Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

Seeing annoying new ads on Avsim

Is anyone else seeing a vertical colum of moving/changing ads on the right side of the Avsim pages called HOT DEALS?  They cover about 1/4 width of the page on the right side.There is an arrow that you can click on and they move off to the right of the page, but then there is a left arrow that will bring them back in view. Each time you go to a different page in the forums, they appear again in full view. You have to click on the right arrow to get rid of them again. Very anoying. Or am I the only one seeing this? So far, I only see them on the Avsim site.

Never mind. I found a little box at the bottom of the colum with the gear sign and I clicked on it to reveal an OPt OUT box. It was then revealed to me that it was labled        " Enhanced Shopping Assistant". I must have picked it up in something I downloaded, but it was strange that it only appeared on the Avsim pages. It is gone now.

I don't see them and we have no title called Hot Deals.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You really have to be careful about installing software from the web, even from reputable sources.

Never click on the "typical" option,as some software has bundled  other applications inside the typical setup. if a notice about some unwanted software popups up, click "cancel" which should allow you proceed with the desired installation. Be aware there may be more than one unwanted program bundled. I've been caught out a few times and it takes a lot of work to remove some of this rubbish they add nowadays. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

get "ad bloc"  it's great, free and blocks all ads.  For you to see this and most of us don't....your pc is probably infected with a lot of malware/viruses.

Depending on your browser, I use three little utilities to keep ads at bay.

One is AdBlockPlus, the other is Greasemonkey,and the third is Ghostery. Greasemonkey stops all the Google-saturated ads, Ghostery blocks almost every ad

Yeh. Looks like it came with a supposeded update for Adobe Flash Player. I have now gotten rid of it. Strange that the only place I saw the ads was here on Avsim. Thanks for the advice.

Occasionally those updates will sneak something extra in on you.  I've had some adware junk appear before, but fortunately I use malawarebytes premium along with Microsoft Security Essentials to help nuke it.  A few months ago a popup started appearing at the worst time (I was in mid-flight) and crashing me out of the sim.  After a little sleuthing I gave it the boot for good.

Chris Sunseri

update for Adobe Flash Player

That's why the latest Firefox blocks it by default and one has to allow permissions for any site with embedded Adobe Flash Player, the bane of the Internet.

Oliver

It's a pity I do not have at hand the security software article that reviewed anti-virus and malware tools, because MalwareBytes free version did not come out too well. But your Avast as the best of freeware anti-virus software on test.

As I said awhile back, for a FS computer the internet is the root of all evil. Every once in awhile on my laptop (not the FS computer) I find some sort of crap like that has found it's way in. I find Win 8.1 to be particularly vulnerable.

It would be really helpful when someone has a public report like this to make, to provide a screen shot with the initial post. That way, fellow users can confirm immediately whether they  are seeing the same, instead of speculating over the cause and folks scratching their heads over what their systems may have aboard to be concerned about.

(...)

Oliver

It's a pity I do not have at hand the security software article that reviewed anti-virus and malware tools, because MalwareBytes free version did not come out too well. But your Avast as the best of freeware anti-virus software on test.

Thanks, Rick.

Avast! provides realtime protection even with the freeware version, Malwarebytes does not. So Avast! is my no. 1 24/7 protection right now, with MWB only doing the occasional extra scan.

Oliver

Will PM re:a mutual friend of ours later

Unfortunately I have also started gettting these "pop up Ads" sometimes with music. It is not only AVSIM but several other places as well.  Some of these suckers are full page with music  It may have piggy backed on a software I didn't read close enough when installing. I use Mozilla Firefox and sometimes IE.  Tried virus scan, some of the free software for removal and checked program removal but no go. I was wondering if I do a windows restore a few days back that would fix it. Or maybe reinstalling Firefox and IE.

I do get these random "Ads" on both IE and MF. Because of this mess I may have little or no hairl left if and when I can reslove this.

Thanks for any hlep.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________