Sign in to follow this  
Webguy

777 Landing/Takeoff Distance

Hmmm

I had thought that Carbon Brakes had better operating characteristics as well, which translated into better braking performance. It would be interesting to know if anyone has experience of a retro fit from steel to carbon and whether braking distance was affected.

Ready to stand corrected ... as always ...

Hmmm

I had thought that Carbon Brakes had better operating characteristics as well, which translated into better braking performance. It would be interesting to know if anyone has experience of a retro fit from steel to carbon and whether braking distance was affected.

Ready to stand corrected ... as always ...

What I mean is that when you have a runaway long 11.200 FT, slowing down 50 FT first or after doesn't means nothing for me. That's way I say the difference of breaking is irrelevant. And also there is another factor to consider that a 737 has less "volume" then a 777 and the aerodynamic forces on the ground are different, you feel this even when you taxiing, many times with 737 and throthle to IDLE, you rech 15 to 20 knots on the taxi way, with 777 you should arrive near zero velocity. The friction with the air and the ground depending very much by the volume of the object wich push the air in front of him (newton's law), because the air push in the opposite direction with the same force. You can observe this by doing a little experiment: without touching any brakes after landing, and see the difference where stopped the two plains, one in confront of the other.

Howdy All

I've just been advised that to date Boeing have not done the certification testing for carbon brakes retrofitted to the 737's. Enough testing was done to ensure that the unit guaranteed at least equivalent/better performance, but to save costs the full test regime was not done to produce the data. Apparently the weight reduction in the hardware involved is about 300kg.

The Max on the other hand will come with carbon brakes and the full data equivalent for better landing performance - and rejected takeoff performance.