Sign in to follow this  
walterg74

Just entered Flight Sim World, with FSX and have doubts: FSX or Prepar3d? No trolling, honest!

Further advice - try the FSX basic 737 for a few hours.. Multiply the quality and experience say three fold. Watch a few YouTube videos of Froogle in NGX - then you'll know if you want PMDG 737 NGX!

If you are learning to fly, it is good to remember that all those airline captains learned to fly in little single engine airplanes  -_-

Bert

Intel i7 4790K @4Ghz - No overclock yet but fine with trying it

Asus Maximus Hero VII Z97 Motherboard

16GB RAM (G.skill Trident X 2400)

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 x 2 in crosfire

Samsung Pro Evo 250GB SSD (Win 8.1 pro)

Seagate Spinpoint 3TB 7200 RPM HDD

Triple 23" IPS monitors (though I've been playing around with both triple and single screen modes)

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke + Throttle

Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Peddals

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

TrackIR 5

Thanks for your input!

I'd tell anyone P3D all the way at this point in FS's history.  Your current setup is perfect for it.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

If I absolutely had the chose, or recommend, only one sim it would be Prepar3D. I currently have P3Dv2.5, FSX-Steam Edition, and Aerofly installed, along with the XPX demo, and I fire them all up, but the one I use most (and by that I mean 85% at a guess) is P3D. For me it the most rounded of the platforms, and without doubt visually the best.. I know XPX can look great if you mess with the art controls, but with Orbx Global & Regions, combined with REX, along with the shadows and volumetric fog its P3D FTW. P3D's continued development, though causing some issues of its own, also means the platform is evolving and getting better all the time; obviously this is not the case with FSX, even with some of the tinkering with FSX-SE.

I use FSX-SE for some photoscenery + FTXGlobal and P3D for just Orbx, so realistically I would say, why limit yourself to one platform? storage is cheap, and having multiple sims does not affect having one core platform.

But FSX, for all its weaknesses, is stable, and once installed on powerful, modern hardware, is a "set and forget" affair.

If I wanted to learn "to fly", I would get Orbx Northern California and the a2a Cherokee, and take flight lessons out of Redding or Santa Rosa.   That would keep me busy for quite some time!  Maybe add multiplayer flight at Digital Themepark, just to have some likeminded individuals to talk to and fly with B)

Right, the thing is I guess about learning the "set" part without it crashing on me :)

Good suggestions, I will keep in mind, thanks! Out of ignorance: any reason you recommend the cherokee over one of the cessnas?

I may be wrong but the 20% off boxed products will be FSX. So you spend 80% and when you decide to go P3d you've wasted that money AND have to pay full price $140? for 777 and probably similar for 777 NGX in a few months / years when you go to P3d.

Again I may be wrong but if you read PMDG's product update posting just yesterday in the PMDG General forum there seem to be delays or problems updating DVD versions I.e boxed sets.

Well I didn't look at the whole selection, but I think that just the case of PMDG. Some of the other ones I looked at were both FSX and P3D as well. I think that's the point, that dor now I least what I get is dual platform.

Further advice - try the FSX basic 737 for a few hours.. Multiply the quality and experience say three fold. Watch a few YouTube videos of Froogle in NGX - then you'll know if you want PMDG 737 NGX!

Dean

Oh, I believe you, and I know the PMDG is like 10000 times better than default. I know it's awesome. What I'm saying is not knowing how to fly, it will probably just sit there untill I have more experience. But still, like I said before, maybe it's good to get it now anyway with a discount on top of the current price before price goes up. I will look into what you say about updates though, don't recall seeing that on the site but I will double check.

Good suggestions, I will keep in mind, thanks! Out of ignorance: any reason you recommend the cherokee over one of the cessnas?

The Cherokee handles better and has way more personality..  a2a's best trainer.

Bert

If I absolutely had the chose, or recommend, only one sim it would be Prepar3D. I currently have P3Dv2.5, FSX-Steam Edition, and Aerofly installed, along with the XPX demo, and I fire them all up, but the one I use most (and by that I mean 85% at a guess) is P3D. For me it the most rounded of the platforms, and without doubt visually the best.. I know XPX can look great if you mess with the art controls, but with Orbx Global & Regions, combined with REX, along with the shadows and volumetric fog its P3D FTW. P3D's continued development, though causing some issues of its own, also means the platform is evolving and getting better all the time; obviously this is not the case with FSX, even with some of the tinkering with FSX-SE.

I use FSX-SE for some photoscenery + FTXGlobal and P3D for just Orbx, so realistically I would say, why limit yourself to one platform? storage is cheap, and having multiple sims does not affect having one core platform.

Hmmm that's true too. I mean, even if deciding for P3D, I would have to buy it, and the others I already do. So nothing stops me from having the 2/3 and just making the best out of each (including since I'd like to have both) a photo scenery setup and layered scenery setup...

The Cherokee handles better and has way more personality.. a2a's best trainer.

Allrighty, guess I will take a closer look and reconsider :). I take it the trainer part, accu-sim, etc. is the same as the other two?

Allrighty, guess I will take a closer look and reconsider :). I take it the trainer part, accu-sim, etc. is the same as the other two?

Yup, once you've got the Cherokee under your belt, the C182 is the next step up, and then a nice twin... like a RealAir Duke, or a fast single, like a Lancair.

Bert

Yup, once you've got the Cherokee under your belt, the C182 is the next step up, and then a nice twin... like a RealAir Duke, or a fast single, like a Lancair.

For a twin with 0 experience, just liking it, I really like the look of the Baron 58. So was considering the carenado one or the milviz 55, but again, that just looks, no knowledge of the plane itself. Yet :)

For a twin with 0 experience, just liking it, I really like the look of the Baron 58. So was considering the carenado one or the milviz 55, but again, that just looks, no knowledge of the plane itself. Yet :)

Lots of nice twins, but the RealAir Dukes V2 are in a class by themselves...  as is the Lancair IMHO.

Carenado's best small twin is the C337.

This all comes later... first learn to fly  :rolleyes:

Bert

I agree about the A2A aircraft.

I have said before, elsewhere, that we all know that FSX is about 9 years old now, with no core development since then. FSX:Steam - modded to work with Steam multiplayer and seems to be a plug n play sim from one of the largest gaming distributors. P3D has been upgraded/modded about 11 times now.

So, it should be a no-brainer as to which game or sim to choose.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Robin, have you tried NMG Trading products for South African Airports? I think I have installed every major airport they have to offer..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Hi Peter, I've tried most & I know Nico quite well. However, i use Aeroworx freeware myself, and at our club, Cape Virtual, as well as the Young Falcons.

I've combined that with scenery from the Trieng guys as well. I've made up a library of sorts for easy installs.

Come and visit us at Ysterplaat on a Saturday sometime?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

ok.....i'm in Tableview....not far

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

This all comes later... first learn to fly :rolleyes:

Yes, this is so very true. That why I had created another thread asking about sales and how to control the impulse to buy :P

Oh, something else just occured to me.. Those that say to stick with FSX. Are you using "good 'ol" DX9, or do you have it tweaked/tuned for DX10..?