Sign in to follow this  
Polar

It was a great ride

To all my fellow FS9 users, I made the decision last night to delete as much of my FS9 files possible, (still nn FSC for flight planning) over 130GB, 10 yrs of FS9. Leaving MSFS was a tough decision due to all the investment. But my current simulation just made it impossible to continue w/ MSFS. 

A BIG THANK YOU to all out there who supplied so much help, so many add-on's and utilities for this wonderful sim. This was a tough decision w/ all the money spent, and great great add-on's. I tried many times to continue w/ MSFS but it was like night and day, and in the end I knew this was something I had to do.  :rolleyes:  Thank you again

I have gone over to the dark side lol

One day I to will join the dark side (I will go directly to P3D and skip FSX). But right now I am not ready to go to the dark side.

I went to Xplane  :ph34r:, I am sure you will enjoy which ever you decide, lol It was a difficult decision at the beginning, XP or LHM, I chose XP because of the many simple ways of doing things and of course 64 bit application. It is by far more advanced then either MSFS or P3D and the flight dynamics are so much more real. It is different and will take a little time to get use to, but after a week or so all begins to come together. Flying becomes flying and you will notice it right away, that was the biggest catch for me after making the change. FS just felt to easy ...and that w/ a few other things made it impossible for me to go back.

I'm too, using X-Plane, a lot....................................but I also use FSX just as much.  I have a new computer setup this year, which allows me to run both sims with very high frame rates. They both look amazingly smooth.  I can also drag the fps down, with runnning complicated scenery, aircraft, and super high upper settings. Doesn't matter whether its 32 or 64 bit.  Just when I get an amazing screen shot in one sim, I'll switch to the other for comparisons. Depending on what & where, one sim will win or loose over the other. At the end of the day, I'd have to keep both....................because I know I'm loosing out, if I don't. BTW, frame rates have hit over 200 with both sims.

As to the flight dynamics thing...........I've argued that forever, it seems. I flew, built, and owned real airplanes that could do over 200 mph. They were semi high performance and aerobatic capable. I've still found, that there is no clear winner in the flight dynamics department. I know what I'm looking for. Sometimes, I think the feel of flight is attributed to smoothness, and perhaps a sensation of turbulence. MSFS will default to a smooth ride. Real airplanes can certainly have a very smooth ride, depending on weather conditions.  

It's the "too easy" part, that always gets to me. A real plane when trimmed, will fly rather smoothly in calm air. My non pilot wife, and friends could fly mine for hours. My wife would often say............."it's smoother than rails". It was as if we were suspended in the air, and the ground was just slowly drifting underneath. In reality, we were doing close to 200 mph across the ground, and my plane was far more sensitive to the controls, than an average Piper or Cessna.  Depending on turbulence, we'd jokingly call the flight, an FSX or X-Plane flight.  For FS9 and FSX, some of my favorite aircraft, were from RealAir. They're great, in the flight dynamics department. The Marchetti SF260 for FS9, was much like my real life Vans RV6, in the way the controls felt. I've also flown the real life Marchetti.

I do think it's very worthwhile to branch into different sims. The mountains and sunsets of X-Plane are sensational looking. I also have some favorite X-Planes for flight dynamics.  Runways following contours can look real nice, or awful. It all depends where.  It seems that many still prefer flying airliners in FS9, and jump between the two sims.

There was a point, two years ago, where I quit simming. My old computer system just couldn't keep up with it. The new one is amazing!

I'm too, using X-Plane, a lot....................................but I also use FSX just as much.

Double turncoat!

Just haven't got around to loading FS9 on new systen. 300 fps might be hard on the eyes. :)

FS9 is still installed on my system, but I rarely fly it anymore. I also have FSX, P3D 2.5 and X-Plane. I'm like Tom Hanks character in the movie Castaway. FS9 is like my "Wilson". I don't really have a use for it anymore, but I just can't bring myself to uninstall it.

NAX669.png

X-Plane 10 can be nice.

I have been taken to the dark side - combat flight simulators like DCS and BOS - and into very specific high quality simulations like that provided by Aerowinx PSX, but FSX-SE is, by far and behold, my preferred overall civil flightsim, with MS FLIGHT having also been a sign of things to come... ending too soon... or probably not...

I use fsx for the fantastic / unique PMDGs, but PMDG is coming into XP too - promising!

For the most advanced flight dynamics, I still have to start DCS or il2 BOS... although I really didn't like the type...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm too, using X-Plane, a lot....................................but I also use FSX just as much.  I have a new computer setup this year, which allows me to run both sims with very high frame rates. They both look amazingly smooth.  I can also drag the fps down, with runnning complicated scenery, aircraft, and super high upper settings. Doesn't matter whether its 32 or 64 bit.  Just when I get an amazing screen shot in one sim, I'll switch to the other for comparisons. Depending on what & where, one sim will win or loose over the other. At the end of the day, I'd have to keep both....................because I know I'm loosing out, if I don't. BTW, frame rates have hit over 200 with both sims.

As to the flight dynamics thing...........I've argued that forever, it seems. I flew, built, and owned real airplanes that could do over 200 mph. They were semi high performance and aerobatic capable. I've still found, that there is no clear winner in the flight dynamics department. I know what I'm looking for. Sometimes, I think the feel of flight is attributed to smoothness, and perhaps a sensation of turbulence. MSFS will default to a smooth ride. Real airplanes can certainly have a very smooth ride, depending on weather conditions.  

It's the "too easy" part, that always gets to me. A real plane when trimmed, will fly rather smoothly in calm air. My non pilot wife, and friends could fly mine for hours. My wife would often say............."it's smoother than rails". It was as if we were suspended in the air, and the ground was just slowly drifting underneath. In reality, we were doing close to 200 mph across the ground, and my plane was far more sensitive to the controls, than an average Piper or Cessna.  Depending on turbulence, we'd jokingly call the flight, an FSX or X-Plane flight.  For FS9 and FSX, some of my favorite aircraft, were from RealAir. They're great, in the flight dynamics department. The Marchetti SF260 for FS9, was much like my real life Vans RV6, in the way the controls felt. I've also flown the real life Marchetti.

I do think it's very worthwhile to branch into different sims. The mountains and sunsets of X-Plane are sensational looking. I also have some favorite X-Planes for flight dynamics.  Runways following contours can look real nice, or awful. It all depends where.  It seems that many still prefer flying airliners in FS9, and jump between the two sims.

There was a point, two years ago, where I quit simming. My old computer system just couldn't keep up with it. The new one is amazing!

What kind of computer do you have, I am getting up in years and probably will only have one more system and would like something that can produce...thanks for any advice

Err... are there any Mods in this Forum??

Perhaps someone could post a naughty word to bring them running... 

Folks this is the FS9 Forum, and while some might want to share your pain under the usual "New Topics" mistake, this surely is not the place for this discussion?

What kind of computer do you have, I am getting up in years and probably will only have one more system and would like something that can produce...thanks for any advice

I7-3960x, which was super deluxe, but now 3+ years old (technology wise). MSI Geforce 980, 16G ram, 256GB SSD, and a 2 & 3 T Hard drive.

I7-3960x, which was super deluxe, but now 3+ years old (technology wise). MSI Geforce 980, 16G ram, 256GB SSD, and a 2 & 3 T Hard drive.

Sounds very impressive I will keep your specs. Thanks

There's no mods in here anymore? That means we can do what we like!!

Boo to fsx! Boo to p3d!!! Boooo booooooooo!!!!!

:D

:lol:  :lol:

There's no mods in here anymore? That means we can do what we like!!

Boo to fsx! Boo to p3d!!! Boooo booooooooo!!!!!

:D

And we thank you for your support! ..............

Amazing what friends you have when united by a common cause!

Down with FS2000 err ..... FSX talk and that other thing that's being mentioned!

I dived in early, and gave the topic a 1-star rating.

But I see the perennial bottom-feeding FS9 1-star topic awarder has not been put off by this early strike, and is content to award a second 1-star vote !   

I wonder if it is fascinated by the 1-star thing... perhaps next time I find a virgin topic I will award it 5 stars, and see if the pbF1sta again goes for a 1, to deliver a surely uninteresting 4-star result?