Sign in to follow this  
bluepoole

Problem with landing lights - AI aircraft

I sincerely hope somebody would be able to help me.

I have a problem with the landing lights on my AI aircraft. Instead of seeing a ball of light in its correct place on the model, there are two balls of light - one above the wing and one below it. The one below the wing also has a weaker intensity.

I never used to have this problem, but one it suddenly appeared and now I can't fix it. I suspect some add-on caused this. I went into the aircraft.cfg files of my AI aircraft, to see what effects files they use for lights, and then went and replaced all of those files with a program called "GaugeRecovery" but it didn't solve the problem.

Anybody perhaps know how to fix this? I could post a pic of the problem.

Further details: I am using FSX Gold Edition on Win7 64, the AI aircraft is all "World of AI", and I do have most popular add-ons installed (Carenado, Alabeo, PMDG, A2A etc)

The gauge recovery program won't replace any effects files, instead it will fix any that are corrupted

and maybe replace any that are missing.  Post a screenshot of your situation.  Is the problem

with any and all AI aircraft?

Just so you don't feel like "The Lone Stranger"  Hiyo, Silver, Away!

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/76602-ai-landing-lights-weirdly-above-aircraft-with-echoes-below/

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I solved my problem, posting the solution here for the benefit of others:

The culprit was a modified "halo.bmp" file (its location is in the "texture" folder in your FSX root). I installed a default copy of this file and my lights are normal again!

It was obviously modified by some add-on.

Yup. That file is used for all sorts of stuff, including runway lights. The double light effect you were seeing was probably a ground reflection that someone added.

Glad you got it fixed.

Where do you find a default copy of the halo file? I also have been seeing the glowing ball light on aircrafts. 

The default halo.bmp file does (IMO) create landing light FX on AI a/c that are much too big. If you search around you will find several solutions to this. Or if you PM me with your email id, I can send you a selection of modified halo.bmps, including the one that I use.

I also want to explore using modified halo.bmp files, because I also dislike the "huge ball of light" effect it creates with AI traffic.

I can also post the link to the site where I got a copy of the default halo.bmp if anyone is interested? It is part of a modified halo.bmp package, they included the default one in there.

Where do you find a default copy of the halo file? I also have been seeing the glowing ball light on aircrafts. 

In your backed up copy of FSX after installation and updates!