Sign in to follow this  
BobG

Auto Brake setting

In the sim, flying the in house 737,I always set the auto brake to max when landing on short runways,& use RTO setting on takeoff, does it actually increase braking in the sim? FSX

BobG

I use AB2 for any Rwy over 7500 and AB3 for anything under 7500. I use manuals braking instead of AB1, I rarely need to use max AB, even if I'm heavy, I reserve AB max for emergencys. Here are the deceleration rates for the Autobrakes,

AB1 4 ft/sec

AB2 5 ft/sec

AB3 7 ft/sec

ABmax 14 ft/sec above 80 knots, 12 under 80 knots.

Also max Autobrake doesn't give you full braking, applying full manual braking will wive you the greatest deceleration rate. And I do not believe the default 737 doesn't accurately model the deceleration rates.

Thanks 738 FLY,

Thanks for the info,so the sim does apply the settings,dont think it can make allowances for wet or icy snow covered  runways tho??,but good to know I am not wasting my time setting it,will count on reversers anyway & glad I don't have to pay for the brake linings using max AB?

Thanks again BobG

As for wet and snowy runways, Siri it should increase the landing distance, i'm not sure if it is accurately simulated in the Sim. I usually choose to leave autobrake off and go for a light manual breaking and full reverse thrust in those conditions, but if you do use ABs, id probably be better to use 2 to prevent hydroplaning or sliding. Also the thing to know about reverse thrust is the slower you were going to less effective it will be. I usually have my reverse thrust down to idle by 80kts and also disengaged auto brakes 80kts and go for manual breaking.