Sign in to follow this  
fsxnate

The Prepar3d PMDG 777 is a MUST OWN

FPS in P3D are non relevant. They will deceive you in almost every possible way. You could be at 9 fps and still have the quality of 30 fps on FSX. In other words, don't compare sims and its software by measuring FPS because there will be a difference. The important thing is that it works. P3D is designed to use hardware that FSX would never handle. Additionally it uses DX11 technology.

I agree with you that there is no point to compare systems at or higher than 20FPS with systems that are running with higher FPS numbers (e.g. 30 or 40FPS), since the human eye processes around 24 FPS and not more.

However, to say that a P3D simulator running at 9FPS is as fluid as a FSX simulator at 30FPS is just neglecting Physics and if you really experience and compare both scenaries in reality (I personally doubt you did), you will agree. A FPS below 15FPS for sure is more like a slide show no matter whether in P3D or in FSX...

PS: I personally moved back to FSX today after more than one week adjusting P3D settings downwards to the lowest possible levels and still flying with 10+FPS the B777 at busy airports which was not a favourable experience at all.

At the same time, I have around 20FPS with FSX at the same airports and with reasonable settings.

I know it is the fault of my system that only has an older Nvidia550 2GB DX11 graphics card, 8MB RAM and a slower i7 Quad processor and I don`t blame PMDG or P3D or anyone else. I just wanted to share that you do not have a better performance by default by just moving to P3D. You also really need to have up to date hardware to take advantage of the P3D technology...

Kind regards,

Tilo

I know it is the fault of my system that only has an older Nvidia550 2GB DX11 graphics card, 8MB RAM and a slower i7 Quad processor

DX11 with that card ? well, maybe... but

8 MB RAM is an incredible TINY amount

Even 8G RAM is little

No wonder you like FSX better

I bought 777 for P3D the other day (I do not have for FSX). It is really fantastic!

Personally, I really like that they have implemented so many different kinds of sounds which gives me  the feeling of "being there" greately.   

yes also thanks, but after 10 years of flightsim i know what fps does, and 9 does not eat the cake. I have track IR.

Exactly.  This is what drives me bonkers about these people who love to 'violently agree' that FPS just doesn't matter in P3D.   It's a huge exaggeration.   9 FPS lol... And as you rightly said, Frames are important when you use TrackIR because TIR movement (and it's smoothness, or lack of) is entirely related to FPS.

If your view is primarily static (eg non-TIR user) then obviously frames will be less perceptible in flight.    Still I wonder how many more times today I'll read in posts that "frame rates make no difference in P3D!!!".  :wink:

DX11 with that card ? well, maybe... but
8 MB RAM is an incredible TINY amount
Even 8G RAM is little

No wonder you like FSX better

Are you always that facetious?

Nice to know you are happy with P3D but IMO it is too similar to FSX to justify the purchase of P3D, above all considering that not all the addons are granted to be 100% compatible with P3D

Told that, the only hope is Dovetail will produce an own good flight simulator but as far as I know the project has been aborted cause Dovetail can't master the logic of a flight simulator with the knowledge of a train simulator, at least in the upcoming 5 years.

Told also that, we are happy that PMDG is still surfing the wave, otherwise we would be in a very ancient and dark atmosphere.

Maybe Quality Wing 787 will be a decent model, who knows, they are developing it since lot of years that a flop would be a real shame indeed 

Unless there will be a pure 64bits flight simulation based on Dx12 we will be using FSX and P3D, software 10 years old so far.... :(

FPS is dependent on so many variables that it is hard to compare across different systems, settings, and addons.  Like one of the previous posters, I have several settings profiles that I load on the start screen depending on the aircraft I will be flying (GA, 777, Airbus, etc.).  It's very easy to load a profile on the start screen before loading P3D.  For the 777 I use default scenery sliders but since I have a GTX 980 I can bump up the graphical sliders one to two notches and still average 30 FPS in the 777 virtual cockpit.  High demanding scenery areas will drop the frames down to 24 but rarely under that value.  In cruise I typically get between 30 and 36.  Given the complexity of the aircraft I am an thoroughly impressed with these FPS numbers and the smoothness of the sim and wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

Ryan

Does this work with P3D-2.5?

I am poorly familiar with P3D, all I heard is a new version 2.5 has improvements is VAS and thus I began considering it.

777 is released for P3D-2.4, is it installable into 2.5?

Hi all,

anyone who reads this forum and has Prepar3d but does not have the Triple 7 is missing out.  Honestly, if your a big jet kinda guy the Prepar3d Triple 7 from PMDG is hands down THE BEST aircraft I've ever flown in my simulator.  It is simply smooth, reacts quickly and realistically (functions and navigation in the VC), flies like a dream.  I expected high quality since it has PMDG stamped on it but this blows away my FSX PMDG 737, MD 11 all day, and any other add on for that matter.  Thank you for this wonderful aircraft and please anyone just buy it, you cannot go wrong.

No thanks. I might spend the $100+ when P3D goes 64-bit and I see it available for it. It's working just fine in FSX - - no need to dump a bunch of money for the same product in P3D. Oh, and yes, I know they "said" if you purchase it now that it will also include a free update for the 64-bit version, however that's too far off for me to believe it.

Is 777 being the only PMDG aircraft going to be available for P3D?

I'm curious, P3D is obviously the future but are people willing to part with MD-11?

(I assume the 737 will be released for P3D, perhaps even a J-41, but MD-11 unlikely)

I agree with you that there is no point to compare systems at or higher than 20FPS with systems that are running with higher FPS numbers (e.g. 30 or 40FPS), since the human eye processes around 24 FPS and not more.

I wish this myth would go away as it's not true at all.  Human eyes can most certainly process much higher than 24 FPS.  You can easily see the difference between a 24 fps scene and a 30 fps scene when it's in motion.  Youtube now offers 60fps content videos and yes you can tell the difference between the 60fps and the 30fps rendered videos.  Even movies are starting to be offered in 48 fps. (which was quite jarring to me when i saw the Hobbit in 48 fps...it felt like i was watching real life and broke that "cinematic" feeling for me....huge difference to the 24fps version)

It's up to the individual person to decide what works best for them.  For me if I"m not using trackir I can fly with 20 fps and not care as long as it's smooth.  But if I"m using trackir for me i prefer something above 30.  below 30 and it does break immersion for me.

Told that, the only hope is Dovetail will produce an own good flight simulator but as far as I know the project has been aborted cause Dovetail can't master the logic of a flight simulator with the knowledge of a train simulator, at least in the upcoming 5 years.

Hi Mark, Dovetail are still working on NEW flightsim, only last week It was mentioned to me by one of the dovetail staff. I was not given any details at all about it but just told work is on going.

We are at a crazy cross road with flightsiming, we have various platforms to choose and more on the way with P3D 64Bit. I am happy with FSX with DX10 fixer, I can use all my good old addons and enjoy cockpit shadows.

If money was not an issue I would love to try P3D and Xplane.

Hi sebyh,

this is what I know, so we can compare infos :)

Dovetail regarding Flight Simulation has focused on :

1) environment i.e. like trees, water, sky, clouds, persons, bridges etc. using Unreal Engine 4 ( perhaps 32 bit compatible within DX11 )  :unsure:

2) 3d modelling of external and internal stuff

but Dovetail has recognized to be dramatically not able to master :

1) ILS, VOR, ADF, RNAV, SID and STARS etc.

2) they also seem to have absolutely no clue on how to implement a working ATC other than trying to " reproduce " FSX's lame one

So, considering producing arcade flight games is not a rewarding path ( i.e. MS Flight... ) Dovetail decided to drop the Flight Simulation path in favor of Fishing games and Rail Simulator series, they are far more easy to master, they already have a decent amount of knowledge and that's the best way to stay within their budget.

Dovetail is a " small " company and it definitely cannot afford to rent for several months senior consultants experts of Flight Simulation ( AKA as real Boeing/Bus pilots ) , real ATC senior advisors and enigineers experts of professional flight ( to master ILS, VOR, ADF, RNAV, SID and STARS etc ) therefore now Dovetail is deciding if : 

1) go on producing an arcade game like MS Flight to minimize the loss of the purchase of the rights to distribute FSX SE

2) completely drop the project and focus on easy games like Fishing Games ( where few real retired man and fishmen can deploy for free suggestions on how to properly fish tunas or trouts ) 

We are lucky PMDG is active, it gives us lot of " PROFESSIONAL " fun !!  B)

If only PMDG would produce a Flight Simulator........pure 64 bits.....we would have the most sophisticated piece of software ever seen in the simulation field

Exactly.  This is what drives me bonkers about these people who love to 'violently agree' that FPS just doesn't matter in P3D.   It's a huge exaggeration.   9 FPS lol... And as you rightly said, Frames are important when you use TrackIR because TIR movement (and it's smoothness, or lack of) is entirely related to FPS.

Well Said Craig. 30 fps (locked) for me is the sweet spot in both sim's. 

The PMDG being a "Must own" yer it is even if I don't like paying the same price again.

Its currently imo the pinnacle of what we can get in FSX/P3D, but having said that, the NGX has that lived in/work horse feel. The VC in the NGX is a bit rough in placers unlike the 777.

Fight simming to me = PMDG 777-NGX, am waiting for the 747v2. 

I will buy the FSLabs Airbus when it comes out for P3D just hope am still alive at this rate...makes PMDG "soon" feel like "coming out in the next few days".

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I have P3D 2.5, yet despite giving me a high FPS, I have stutters on my system.  Having spent the money already on the FSX PMDG 777 and giving the subpar performance of P3D 2.5, I am not eager to spend more to stay in one place.  I am sure P3D is wonderful for others, so good for them, just not for me.  I wish that PMDG has a Flight 1 refund policy, but forking out nearly 100 bucks to try is too much.  Right now my best performer sim is FSX-SE, no stutters no OOM. 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020