Sign in to follow this  
rdtv91

Making the switch to Prepar3d from FSX

Hi Folks,

Finally decided to make the switch to PREPAR3D from FSX, albeit will run both alongside for a bit for my own sanity after the amount of work put into my FSX I'm not 100000% ready to pull the plug yet.

However lets see if I can dip my toes into P3D and see if I get pulled in.... what's the current thinking/ recommendation for running both alongside in re: ORBX, Active Sky, REX etc.

Also what's the best current tweak/ config/ nvidia settings that someone can point me towards (I'm on an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.7 & GTX970)

Cheers Guys ! :)

Welcome to the forum redv91.

It may come as a surprise that your question is not unique.  A perusal and/or search of this forum will provide all the answers you seek. Or is that too much trouble?

There seriously needs to be a sticky containing some kind of conversion FAQ as I'm sure there will be an avalanche of questions like these in the coming weeks, especially when NGX comes out for P3D.

To the OP, I only just made the switch this week, I'm still in the process as a matter of fact so like you, I myself still struggle with getting a grip on a few things. As far as I know all of the addons you've asked about are working just fine alongside each other as they are all using P3D specific installers.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Hi RDTV, and welcome.

I just finished saving my settings (which are modified from Rob's) before reinstalling 2.5 - you could try using these as a starting point:

Settings-graphics.jpg

Settings-scenery.jpg

Settings-lighting.jpg

Settings-weather.jpg

Settings-traffic.jpg

I don't use Nvidia Inspector, but do use 2X DSR for AA (through the NV control panel):

3dsettings1.jpg

3dsettings2.jpg

As for tweaks, the only ones I use in my P3D.cfg are:

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

and TML in combination (you can remove this or try a lower multiple of 3 if it causes stutters):

[Display]
TextureMaxLoad=30

Post back on how these work out for you...

I just finished saving my settings (which are modified from Rob's) before reinstalling 2.5 - you could try using these as a starting point:

Good add Dylan....but I'd Add, for context, you have an I7 980 / GTX630 Combo

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Argh. Forgot to update my profile Chas :lol:...I'm actually running a "temporary" build with borrowed parts using an i7 4770K and a GTX 680 (after my X58 MB finally kicked the bucket...), so anyone with a decent rig should hopefully be able to scale up from these.

Also, the settings are biased towards ORBX autogen and REX soft clouds (used in conjunction with OPUS), while still including some AI and ship/road traffic. I think Jim posted some good settings for photoscenery in another thread.

That was uncalled for hot shot.

No, it was not. A search would have delivered results much quicker than a shot-in-the-dark hoping that somebody will provide the answers.

Hi Folks,

Finally decided to make the switch to PREPAR3D from FSX, albeit will run both alongside for a bit for my own sanity after the amount of work put into my FSX I'm not 100000% ready to pull the plug yet.

However lets see if I can dip my toes into P3D and see if I get pulled in.... what's the current thinking/ recommendation for running both alongside in re: ORBX, Active Sky, REX etc.

Also what's the best current tweak/ config/ nvidia settings that someone can point me towards (I'm on an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.7 & GTX970)

Cheers Guys ! :)

Welcome and the most important one for me is unlimited` and locked via Nvidia and VSYNC off :-)

Be wise with the sliders all right is asking for a lot of troubles including OOM ;-)

André

No, it was not. A search would have delivered results much quicker than a shot-in-the-dark hoping that somebody will provide the answers.

Yes it was, AVSIM is infested with self righteous arse holes posting keyboard warrior responses such as the one above and I for one am sick of it. Suggesting a newbie search the forums is one thing, being a dick about it is quite another.

Yes it was, AVSIM is infested with self righteous arse holes posting keyboard warrior responses such as the one above and I for one am sick of it. Suggesting a newbie search the forums is one thing, being a dick about it is quite another.

Carry on in the same vein and you are looking at getting yourself banned! That's real smart. Calling Appliance names for expressing his opinion was uncalled for.

Chill! :P :wub:

With the number of new folks in P3D, a bit of repeat help can't hurt (and if you don't feel like helping, move on). Maybe there should be a sticky with some suggested starting settings....