't been using the program before

Read the manual and only read were it talks about P3D sorry I totally disagree its very simple if you read the install manual.

And after one look at the models, which in my opinion only degrade the quality of P3D v2

skin.jpg

So you think this looks "degrading? UT2 must be amazing.

Just did a bit of Air plane spotting at LSGG, @30% things look very busy.

lsgg.jpg

lsgg1.jpg

lsgg2.jpg