Sign in to follow this  
Nduru

Really bad antialising in p3d 2.5v

Thank you Steve...I will try your settings

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Thanks for all the stuff you guys have been putting in, I've managed to get some thing reasonable with 4 and 4 as Steve says, no FR limit and usual in game settings - though some don't seem to make difference.  Shimmers seem reduced - guess I could try upping the MSAA and SGSSAA and play around.  I'm using 2x670, not SLI with main 2560x1440 on one card and 2 smaller monitorsfor other apps, maps, pop ups and what not on the other.

I don't mind the odd small jaggies too much, but what helps there - that is things like fences and railings.  The one thing that bugs me is verticals like poles and masts.  These shimmer like a barbers pole, visible right across the airfield sometimes.  what should I tweak for that for example.

thanks for any help

Try 8xSG, but there's not much to play with. Unfortunately less options in DX10 FSX, and DX11 P3D, than we were provided for DX9.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for all the stuff you guys have been putting in, I've managed to get some thing reasonable with 4 and 4 as Steve says, no FR limit

That last quote in bold is actually rather important. I appreciate that setting a framerate limit in P3D (or FSX for that matter) is supposed to help the sim run more smoothly, but you would be surprised at just how much of a difference this makes to framerates.

As an example, I had my framerate limited to 25fps in P3D v2.4. However, I remembered that beta testing with an airport addon had indicated that there was a big difference in framerates with this set to Unlimited. That being the case, I decided to load ES Guernsey (a particularly heavy framerate hitter on my PC at maximum detail levels), and check out the difference. To my surprise, the framerates with the limiter set to Unlimited were a whopping 50 per cent higher! In addition, there didn't seem to be any drastic difference in smoothness when compared to the experience with the framerate limited to 25fps (although further testing will be necessary to confirm this).

Frankly, the vast difference in performance is too high to ignore.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

When we set a fixed fps in the sim it starts to create look ahead frames, which effectively bring down the attainable fps. So you see 60fps displayed in game with Unlimited set, but when we try to lock at 40fps in the sim it shows 38 on the display - something like that. So there's an overhead to the in sim fixed fps, which can provide extra smoothness if it's set to an achievable value. We see the look ahead frame selection in NVidia CP, but not the fixed fps setting.

The fixed fps setting in NVidia NI tries to pull in the frame rate we set the card to in NI. That also means if we choose the partial vsync settings. Say we have a 60Hz monitor, and we choose 1/2 vsync, the card tries to limit the sim to 30fps. If we switch to windowed mode the sim goes to the in-sim fixed fps setting since the partial vsync modes 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 only work in fullscreen game mode. Be sure to turn those off if testing with the Unlimited setting in fullscreen game mode.

Yes, that's correct, I mention the full screen game mode vsync situation in the discussion generally because a lot of people think the same when they run FSX. P3D is always in windowed mode and the NI vsync values do not apply.

...Copy and paste, then not editing properly leads to those sort of gaffes. The point making was to set the sim fps limiter to the same value as the card for the smoothest results overall. But we have to take a hit for the look ahead buffer. And to check the fps limit is not set on the card with NI in any way when using the Unlimited setting in the sim.

Steve thanks for the help, my sim is looking better but not good as fsx in terms of antialising, p3d and nvidia need to work togther so we can Ovveride p3d with nvidia settings

Have you tried incorporating 2x DSR? That might give it the smoothness you are looking for.

I went back to 344.11 and everything has improved (GTX 980).

Yes, there are some problems depending on driver, some don't work properly with SSAA on P3D.

Steve where can that be done and can use it with nvidia inspector?

Set up in the NVidia CP to provide 2x DSR, then in the sim you should see the extra high resolution, choose that. Back in the sim - do "ALT+ENTER" twice to allow the system to set it up.

Just to add: You must set up DSR in the Nvidia CP under "Global settings". There is no game-specific DSR entry.

Kind regards,

Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks for the help guys but what do you mean "then in the sim you should see the extra high resolution, choose that" by choose that?