Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

Seeing annoying new ads on Avsim

Just a follow up I think I have found the culprit causing all these" pop ups.  Three folders that were put in my program data folder this morning were the following new folders: SaVeerPro, savereon, and saveRon.  I noticed the ads have savepro associated with them.  Deleting thses folder did not fix the problem so I guess saveerPro is in the registry somewhere.  I am nervous with messing with thre registry since the last time I tried to change the registry I corrupted the OS and had to do a complete reinstall. 

I am assuming this is the problem.

Any comments are appreciated.  As you can tell I am not a computer guru

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Any comments are appreciated. As you can tell I am not a computer guru

I am not a Guru either Carl.  I did a search of the Internet for those three new folders and there is a way to disable those program - https://www.google.com/search?q=SaVeerPro%2C+savereon%2C+and+saveRon&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 .

I think all of the Browsers developers are finding more and more ways to get advertisers so they can all be multiZillionaires and play in the Bahamas during the winter.  I find them all quite offensive and looking for more and more ways to figure out how to get rid of them on the websites I visit.  I use Firefox mostly and they do have an options page where you can look at their addons but it appears they do not like you messing with any adaware stuff.

Still, I would definitely stay away from the Registry as that won't help.  You can delete an item now (if you were a computer guru) and 30 seconds later the makers of the adaware programs would sniff you out and reinstall the offending stuff.  You see, you cannot defeat any of the advertisers.  They survive by our stupidity and for being naive.  If you can identify the exact name of the program that is advertising on your computer without your permission, try running a search on Google or Bing with a statement like "how do I get rid of adaware" or "how do i stop advertisers from placing ads in my browser!!!"  (The three exclamation points are important and shows you mean business...).  Good luck!

Best regards,

I just did what I recommended above and here's one suggestion - http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Pop-Ups.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim, thanks for the info.

I think I got it fixed using Firefox.  I went to Firefox Menu button. 2. Help Menu (?).  3. From the help menu choose Toubleshooting Information. 3. In Trouble shooting page click "Reset Firefox". 4. Click on the "Reset Firefox" button in the new confirmation window that opens. Fireforx will then revert back to default settings.  So far so good at AVSIM.  Will see if resetting IE will also do the trick.

I hope I learned my lesson the last time I tried to mess with the registry.  It took several days to get windows 7 reinstalled and all the FSX.  In fact I decided to go with steam fsx this time.  Real easy install compared to the FSX disks.

Regards,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Carl,

One of the best filters that I have found for Firefox is "Ghostery".  It does a great job of blocking unwanted processes.  It is a free add-on for Firefox and can be found at www.ghostery.com .  You can select which processes you want to stop when you visit a page and the program will remember that process and block it at every site, unless you choose to unblock.

It is simple to install and use, and it works great.

Carl, you can also try adwcleaner (freeware tool; make sure to download from their official site only). It scans the registry, IE, Firefox, Chrome and some more places.

Oliver  This morning I tried other tricks but nothing would get rid of wowCoupons in IE. Then I downloaded adwcleaner it worked perfectely. It cleaned out SaveePro and wowCoupon.  Now IE and Firefox are clear of those ads. 

Carl,

One of the best filters that I have found for Firefox is "Ghostery".  It does a great job of blocking unwanted processes.  It is a free add-on for Firefox and can be found at www.ghostery.com .  You can select which processes you want to stop when you visit a page and the program will remember that process and block it at every site, unless you choose to unblock.

It is simple to install and use, and it works great.

Thanks for the heads up.  I will go ahead and download "Ghostey" just to be prepared for the next mistake I might make in downloading free stuff.

I gotta say you guys really bailed me out - from going bald.

It is great to know that AVsim has so many folks out there with a lot  of Knowledge and wisdom to hlep others in need.

Carl