Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

One engine taxi?

Done a lot of flying the last couple weeks however, none was on a 737 NG so I won't know if this procedure applies? Is it not a common practice to taxi on one engine during long taxi in the 737 aand startup once close to departure, or is this only a procedure with other aircraft? I would think it would save quite a bit of fuel at airports like ORD and ATL during long taxi and lines.

Well, I guess it comes down to Airline SOP...... but usually yes - is common practice, at least with some Airlines I've flown with......

regards

Is this procedure able to be used with fs2crew properly? Or am I going to have issues during checklists if only one engine start is initiated

Is this procedure able to be used with fs2crew properly? Or am I going to have issues during checklists if only one engine start is initiated

Don't know if fs2crew supports it, but more importantly FSX doesn't really support it. Even with full opposite rudder you likely won't be able to taxi straight, and forget about turning against the running engine.

Steve Caffey

I wouldn't try... that asymmetrical thrust is difficult if you're not used to it.  Some aircraft will refuse to turn into the live engine with any thrust at all.  Even the prop twin I fly won't do it, one has to get some momentum going before the turn and then pull power back and coast through the turn... not recommended for normal procedures.  I is easier to fly on one engine than it is to taxi LOL.

Dan Downs KCRP

You can use FS2crew, but you'll have to start the second engine on your own. Also I've done one engine taxis befor if I know the taxi will take a while, also I don't find it hard to taxi, except when you need to turn in whatever direction the running engine is on, So if you have the number one engine running, it will be slightly harder to turn left and vice versa. I also tend to shut off one engine before entering the ramp area, Typically the number two engine seeming how the groundcrew connects the GPU on that side. I've also Heard that Southwest has recently gone to 1 engine and taxis, but that is unconfirmed, and I know United uses one engine taxis in there A320 and 319s sometimes, i've seen them having to wait about two minutes before taking off at the end of the runway at PDX (not sure if they use that same procedure for the 737s.

Is it due to unrealistic physics in FSX or will a cfg edit fix the uncontrollable turning

We are authorized to taxi single engine but hardly anybody does.  It takes a lot of power to get the airplane moving on one engine and the jet blast can cause problems in the ramp area.  When we know we will have a long taxi and will want to shut one down it's normal to start both engines for taxi and then shut one down once we have gotten away from the gate area.

I did them a bit when SFO had 1L and 1R under construction, but I haven't done them in a while. You gain a bit of fuel, but the FO goes out of the loop for a while to do the checklist. If it was done more often, I think we could do it safely, but it's done infrequently enough that it's not easily accomplished.

Matt Cee

I wouldn't think the fuel savings would offset the engine cycle costs.... each cycle cost money, right?

Dan Downs KCRP

You're not getting more cycles, are you? You're just running the APU a bit longer. We don't pay by the cycles on the APU anymore, anyway. It's just gallons of fuel now.

Matt Cee

Is it due to unrealistic physics in FSX or will a cfg edit fix the uncontrollable turning

if you have FSUIPC installed you could try their dynamicfriction.lua fix....... you will find it in your FSUIPC Documents folder under example LUA plugins.....

regards

Would you really save fuel? Because you having to use more power to get rolling and maintain speed (but that might be fsx) to The point where taxting with one engine would equal the same amount of thrust as texting with two engines, So would you really save that much fuel?

Would you really save fuel? Because you having to use more power to get rolling and maintain speed (but that might be fsx) to The point where taxting with one engine would equal the same amount of thrust as texting with two engines, So would you really save that much fuel?

I don't know how much it would save, but enough that my company provides a chart for busy airports that gives us suggested times of day to use SE taxi.

Matt Cee

On more than one occasion it's been the difference between departing and returning to the gate for fuel.  We don't do it often but on those days with bad delays it's beneficial.