jgoggi

So fps higher or lower in P3D?

In FSX/P3d in my test with the 777...

Same airport 

same runway

No weather(clear skys)

Same addons

Same LOD 4.5

Same Auto Gen settings,  Complex back one from max, Auto gen Dense. 

etc etc

They are not the same in I have VC shadows on but the rest I set to make close as possible. But I have to run diffrent NI setting to make the VC as sharp as FSX or close to the sharpness.

With UK2000 EGNX RWY 27

Orbx Global/Vector/OLC

FSX= 85 FPS

P3D= 42 FPS

I Run 30 Locked in both sims. You don't get the drops in P3D with mouse over showing or the loss in FPS when Locked compared to FSX.

So for me, Both are smooth as can be.

Before you ask

i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz(Corair H100i), GTX 780 6GB, RAM 8Gb 2133, Asus Sabertooth MK2 Intel Z97, SSD 1TB FSX, SSD 250GB P3D 2.5, SSD 250GB W7.
Controls= Hotas Warthog+Saitek Cessna Pro flight Rudder Pedals.

TrackIR with EZDOC

Only have one SS but from Torp, 80 Fps here FSX, sorry these are from paint no photoshop on this PC, so rubbish but hey.

fps1.jpg

fps.jpg

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Actually the T7 already feels fluid in FSX - so "more fluid" in P3D???

Actually yes it is.Makes you just forget the fps counter from fraps for a while.But i do find some bottlenecks with the autogen slider so leaving this at normal is the best with the 777 in my own opinion. VAS is still my biggest challenge because i like to travel alot around the globe .

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Thank you David. Now I CAN'T believe that one can't feel the difference between 85 fps and 42 fps! Go try a landing with 85 and then with 42, you will see how different it is, even if with such high rates having 42 is of course very fluid... With a less powerful system P3D will surely be more annoying than FSX as to frame rate (by the way, it's great that you can have 85 fps, I have a 4790 at 4.4 and a gtx 760 and the maximum I could get in a scenery like that in FSX is 40-50 fps).

James Goggi

I don't need to go try anything, thanks.

You draw your own conclusion.

Am going to make a long post about how to get the most from the 777, it should help most people.

I only put fps on unlimited to test head room, I run 30 fps locked, P3d "feels" smoother at 30, like no stutters when you start an engine.

Running fsx unlimited at 80 is not smooth not as smooth as running it locked. Because when it needs to load something you start to get stutters because it has no head room.

Ask me if 30 is smoother than 20 fps and hell yes, it's a diffrent world with the 777 or NGX. 20 might be smooth to some but controlling both aircraft at 30 fps is totaly diffrent to trying at 20.

To me 30 is the sweet spot.

Your welcome by the way.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

A superb observation and statement, David.

I have no idea why some people have this obstinate obsession that FPS figures are the end-all-and-be-all of simming. I get exactly same rates as you, more or less, and I am more than contented with the smoothness, the lack of stutters even at UK2000's Heathrow Xtreme v3. I see the ASN clouds wafting past me both in External Spot View Locked and in VC, all going past smoothly as if I was on a real aircraft.

I have no idea why some people have this obstinate obsession that FPS figures are the end-all-and-be-all of simming.

You have no idea because you have never tried a real flight simulator. Much of the realism and of the immersion factors are given by the fluidity and very high fps. I don't think that either FSX or P3D will ever be certified as professional training systems even because their fluidity can't be compared to that of the real simulators...

James Goggi

You have no idea because you have never tried a real flight simulator. Much of the realism and of the immersion factors are given by the fluidity and very high fps. I don't think that either FSX or P3D will ever be certified as professional training systems even because their fluidity can't be compared to that of the real simulators...

Please refrain from asserting things that are incorrect. Redbird Simulations (a common fixture in many modern flight schools) used Microsoft ESP for quite some time. Obviously, now they're all on Prepar3D.

http://www.redbirdflightsimulations.com/

You can log time in those, so, yes, Prepar3D can be certified for use in a professional training system, for loggable hours. In fact, AC 120-45A makes no mention of a performance benchmark for FPS (simulators aren't even required to have a visual system at all, actually - I have 1.0 hours logged on one).

If you'd like more information on certified sims, I'd suggest a conversation with Kevin Hall (kevinh) here.

You're welcome to continue on this misguided journey about FPS, but I'd politely suggest taking the information and digesting it a bit to come to an understanding of the facts of the situation rather than your own opinions.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for that, Kyle.

May I also add to the preposterous statement made that I have no idea of a real flight simulator that VRS will only sell their acclaimed F-18/E Superbug Hornet Prepar3D version to commercial users.

Interesting,

I lock out at 30fps but still get the scenery stutters when taking off and flying when looking sideways...but so many say they have smooth... results all the time.

I do wish LM and Nvidia would get together and sort out the half synch issue, I think this would make things a lot better.. 

Cheers

Try running the sim with unlimited frames. LM has advised against the frame rate limiter a couple of times. For most users unlimited frames lead to less stutters. My sim is especially smooth in two different situations:

1. When I can run at consistently more than 60 fps (on a 60 Hz monitor). Which only works with aircraft that have almost not fps hit (e.g. the A2A planes).

2. When selecting settings such that with unlimited frames the fps hover around 30 fps. That's exactly the situation I have with the PMDG 777.

Carlo Kraemer

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

When we set a fixed fps in the sim it starts to create look ahead frames, which effectively bring down the attainable fps. So you see 60fps displayed in game with Unlimited set, but when we try to lock at 40fps in the sim it shows 38 on the display - something like that. So there's an overhead to the in sim fixed fps, which can provide extra smoothness if it's set to an achievable value. We see the look ahead frame selection in NVidia CP, but not the fixed fps setting.

I don't understand why people want their sim at 100, 80 or even 40 fps. Your eyes can't ditinguish anything over 30 fps. So anything above that, kudos to you :)

Well I agree you don't need more than 30 fps locked in fsx or P3d. Your totaly wrong about your eyes distinguish over 30, try google 60 v 30 fps.

I think the fact that most people are misinformed about frame rates and what your eyes can perceive etc (I was in that category until not long ago myself) has led away from what I think jgoggi actually wanted to know, which as I interpreted it was whether P3D exerts a higher load on a system than FSX, and what effect that has on frame rates. That way it's just numbers and less open to intepretation. Correct me if I'm wrong jgoggi, but as I understood you were concerned that there could be some cognitive dissonance or placebo effect taking play with some reports you read of P3D? IMO it's not completely out of the question, but the only way to work that out is to see for yourself and make a judgement, or compare performance tests, which others have kindly provided.

My initial thought was to look at the minimum system requirements and they show that P3D requires an additional 1GB of RAM and 10 times the amount of Video RAM as FSX does so from that I would say P3D runs a fair bit heavier. But then with that you get cockpit shadows, cloud shadows, proper use of your Graphics Adapter's resources (so I've heard), and clouds that move with the wind. So then you have to work out if the performance trade off + cost of a new sim + addon compatibility(most of them are either working already or have free patches I believe) = worth it for your expectations. Personally I'm pretty set on switching from FSX to P3D in the next few weeks. The moving clouds alone were enough to convince me. If the performance is bad I'll just have to turn the sliders down and start saving for a new PC lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3vYbTDljEo