Sign in to follow this  
minimums retard

If this happens again I'll probably take to my PC with an axe

So I was on an ok short final for 19L at KSFO, then all of a sudden and unseen hand pushes me into the dirt just before the runway. I'm guessing it's an issue with the bgls, AFCAD or elevation because it was just as i crossed over onto the reclaimed land. I have FTX NCA installed but I never went to vanilla KSFO on this install, and I also have ASN installed so I also thought it could be some sort of wind shear bug, doesn't seem likely though, especially given how mild the weather was.

I've never had anything like this happen before, usually the bugs and errors Ive come across have been more logical. Here is a video of it, excuse the low frames, that's just the recording, forgot to lower the quality on dxtory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLfjkB_hQsk

Any ideas would be appreciated, couldn't find anything related via google searches, in the meantime I'll be looking into it further.

That was a quite fast approach to the short finals.

Yes it was a heavy load and somewhat unexpected tailwinds for most of the flight meant I had a fair bit more than my planned reserve. That approach was Vref +5. Was looking great until the glitch. It looks a bit faster in the video because of the low frames as well.

Any ideas on what could cause the glitch? You noticed the glitch right?

I've had this happen to me in the PMDG 747 and MD-11,  from what I can tell it has happened at runways that are near the water, or 'island' runways ie SFO, Nagasaki, Tokyo Haneda...etc, this seems to be some sort of elevation glitch or something.  This only happend when I was attempting to really nail the landing on the numbers to about the aiming markers, if I aimed farther down the runway (aming markets - mid field), the glitch didn't happen.  I remember the glitch happening both with ILS/autoland and handflying visual landings.  This only happned with large PMDG aircraft, no problem with small GA types.

Cheers

TJ

Thanks pilottj, I just did some testing myself and can confirm that no matter what load your are at or what the the weather is with the PMDG 744 if you even slightly low on the ILS you will get slammed into the ground at least at KSFO 19L and probably all other runways that extend into water. What a pain, looks like I won't be flying the 744 to KSFO ever again. Or those other airports ever. And just when I thought my sim was running completely fine.

No solution yet, but I just found this http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?279137-Runways-Near-Water-Cause-Issues, bit of a dead end though. At least we know the issue is runways near water and PMDG though. Probably most likely just a PMDG issue given it doesn't affect default planes.

Might have been worth doing a fuel dump.

I was under the impression planes usually only dumped fuel if they are over MLW? Wouldn't that be a big waste of money, especially in this age of efficiency and with a dated bird like the 744? (The flight costs in FsPax would also have increased, as it charges your company for fuel based on consumption, a little unrealistic but then again can't expect too much from old FsP)

Real world landings at KSNA 20R are like that because of the parking structure across from the freeway. On approach you get this sudden updraft and you have to push it down to make the threshold, most pilots make hard very few grease it. With only 5000ft you don't have much time to stop.

@Capt Speirs Interesting, I'll have to try that one, see if ASN models it. This isn't like that though, and not realistic at all, you get slammed DOWN onto the ground, VS goes to 3 times or more what it was instantaneously.

I've since been searching with more relevant keywords and found that in fact there are many many threads on this issue, however all too specific in their titles for me to find them easily. I have read that it is a mesh issue and will be testing that shortly, here is the thread

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/436700-pmdg-777-ksfo-28l-threshhold-problem/

I had the happen going in to padq kodiak in a pmdg md-11.lol

Regards Ted Kiser

I had this before at KSFO (on the 28's). I'm sure there is a solution somewhere that it has to do with the Mesh resolution. I can't remember where I found the solution, I'll see if I can locate it for you.

EDIT: I may have found it...

Try this setting the mesh resolution what poster in post #9 has used here.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

It's not just PMDG aircraft that get this. I get this landing at KSFO in the A2A B377. It seems to happen whenever I make a shallow approach but when it is steeper it doesn't happen.

I just stopped flying to KSFO!

Stuart Furley

It´s the same at LFMN, if you´re a little low the plain just slams onto the runway. There´s a thread about it at the aerosoft forums. People over there say all airports that have their runway thresholds close to the sea are prone to this problem, especially when there is a mesh addon involved. Lowering the mesh resolution one step at a time might help.   

LABOX4.jpg

Thanks Jaime! That was the thread I eventually found, lowering mesh res to 19m appears to work (or flying a high approach, but i like to hit the TDZ). Kind of makes mesh addons useless though lol but ah well. Does anyone know if this issue persists in P3D?

Also, just realised the title i gave this thread is fairly useless haha, if somebody could please change it to something more relevant. Sorry.